Never in 10 years on here have I asked.....pools

kcdancerkc

Are you asking if they are drained and filled on turn-around day? Typically not, as many ports have restrictions on the discharging of chlorinated water into the port.

Pools are typically drained and filled once a week, usually late at night at sea. Hot tubs are required to be drained every 72 hours, but more commonly are drained nightly.

Are you asking if they are drained and filled on turn-around day? Typically not, as many ports have restrictions on the discharging of chlorinated water into the port.

Pools are typically drained and filled once a week, usually late at night at sea. Hot tubs are required to be drained every 72 hours, but more commonly are drained nightly.

Is the chlorinated water discharged as is or is it treated first?

Most pools are salt water....so non issue. The only one that I have heard is fresh is Sunshine.

It's my understanding that even salt water is treated chemically somehow. I would suspect that the levels involved are so miniscule that treatment wouldn't be necessary when it's being discharged while the ship is underway since it would be dispersed over a large area rather quickly but was wondering if that is correct or not.

They can't drain and refill in port. They are usually done once per cruise at sea. We showed up once and the pool had a net over it, and asked some staff and they told us they had to wait until they were some miles away. It was gray and a bit rainy, otherwise I think they'd have done it at night.

I would hope they drain the hot tubs nightly.

When we sailed on the Sunshine last 2 times there were adults who never seemed to get out for the bathroom all day, scads of little kids and occasionally a baby or 2 still in diapers .....

I miss going in the hot tubs :eek:

Is the chlorinated water discharged as is or is it treated first?

Nope, discharged as is.

Most pools are salt water....so non issue. The only one that I have heard is fresh is Sunshine.

Even salt water pools, when operated within 12 miles of shore, must be on recirculation, and all recirculation pools must be chlorinated. Pool chlorine must be at 1-5ppm, and hot tubs and "spa pools" (those with air/water jets), must be at 3-10ppm.

The only time that a salt water pool will not be chlorinated is if the vessel is outside of 12 miles from land, and the pool is placed in "flow through" mode, where sea water is constantly pumped into the pool. Since the change back to recirculation requires an hour or two of pool closure until the chlorine levels are correct, most ships will not place salt water pools on flow through unless there are several sea days in a row, to make it worth while, and then schedule the change over at night.

I am sure the salt water pools are sanitized in some way. Salt water carries many bacteria. Filling in port would be gross.

We have a salt water pool. The water goes thru a tube with metal (nickel?) plates that trap the Na and release the Cl. Obviously the water is also filtered.

Did a little looking into this.

The CDC's VSP Operations Manual seems to be pretty clear on the following:

Water Source: Seawater or Potable.

At 12 miles out, the supply can be switched to flow-through.

Inbound, at 12 miles, the pool must either be drained out, or filter recirculated with a sanitizing agent (they say a Halogen, we'll just simplify to Chlorine).

If they go with filtration and sanitizing, they have to close the pool long enough for sanitizer and pH to stabilize (or at least reach acceptable levels)

What I get out of this is that they're going to dump any port pool as soon as they're 12 out to sea, and go to filtered seawater. They COULD ostensibly treat the Cl with Sodium Thiosulfate to neutralize it, but why would they if they don't have to?

Nope, discharged as is.

Even salt water pools, when operated within 12 miles of shore, must be on recirculation, and all recirculation pools must be chlorinated. Pool chlorine must be at 1-5ppm, and hot tubs and "spa pools" (those with air/water jets), must be at 3-10ppm.

The only time that a salt water pool will not be chlorinated is if the vessel is outside of 12 miles from land, and the pool is placed in "flow through" mode, where sea water is constantly pumped into the pool. Since the change back to recirculation requires an hour or two of pool closure until the chlorine levels are correct, most ships will not place salt water pools on flow through unless there are several sea days in a row, to make it worth while, and then schedule the change over at night.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking would happen.

Nope, discharged as is.

Did a little looking into this.

The CDC's VSP Operations Manual seems to be pretty clear on the following:

Water Source: Seawater or Potable.

At 12 miles out, the supply can be switched to flow-through.

Inbound, at 12 miles, the pool must either be drained out, or filter recirculated with a sanitizing agent (they say a Halogen, we'll just simplify to Chlorine).

If they go with filtration and sanitizing, they have to close the pool long enough for sanitizer and pH to stabilize (or at least reach acceptable levels)

What I get out of this is that they're going to dump any port pool as soon as they're 12 out to sea, and go to filtered seawater. They COULD ostensibly treat the Cl with Sodium Thiosulfate to neutralize it, but why would they if they don't have to?

Don,

Chief here is all the research you ever need on ships. Just read his posts...

I would hope they drain the hot tubs nightly.

When we sailed on the Sunshine last 2 times there were adults who never seemed to get out for the bathroom all day, scads of little kids and occasionally a baby or 2 still in diapers .....

I miss going in the hot tubs :eek:

You see babies in pool, call GS. No babies in pool...

We once got up early and saw a hot tub filled 3/4 with wet white sand. Two guys were digging it out. They said a mistake had been made and the tub was filled when the ocean water was not deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never seen a hot tub that was salt water. What had happened was the sand filter had "blown up", and all the sand had been pumped to the hot tub.

We have a salt water pool. The water goes thru a tube with metal (nickel?) plates that trap the Na and release the Cl. Obviously the water is also filtered.

The chlorine generator type is not approved by the USPH/CDC as being sufficiently sensitive enough to bather load to keep the chlorine level at the required point. The ships' pool water, while it is being continually circulated through the filter, also passes through a pH and chlorine sensor, which then sends a signal to the dosing pumps to increase or decrease the amount of acid and chlorine injected. So, this system monitors the chlorine level continually, and instantaneously reacts to changes in bather and biological load in the pool.

The chlorine generator type is not approved by the USPH/CDC as being sufficiently sensitive enough to bather load to keep the chlorine level at the required point. The ships' pool water, while it is being continually circulated through the filter, also passes through a pH and chlorine sensor, which then sends a signal to the dosing pumps to increase or decrease the amount of acid and chlorine injected. So, this system monitors the chlorine level continually, and instantaneously reacts to changes in bather and biological load in the pool.

Thanks for the info.