Jamaica state of emergency

merknerk

Just received a text from my daughter in law and she said that because of violence in Jamaica they are in state of emergency . Only certain parts . Are warning travelers not to go outside resorts. Any ideas how this will effect cruises ? We will be sailing there in a couple of weeks with our family.

A Canadian couple were murdered a week ago - think it was in the area that is under military rule now. Canadian gov't posted recommendation not to travel to Jamaica. I have an excursion booked near Falmouth in two weeks. Haven't decided to cancel or not. A number of years ago my husband and I took an excursion in Jamaica - felt hostility from all we were in contact with - even the guide and bus driver.

A Canadian couple were murdered a week ago - think it was in the area that is under military rule now. Canadian gov't posted recommendation not to travel to Jamaica. I have an excursion booked near Falmouth in two weeks. Haven't decided to cancel or not. A number of years ago my husband and I took an excursion in Jamaica - felt hostility from all we were in contact with - even the guide and bus driver.

We sail on oasis in a few months. Screw Jamaica, I’m staying on the boat. As someone said, the people make it ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow... we never felt hostility in Jamaica. There are overaggressive vendors, yes. But hostility?

I am sure Jamaica isn’t the safest place for independent travelers, but in touristy places we never felt unsafe

We sail on oasis in a few months. Screw Jamaica, I’m staying on the boat. As someone said, the people make it ugly.

We are going back to Haiti and Jamaica in March and we can’t wait to get off the boat.

Haiti is one of my top stops. I love the beaches and snorkeling. Also I like it’s only RCCL cruisers there and I can use my booze package for a cold beer.

There is some bad areas of Jamaica that I wouldn’t go to but all the times I’ve been...I’ve never been worried about my safety. The only concern I’ve had is the long and sometimes crazy bus rides to the excursion...They drive on the left side of the road.

Yes the vendors can be pushy but they are just trying to make a buck to support their families. We now go back to the same private beach club...Beautiful beach with a nice reef for snorkeling. Food and drinks are included. They have private security who keep the vendors away from its guest.

I have never met an mean or ugly Jamaican. All have been friendly...Even the ones trying to sell me some Ganja. When I tell them no thanks...They just say no problem mon.

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

Not only a fence separates the general population but also armed guards equipped with AK47’s. I’ve seen them several times at the top gate by the zip line

If there is the need for guards with AKs that is reason enough not to bother stopping there.

They are the ones you happen to see.

FYI, there are few ports that don't have heavy security. You may just not see them.

I guess you won't be visiting Europe either then

Edited by cruisinfanatic

FYI, there are few ports that don't have heavy security. You may just not see them.

I guess you won't be visiting Europe either then

Been to Europe twice. Going back in 2020. I know more what to expect there. Frankly, Europe is more civilized even with the terrorist threats.

Wow... we never felt hostility in Jamaica. There are overaggressive vendors, yes. But hostility?

I am sure Jamaica isn’t the safest place for independent travelers, but in touristy places we never felt unsafe

Walk outside the main gate in Falmouth. There is a parade.....and you are the float.

Walk outside the main gate in Falmouth. There is a parade.....and you are the float.

That’s where we went to hire a taxi to go to MoBay. Yes, it was rundown , but it wasn’t scary. I believe it was the least pleasant place out of all we visited on our 3 stops.

We just got off the Allure and went to Jamaica and Haiti.

Jamaica was fine... we did the Grotto Express, the caves. No issues then took a taxi to Bluewater Beach for a few hours. I did notice they had a survey in our room when we returned. People were friendly. We have been there a few times with no issues.

Haiti.. we did the island experience to the private island. It was good until the end of it. We could walk around the island on our own, it was small. You could swim and relax and they had a bar. There were some people there not from the ship, so I assumed they were part of the excursion-worked on the island. My 9y/o and I walked around several times looking for shells etc. About 20min prior to leaving I quickly realized those people did not work there as part of the excursion. One of them became VERY hostile with a large stick swinging it around and yelling towards us in their language so I have no idea what was being said. There might of been about 20 of us from the ship there and maybe 5 of them. Security (another local, military) tried to calm him down several times but he would just keep coming and going during the 20mins. Security had the AK47 around his neck.

All in all... we have been to Haiti a couple of times. This particular time I was a little afraid especially knowing I’m there with my son. I complained when we returned. It was pretty nerve racking to say the least.

A lot more problems there than in the US and Caribbean islands that Royal visits. But if you feel safe there.....

I felt safe everywhere I went in Europe - Eastern Med, France, GB, Scandinavia. Didn't feel safe in any of the Mexican ports. In fairness, though, I didn't feel safe in Savannah. In St Maarten last year we wandered a block or so beyond Backstreet - didn't feel safe there either. As we made our way back towards the beach I noticed a kid hop off the back of a scooter. My wife was window shopping and not paying attention. The kid (teenager) was eyeing her bag the whole way, thinking she was alone, while his buddy waited at the scooter. He found out otherwise soon enough, trotted back to the scooter and gave me the finger as he left.

Point being, no place nowadays is 100% safe. It's a matter of degrees, how aware you are of your surroundings and the locale's ability to deal with issues. That last is where places like Haiti and Jamaica fallflat in my humble opinion.

We are going back to Haiti and Jamaica in March and we can’t wait to get off the boat.

Haiti is one of my top stops. I love the beaches and snorkeling. Also I like it’s only RCCL cruisers there and I can use my booze package for a cold beer.

There is some bad areas of Jamaica that I wouldn’t go to but all the times I’ve been...I’ve never been worried about my safety. The only concern I’ve had is the long and sometimes crazy bus rides to the excursion...They drive on the left side of the road.

Yes the vendors can be pushy but they are just trying to make a buck to support their families. We now go back to the same private beach club...Beautiful beach with a nice reef for snorkeling. Food and drinks are included. They have private security who keep the vendors away from its guest.

I have never met an mean or ugly Jamaican. All have been friendly...Even the ones trying to sell me some Ganja. When I tell them no thanks...They just say no problem mon.

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

I would be interested where you go in Jamaica for the snorkeling? I would consider the same. Thanks.

I would be interested where you go in Jamaica for the snorkeling? I would consider the same. Thanks.

We did some snorkeling at the beach in Montego Bay. I was surprised that reef/smaller were alive.

I felt safe everywhere I went in Europe - Eastern Med, France, GB, Scandinavia. Didn't feel safe in any of the Mexican ports. In fairness, though, I didn't feel safe in Savannah. In St Maarten last year we wandered a block or so beyond Backstreet - didn't feel safe there either. As we made our way back towards the beach I noticed a kid hop off the back of a scooter. My wife was window shopping and not paying attention. The kid (teenager) was eyeing her bag the whole way, thinking she was alone, while his buddy waited at the scooter. He found out otherwise soon enough, trotted back to the scooter and gave me the finger as he left.

Point being, no place nowadays is 100% safe. It's a matter of degrees, how aware you are of your surroundings and the locale's ability to deal with issues. That last is where places like Haiti and Jamaica fallflat in my humble opinion.

You can't include Labadee in Haiti. You of course it's there, but it's protected and never had any problem that I know of when the ship went there. If there was, you'd be seeing tread after thread about it.

To not go there because you think it's more unsafe than anywhere else isn't really realistic

You can't include Labadee in Haiti. You of course it's there, but it's protected and never had any problem that I know of when the ship went there. If there was, you'd be seeing tread after thread about it.

To not go there because you think it's more unsafe than anywhere else isn't really realistic

Not more unsafe than anywhere else, just more unsafe than I care to bother with. There are so many itineraries why bother with someplace you're uncomfortable with.

I agree the Jamaicans have quite an aggressve manor in general but we never felt threatened on our trip. That said I probably wouldn' wouldn't get off if I went again.

Not only a fence separates the general population but also armed guards equipped with AK47’s. I’ve seen them several times at the top gate by the zip line

If there is the need for guards with AKs that is reason enough not to bother stopping there.

Not disagreeing with you but Mexican police carry M-16's. It's perception, In a van from Hotel to ship at FLL last month when a family I road with asked why all the guns? Our ships/ports are protected with M-4's and M-60 machine guns. They were from Norway. Can't imagine what they'd think of security in New York..

Edited by ONECRUISER

Sure there are a lot of guns being displayed everywhere but the point is as a foreigner, do you trust or feel comfortable dealing with the local police or sought emergency medical help if you find yourself in trouble in places like Haiti, Jamaica or Mexico? I know what I can expect in most N American cities and western Europe but I cannot say the same in places run by some corrupt or poorly trained police force or their substandard medical facilities.

Of the Caribbean ports I've visited, I noticed that security at the port was pretty light (almost nonexistent) at Grand Cayman and at Grand Turk, and only slightly heavier at Cozumel. Of course, these are relatively small islands that depend heavily on cruise tourism.

Haven't been to MoBay yet, but Falmouth and Ocho Rios both had a "serious" security presence at the port gates. We didn't bother leaving the port area at Falmouth and at Ocho Rios we were hassled enough that we went back in fairly quickly after paying respects to the Bob Marley statue.

At Amber Cove in the D.R., the area outside the port gates is mostly open, but it was the only time that each of us had to show our SeaPass or Sign'n'Sail card to a security guard before our excursion bus was allowed back into the port.

I have been to Jamaica a number of times. Generally feel ok about visiting this port but if there is risk of trouble, I would not go on any excursions or go outside the secure port area. There are quite a few shops to explore within the secure area in Falmouth which feels very safe.

Europe -- pick pockets..

Didn't Nassau get warnings too about violence and stuff.

Walked out of the gate in Falmouth -- was ok -- lots of police around so I guess I felt safe. If the street looked unsafe, we didn't bother walking down that but really, nothing there outside the gate.

Sure there are a lot of guns being displayed everywhere but the point is as a foreigner, do you trust or feel comfortable dealing with the local police or sought emergency medical help if you find yourself in trouble in places like Haiti, Jamaica or Mexico? I know what I can expect in most N American cities and western Europe but I cannot say the same in places run by some corrupt or poorly trained police force or their substandard medical facilities.

Because Labadee is owned by Royal Caribbean, the "police force" and medical teams are actually the same ones you have on the ship.