Ship time vs. Island time

This question probably gets asked a lot, but a quick search wasn't fruitful so ...

Is the ship time listed for time in port the same as the time on the island? For instance, sailing Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale and we are listed as being in St. Kitt's 9-6, Antigua 7-3 and San Juan 7-2. Is that all based on Fort Lauderdale (eastern) time or does ship's time change to account for an hour later on those islands (which would be 10-7, 8-4, 8-3 in that case).

Yes, I am confused.

This question probably gets asked a lot, but a quick search wasn't fruitful so ...

Is the ship time listed for time in port the same as the time on the island? For instance, sailing Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale and we are listed as being in St. Kitt's 9-6, Antigua 7-3 and San Juan 7-2. Is that all based on Fort Lauderdale (eastern) time or does ship's time change to account for an hour later on those islands (which would be 10-7, 8-4, 8-3 in that case).

Yes, I am confused.

My understanding is the answer to your question is "maybe".

1) If you are doing a 3rd party excursion, ask the excursion operator. They will know what time (locally) the ship gets in. They'll be able to tell you "you have 30 minutes to meet us" (or whatever). They'll also know what time to get you back to the ship (well, the good ones will).

2) Regardless, you should take a time piece with you that does NOT automatically set the time. Make sure the time is matched to the ship before you step off. Make sure you're back according to THAT time and what the compass says.

Yes, I am confused.

Royal has said that the times listed on the pre-cruise itineraries are local times. You cannot predict if a Captain will change ship time or not.

Yes, I am confused.

I'm on Freedom tomorrow I'll try and let you know what the drill is. It should be the same for both of us because we should have the same Captain (Capt Toni Calne). However you will only know for sure when you get there. Edited by FLACRUISER99
sp

No way to know. Just keep an eye on the ship clocks to be sure you know what they're at:p

We've been on 15-16 cruises and I think the Celebrity Silhouette a couple weeks ago is the first time I've personally seen them change the time. They moved the time ahead an hour the first or second day and left them that way until the last night.

On Freedom now and we stayed on ships tine the entire trip. All port arrivals and departures we're on ships time. Yesterday wensrri

I'm on Freedom tomorrow I'll try and let you know what the drill is. It should be the same for both of us because we should have the same Captain (Capt Toni Calne). However you will only know for sure when you get there.
On Freedom now and we stayed on ships tine the entire trip. All port arrivals and departures we're on ships time. Yesterday we arrived at 7 am as the intenery stated on ships time, however it was 8am in Porto Rico.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

In most cases it should be local time but very wise to just check once on board.

Keith

Waiting until you're on board doesn't help if you're trying to plan a 3rd party excursion. Contact the excursion operator. They will be able to tell you how much time will be left before departure when they return you to the ship. Don't ask "what time do you get me to the pier?" Ask "how much time will I have before final boarding call?".

On Freedom now and we stayed on ships tine the entire trip. All port arrivals and departures we're on ships time. Yesterday we arrived at 7 am as the intenery stated on ships time, however it was 8am in Porto Rico.

I'm on Freedom tomorrow I'll try and let you know what the drill is. It should be the same for both of us because we should have the same Captain (Capt Toni Calne). However you will only know for sure when you get there.

Yes, I am confused.

Hi there,

I managed to locate a recent December 2017 Cruise Compass for your itinerary, and it clearly states ship time for port arrival and departure.

I always keep my watch on ship time. This way I plan to be back on board no later then 1 hour before the ship plans to leave to relax. If on tours, then I keep our tours no more then 3/4 hours giving me time to get back and visit the port a little if I choose. Port stops are generally 8 to 10 hours.

I always keep my watch on ship time. This way I plan to be back on board no later then 1 hour before the ship plans to leave to relax. If on tours, then I keep our tours no more then 3/4 hours giving me time to get back and visit the port a little if I choose. Port stops are generally 8 to 10 hours.

Just occurred to me that, on my next Eastern Caribbean cruise, we are sailing to three ports with a one hour time difference (Basseterre, Philipsburg, San Juan) which I've never visited before. Problem is that both my smartphone and smartwatch sync to local time, I may have to take a manual watch to monitor my time in port. Don't want to be left behind!

Thanks for the helpful tips, Desert Cruizers :)

Just occurred to me that, on my next Eastern Caribbean cruise, we are sailing to three ports with a one hour time difference (Basseterre, Philipsburg, San Juan) which I've never visited before. Problem is that both my smartphone and smartwatch sync to local time, I may have to take a manual watch to monitor my time in port. Don't want to be left behind!

Thanks for the helpful tips, Desert Cruizers :)

Not a problem, go into your settings and turn off automatic time sync.

This subject has come up a few times, and it seems to vary from ship to ship, from Captain to Captain, and even from cruise to cruise, with the same Captain, for whatever reason.

I know that answer is not helpful for advance booking of "third party excursion's", but I would not depend on the operator of that excursion to assure you of "knowing" that, either....they are motivated on selling the excursion, mainly...

To be safe, I would allow a safe margin so that you would not "miss the boat", in any event....;)

Your welcome, I rely on my watch and not my phone. Also your compass will give you the time to be back on board so if your keep your watch to ship time then you will be alright. My personal preference for being back on board is within 1 to 2 hrs before we leave and no tours over 4 to 5 hours if in Port the 8 to 10. i am uncomfortable booking a tour lasting as long as we are in port. No room for error, unless it is an overnight stop.

The itinerary is in local port times. This the pilots and port staff use. The captain may or may not change time based on debarkation port (time zone), time of year (DST) or the difference in time of the ports visiting for example. Any changes will be posted in the Cruise Compass.

The itinerary is in local port times. This the pilots and port staff use. The captain may or may not change time based on debarkation port (time zone), time of year (DST) or the difference in time of the ports visiting for example. Any changes will be posted in the Cruise Compass.
No, the itinerary on Freedom is on ships time. I am just finishing the 8 day Eastern Caribbean cruise.

No, the itinerary on Freedom is on ships time. I am just finishing the 8 day Eastern Caribbean cruise.

This was also our experience last week on Vision.

These times were printed on itinerary from last April when we booked. No changes on board. Ship time remained on port of departure time.