Cancellation Dilemma

sippican

Our dear friends needed to cancel this morning (embarkation day). I relaize there is no refund (other than taxes and fees). So here's the question: if we cancel at the pier is it a given that X will just try to upsell the cabin to somone else? I wish we could just turn around and give it to someone. (It's a Sky Suite and I made the reservation.) The selfish part of me just wonders what will happen if we don't formally cancel because I don't want X to make any more money from this unfortunate circumstance .

. I think there are government regulations about turning the manifest of names in before this . Best thing is to call and ask if you an 'switch cruisers'

A few people will ask about upgrades when they check in

. I think there are government regulations about turning the manifest of names in before this . Best thing is to call and ask if you an 'switch cruisers'

A few people will ask about upgrades when they check in

Yes, I meant to say someone who is already on the manifest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had a similar situation, although it was a week prior... you have to keep one original name, so we added a third person, changed one of the first two names and two others went and gave some of the money being lost to the original party.

Since it is embarkation day the only thing to do is to board and go directly to guest relations and explain your dilemma. Ask if it's possible to speak to the Hotel Director and see if they can upgrade your other party to the Sky Suite. It's worth a try.

OP, while your thought is a good one (and so sorry about your friends) how would you ever expect to accomplish what you want? Are you saying you want to "upgrade" some random person for free with your friends' Sky Suite? That is impossible. Who? How would you find someone? How would they get keys?

It is within Celebrity's rights to charge someone already on the manifest for an upgrade to that cabin should someone inquire at boarding...but they probably won't since it's the day of embarkation so they don't even have the info to offer someone. Your friends had the opportunity to purchase cancellation insurance, but apparently chose not to.

I'd just not think about it again, and if you do see someone "new" in that cabin just mentally wish them well.

OP, while your thought is a good one (and so sorry about your friends) how would you ever expect to accomplish what you want? Are you saying you want to "upgrade" some random person for free with your friends' Sky Suite? That is impossible. Who? How would you find someone? How would they get keys?

It is within Celebrity's rights to charge someone already on the manifest for an upgrade to that cabin should someone inquire at boarding...but they probably won't since it's the day of embarkation so they don't even have the info to offer someone. Your friends had the opportunity to purchase cancellation insurance, but apparently chose not to.

I'd just not think about it again, and if you do see someone "new" in that cabin just mentally wish them well.

Was there any reason to put the comment about cancellation insurance other than to chastise the person? These people feel bad enough already. Buying cancellation insurance is not always right for everyone. I have cruised 47 times without having to cancel. I have never purchased insurance (save for medical now that I am on Medicare). Even if I had to cancel my upcoming cruise (heaven forbid), I still would be many $$ ahead of the game by never purchasing insurance. It is an individual decision to be made wisely based on individual circumstances.

Our dear friends needed to cancel this morning (embarkation day). I relaize there is no refund (other than taxes and fees). So here's the question: if we cancel at the pier is it a given that X will just try to upsell the cabin to somone else? I wish we could just turn around and give it to someone. (It's a Sky Suite and I made the reservation.) The selfish part of me just wonders what will happen if we don't formally cancel because I don't want X to make any more money from this unfortunate circumstance .

Why not just say at the pier that it was your dear friend’s request that the suite should be given to someone celebrating a birthday or anniversary?

Depending on the desk person or the manager they may honour your wishes....Even if someone pays to upgrade I am sure they will enjoy their unexpected good fortune...It is very unusual for pier or onboard upgrades to be available. A win for whoever gets the cabin just so sorry for yourselves and your friends....

Hope you can move on and still really enjoy your cruise.

Maybe the OP meant to say:

Our dear friends (meaning her Cruise Critic family),

We needed to cancel this morning......

Was there any reason to put the comment about cancellation insurance other than to chastise the person? These people feel bad enough already. Buying cancellation insurance is not always right for everyone. I have cruised 47 times without having to cancel. I have never purchased insurance (save for medical now that I am on Medicare). Even if I had to cancel my upcoming cruise (heaven forbid), I still would be many $$ ahead of the game by never purchasing insurance. It is an individual decision to be made wisely based on individual circumstances.

Yes. It's just plain stupid! You're right..it costs a few hundred PP. I'll give an answer that worked for us.My spouse had a kidney transplant several years ago. We got on an 11 day Queen Victoria cruise. He got sick while on board(happens frequently the first year or so after a transplant)Cunard was more than delighted to have us disembark at the first port. The ship's DR. said No, I think we can fix this. She pumped him up with fluids & it worked. Cost about $1400 for the treatments. The cruise went on perfectly. We had the insurance & it covered it all. THAT'S WHY you get insurance. Sorry, but no pity form me. You said how much you saved..Well, say you had to be med flighted off the ship. Still think you'd be ahead of the game??? Really? A few hundred K out of pocket? This happened to someone on a Cunard cruise several years ago. We hoped they had insurance. No one knows when an emergency can happen. Pennywise & pound foolish has meaning for a reason!

Edited by keithm
additions

Did your friends already cancel? If your friends are just walking away, is it possible to add either your or your husband to your friends reservation? Your friends wouldn't show up but you would still have the Sky Suite? Maybe one of your friends should cancel and you could add both you and your DH to the Suite. Perhaps you could refund the taxes to your friends and that would be your price for the upgrade.

Yes. It's just plain stupid! You're right..it costs a few hundred PP. I'll give an answer that worked for us.My spouse had a kidney transplant several years ago. We got on an 11 day Queen Victoria cruise. He got sick while on board(happens frequently the first year or so after a transplant)Cunard was more than delighted to have us disembark at the first port. The ship's DR. said No, I think we can fix this. She pumped him up with fluids & it worked. Cost about $1400 for the treatments. The cruise went on perfectly. We had the insurance & it covered it all. THAT'S WHY you get insurance. Sorry, but no pity form me. You said how much you saved..Well, say you had to be med flighted off the ship. Still think you'd be ahead of the game??? Really? A few hundred K out of pocket? This happened to someone on a Cunard cruise several years ago. We hoped they had insurance. No one knows when an emergency can happen. Pennywise & pound foolish has meaning for a reason!

I think you misunderstood......they are discussing 'Cancellation Insurance' not 'Travel Medical Insurance'.........we never purchase the Cancellation Insurance either and if we now had to walk away from a cruise after final payment what we haven't spent on the Cancellation Insurance over the years would offset what we would loose on the cruise fare......that said I would never travel without having proper Travel Medical Insurance, an unforeseen medical emergency could ruin you financially!

Robin :)

I was on a TA a few years ago and a passenger needed to be evacuated from the ship. I knew that they were in a AQ cabin and I was in a balcony. Asked about moving to the AQ Class cabin and paying a fee to do so. Told that they could not move me since they might return. After our last stop before the crossing I asked again and was told that they still owned the cabin and a move was impossible. I do know a case on another where a passenger was moved to a Suite from a balcony and according to them they didn't pay extra. I guess it all depends on who you and they are. OP: Call your TA if you used one and express your concern. If you booked directly through Celebrity, give them a call.

Iamthesea’s is the only post here that gets the picture. The OP worded the post very oddly. The OP, THEY, are the ones who are canceling. They would like to gift their suite to a deserving stranger picked I guess by Guest Services instead of allowing Celebrity to make money by reselling it. Never mind the logistics of this. But that at least explains the situation.

1. The OP didn’t mention travel insurance at all, so I’m not sure why that’s under discussion here.

2. I thought the OP’s friends had to cancel, and possibly, since they were to travel together, that they themselves would also cancel.

3. I can understand the OP’s desire to gift their cabin instead of letting X get double fares for it, but doubt it can be done.

Sippican, I’m sorry this happened, and I hope your friends will be ok.

You can get medical coverage and evacuation insurance separately from cancellation coverage. And in my experience it can be significantly less expensive. I don’t purchase cancellation insurance but have done medical coverage. On one trip specifically, cancellation coverage was $400-$600, medical with evacuation was $30.

You can get medical coverage and evacuation insurance separately from cancellation coverage. And in my experience it can be significantly less expensive. I don’t purchase cancellation insurance but have done medical coverage. On one trip specifically, cancellation coverage was $400-$600, medical with evacuation was $30.

I think Travel Insurance in the UK must be different . Everything is included in one package . All medical , up to a certain amount depending on where you are traveling etc, cancelations etc. it can be as little as $30 a trip

Iamthesea’s is the only post here that gets the picture. The OP worded the post very oddly. The OP, THEY, are the ones who are canceling. They would like to gift their suite to a deserving stranger picked I guess by Guest Services instead of allowing Celebrity to make money by reselling it. Never mind the logistics of this. But that at least explains the situation.

That's not the way I interpreted what they said. It sounds like friends of the OP are canceling but the OP was going to tell Celebrity that they won't be there. I would assume the OP already has a Sky Suite and the OP made the other reservation for their friends. The problem is that today is embarkation day so there was no time to call anyone.

I guess we'll see if the OP ever comes back to let us know what happened.

It is confusing. But going by the OP’s words “if we cancel at the pier “ and “what will happen if we don’t formally cancel.” Surely the OP doesn’t think they can cancel their friends’ booking? And if the OP booked a Sky Suite for their friends and similar accommodations for themselves it would seem unlikely they would have no insurance...but anything is possible...

It is confusing. But going by the OP’s words “if we cancel at the pier “ and “what will happen if we don’t formally cancel.” Surely the OP doesn’t think they can cancel their friends’ booking? And if the OP booked a Sky Suite for their friends and similar accommodations for themselves it would seem unlikely they would have no insurance...but anything is possible...

Because he booked it doesn't mean he paid for it. Of course they can't legally cancel someone else's booking but they can tell Celebrity that they won't be showing up. It sounds like this was a last minute thing that made them unable to sail.

The whole thing made me curious so I just looked at the OP's posts and this cruise is a two day cruise to the Bahamas so no big deal whatever happened.