Diamond picks up late passengers

Pushka

We are just off Lombok and just have started cruising out when one of the local tender boats came roaring up. Yep. Mid 'ocean' transfer back onto the boat for one very lucky young couple. Will post video later.

IMG_1483177133.265779.jpg.2162526dbd1352a0fc300460aebd6cd7.jpg

We are just off Lombok and just have started cruising out when one of the local tender boats came roaring up. Yep. Mid 'ocean' transfer back onto the boat for one very lucky young couple. Will post video later.

[ATTACH]401003[/ATTACH]

Starting a cruise or mid cruise.

We did a late Princess excursion, due back to the boat 30 minutes before departure. With traffic we were back to the boat about 15 minutes after we were due to depart. As soon as we boarded the captain pushed off and we were underway.

Still wonder what our fate would have been had it not been a Princess excursion. Stuck in St. Thomas with very little cash, in your bathing suit with two younger children. We haven't booked a late excursion since.

Wonder if they were on a Princess excursion?

I have been on a Princess Excursion to Sark, where due to a medical emergency the ferry was required to wait for an ambulance transfer to the ferry. It was delayed by a long time. The Sark emergency ambulance is ridiculous! My daughter asked me why the ambulance did not have flashing blue lights - I said "Why would it need those?" A second ferry from the main island was used to transfer passengers to ship about 200 of us. It did seem a bit strange to note that all tenders had been stowed away and I could see the anchor going up as we neared the ship. It pays to do the official excursions sometimes.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The captain on one of our Celebrity cruises waited for a late couple in San Juan. We left the port but circled off the coast until they got on board. It was a nice present to them since San Juan was our last port of call before returning to the U.S.

As they were on their own I'd say independent. They were 90 minutes after last tender. The ship had kept our passports.

They are very, very lucky.

The ship could have left their passports with the port agents and called it a day...

I wonder why they were so late?

They are very, very lucky.

The ship could have left their passports with the port agents and called it a day...

I wonder why they were so late?

Bali traffic the day before was horrendous with ships tours 90 minutes late. Lombok wasn't so bad and we were on a ship tour and back on time. So no excuse really. They didn't seem unwell.

I actually think it sends the message the ship won't wait because it didn't wait. They were within 5 minutes of being completely stranded as they were lucky the islands tender boat could catch us.

Edited by Pushka

If they got back late, they should have stranded them. Waiting for them just rewards and encourages tardiness.

DON

Snarky responses are not wanted or needed on here.

Edited by satxdiver

We have been to Cozumel many times and taken the ship excursion over to the Yucatan. One time we were over 30 minutes late after the ship was supposed to sail. Other times we arrived back at the ship well after it was time to be back but before the ship was to sail. It was a ship excursion so they waited and we had about 150 pax on the ferry! We have consistently left people in Cozumel who did not get back in time. I imagine that couple sweat bullets over their late arrival and may have cost them $$$ for the trip out to the ship. Unfortunately it happens.

We will never know. Nothing has been mentioned and only those who saw it know about it.

We'll never know then and we can speculate all we want to. Obviously the captain knew the circumstances and held the boat up for them. So, that day was their lucky day. Good for them.

We'll never know then and we can speculate all we want to. Obviously the captain knew the circumstances and held the boat up for them. So, that day was their lucky day. Good for them.

From what I read of the OP's first post, the Captain did NOT hold the boat for them. The OP said that they were under way when the shore tender came up to the ship so the couple could board. However, it was nice of the Captain to allow them to board once he had "set sail."