Not happy with Norwegian Cruise Lines

stuufy1

I have been a big fan of NCL but not so much right now. On our recent cruise through the Panama we were assure that NCL would cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo in 2019 (and although the cruise was available for booking we were even given a date that the cruise would depart). It turns out that none of it is true and NCL isn't sailing to Tokyo from Vancouver. We purchased credits for the Tokyo cruise (then on to Singapore) based on what we were told. Now NCL is using a clause in the Next Cruise contract and refusing to refund our deposit.To my way of think this is very dishonest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

:mad:

I have been a big fan of NCL but not so much right now. On our recent cruise through the Panama we were assure that NCL would cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo in 2019 (and although the cruise was available for booking we were even given a date that the cruise would depart). It turns out that none of it is true and NCL isn't sailing to Tokyo from Vancouver. We purchased credits for the Tokyo cruise (then on to Singapore) based on what we were told. Now NCL is using a clause in the Next Cruise contract and refusing to refund our deposit.To my way of think this is very dishonest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

There are no guarantees. Being "assured" is different that entering into a contract with the corporation. I don't think there was any deliberate deception and that the cruise people give you the best information available at the time.

Sell your certificates, at cost, if you don't intend to cruise in the next 4 years. You could only assume that you could use 1 certificate (although they have specials that let you use two certificates from time to time).

There are no guarantees. Being "assured" is different that entering into a contract with the corporation. I don't think there was any deliberate deception and that the cruise people give you the best information available at the time.

Sell your certificates, at cost, if you don't intend to cruise in the next 4 years. You could only assume that you could use 1 certificate (although they have specials that let you use two certificates from time to time).

For me a corporation should stand behind their employees. If said corporation doesn't in my books they use deceitful practices. If you can't trust them for the small things why should you trust them for more important things?

So it is not true that the "assure" you of a certain cruise ("none of that is true")? It is very easily possible that the plans at the time of your discussion were for NCL to sail that cruise and since then things changed. I see nothing at all that indicates any one lied to anyone. Just sell the certificates, no harm no foul. Move on from this non-issue.

When was this? Because I think you do have a set number of days that you can get a refund.

It was at the end of April so I'm past the 30 days. I can see them sticking to the "rule" if I'd just changed my mind. But that is not the case. The Next Cruise agent checked her screen and told us that NCL was cruising from Vancouver to Tokyo September 27, 2017 and then on to Singapore 19 days later. We bought the certificates based on that information

Edited by stuufy1
grammar mistake

OH WOW!!! What they told you at the time you bought the Cruise Next certificates was true.

Itinerary changes occur ALL THE TIME. Over the last month or so a number of changes have occurred including The Joy coming from the China market to sail the Alaskan market replacing The Pearl who will head for The Baltic. I would expect a number of other changes to occur as well.

Take them to court

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have a cousin who is a lawyer in New Jersey and I'm going to ask him to send them a letter but I'm so disappointed in Norwegian. I imagined that they were more trustworthy that misleading their customers and then using a gobbledygook contract as a reason for not doing the right thing.

It was at the end of April so I'm past the 30 days. I can see them stick too that "rule" if I'd just changed my mind. But that is not the case. The Next Cruise agent checked her screen and told us that NCL was cruising from Vancouver to Tokyo September 27, 2017 and then on to Singapore 19 days later. We bought the certificates based on that information

2017, is that a typo? Are you still mad from a year ago? Is this a windup?

There is a transpac from Vancouver to Tokyo leaving Sep 17th-Oct 6, hurry you still have time to book it. It goes on to Singapore B2B, Oct 6 to 22nd. Norwegian Jewel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OH WOW!!! What they told you at the time you bought the Cruise Next certificates was true.

Itinerary changes occur ALL THE TIME. Over the last month or so a number of changes have occurred including The Joy coming from the China market to sail the Alaskan market replacing The Pearl who will head for The Baltic. I would expect a number of other changes to occur as well.

From my point of view that isn't the point. An Norwegian employee mislead us into purchasing something and that something is no later available. I believe NCL should refund us for the purchase price. They had a loyal customer - that customer is very upset with them and if they acted responsibly they could save the relationship. I wonder if they know how much it cost them to get a new customer.

I have a cousin who is a lawyer in New Jersey and I'm going to ask him to send them a letter but I'm so disappointed in Norwegian. I imagined that they were more trustworthy that misleading their customers and then using a gobbledygook contract as a reason for not doing the right thing.

I am curious what satisfactory outcome you expect from engaging a lawyer? I assume you expect free legal assistance for this enormous tragedy of humanity? Should they charter the ship just for you to take the itinerary that was scheduled before it changed?

And before you think I am being too cold, you purchased certificates that currently have a value of exactly what you paid. So you are not out any money. The cruise itinerary you wanted to sail in 2019 has been changed so you want to engage a family lawyer. If this is the biggest worry in your life ...

2017, is that a typo? Are you still mad from a year ago? Is this a windup?

There is a transpac from Vancouver to Tokyo leaving Sep 17th-Oct 6, hurry you still have time to book it. It goes on to Singapore B2B, Oct 6 to 22nd. Norwegian Jewel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It is a typo

I am curious what satisfactory outcome you expect from engaging a lawyer? I assume you expect free legal assistance for this enormous tragedy of humanity? Should they charter the ship just for you to take the itinerary that was scheduled before it changed?

And before you think I am being too cold, you purchased certificates that currently have a value of exactly what you paid. So you are not out any money. The cruise itinerary you wanted to sail in 2019 has been changed so you want to engage a family lawyer. If this is the biggest worry in your life ...

I wouldn't engage a lawyer for such a small amount but I will ask a family member to send them a letter. I think NCL shouldn't engage in misleading practices and I think they should be made aware of such behavior costs them customers. What I want is that they refund me the purchase price of the certificates. Nothing more. Why are you taking things to the extreme?

From my point of view that isn't the point. An Norwegian employee mislead us into purchasing something and that something is no later available. I believe NCL should refund us for the purchase price. They had a loyal customer - that customer is very upset with them and if they acted responsibly they could save the relationship. I wonder if they know how much it cost them to get a new customer.

You first sentence says it all "From my point of view that isn't the point".

So no matter what anyone says it doesn't matter.

Just guessing but your lawyer cousin probably doesn't/wouldn't stand a chance against NCL's corporate lawyers.

I will be cruising in the next four years (probably once or twice a year) it just won't be with NCL. If they aren't trust worthy on such a small matter are they trustworthy on bigger things.

I will be cruising in the next four years (probably once or twice a year) it just won't be with NCL If they aren't trust worthy on such a small matter are they trustworthy on bigger things

Are you angry that the itinerary no longer is being offered or that they won't refund your certificates?

Did you reserve this with a credit card? I'm presuming you did...

First of all tell them (NCL) you are going to dispute this with your credit company, a lot of times this will be enough for them to refund your money. But don't wait too long ( I personally would give them 48 hrs to acknowledge this) then go ahead and set up the dispute. Or just go ahead and dispute it right now.

Call your credit card company (or if you are online you can start the procedure this yourself) and dispute this charge.

Keep all documentation, write down every conversation that you remember, all with dates and times, because your CC company will ask for evidence. They will call you to discuss this.

I have done this a few times, some personal and some through business, never had the problem declined, and the CC company has covered the cost.

I'm going to follow this thread, please report back.

As I am sure your family member will tell you, there is a big leap from a simple mistake/misunderstanding to misrepresentation. Misrepresentation is a tort that requires a claimant to establish a specific state of mind. In this case, for a claim of actual misrepresentation, you would have to establish that that the representation, at the time it was made, was known by the offending party to be false or was made recklessly without knowledge of the truth. Good luck with that.

I agree with everyone else, just use them on another cruise or sell them at cost.