Not happy with Norwegian Cruise Lines

stuufy1

It really is interesting in watching the predicaments people get themselves in partly due to misguided expectations, complete ignorance of how the law and contracts work followed by a refusal to listen to any factual information that contradicts their skewed viewpoint.

Almost as interesting as the "NCL can do no wrong" crowd. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering why OP doesn't attempt to resolve the issue right here, right now!

"I have 2 cruise next certificates to sell, send me an email and we can get this done!"

Would be so much easier and would mean OP could get back to living instead of stuck in this vortex he/she's in right now.

Thank you. I'm really telling my story with the hope that other's will not be foolish enough to buy cruise credits. I'll try to speak with someone at NCL who gives a darn about their reputation. If that doesn't I'll sell the certificates and avoid sailing with NCL:halo:

Well it won't work.

The cruise credits are valid on any NCL cruise for the next four years. I think you would find it very hard to prove that you bought the certificates purely to use on the cruise that existed when you bought them, but doesn't exist now. The cruise Next Certificates are non specific. As has been pointed out you could sell them at the value you bought them for. This insistence that NCL refund you for some non specific Cruise Next Certificates is just making you look silly and will not hurt NCL's reputation one iota. Good luck in your upcoming your word against their word battle. You'll need it.

No need to apologize. I'm probably confusing. I bought $500US in credits. NCL had a promotion on that doubled that amount. All I want back from NCL is the original monies I paid them - $500US

Actually you'd only be entitled to $250 back, since you only paid $250 for the certificates (the other $250 being credited to your onboard account). You do seem overly upset about this situation so for NCL's sake I do hope they refund you your $250 so you can go find something else to take up your time and energy.

Do you often make assumptions about people without anything to go on? Why can't we just agree to disagree? Why the name calling?

So you are ignoring the assumptions that you made about me? You could of have suggested we agree to diasgree after my first comment, but you didnt (which supports my theory). No I am not "treated badly" as you *assumed* I just don't expect anyone to break I contract I agreed to, simply because I no longer like the terms. Nobody mislead you. Itinerary changes are also pretty common. So if there was only one cruise that you wanted to travel on in the next four years, a CruiseNext certificate was not a good idea. But obviously it is evil NCLs fault.

Almost as interesting as the "NCL can do no wrong" crowd. :rolleyes:

Only on here could this be spun into a 'NCL is wrong'.

Itineraries change, we all know that. To buy a general gift certificate expecting to use it on one particular voyage is risky at best because common sense tells you this gift certificate can't be locked into it.

Edited by ray98

I will be cruising in the next four years (probably once or twice a year) it just won't be with NCL. If they aren't trust worthy on such a small matter are they trustworthy on bigger things.

So happy to hear this. What lines are you cruising? I want to be on a ship with as few people like you as possible.

They did not lie to you. They gave you the correct information at the time. Then things change. Guess what? I booked a cruise that was supposed to go to Dominica. The itinerary changed. We wanted to go to Dominica (it was somewhere new!). But now we are not going. We are not planning on suing anyone, nor do we expect a refund.

The itinerary we booked for a cruise last year changed as well. No thoughts of suing. You do things based on information people give you. Things change. You deal. You do not call a freaking lawyer. Or, well, you have your poor relative step in for you. I feel sorry for them.

Thank you. I'm really telling my story with the hope that other's will not be foolish enough to buy cruise credits. I'll try to speak with someone at NCL who gives a darn about their reputation. If that doesn't I'll sell the certificates and avoid sailing with NCL:halo:

CruiseNext certificates are some of the best deals in the industry in my opinion.

Sell the certificates, you can actually make a profit on them.

From my point of view that isn't the point. An Norwegian employee mislead us into purchasing something and that something is no later available. I believe NCL should refund us for the purchase price. They had a loyal customer - that customer is very upset with them and if they acted responsibly they could save the relationship. I wonder if they know how much it cost them to get a new customer.

I think they prefer new customers, who usually end up spending more on the things that bring in the most revenue, line pictures, spa services, souvenirs... Itineraries are fluid, changing all of the time. Just sell them for $150 each and get your money back, much easier.

I'll never buy cruise credits again. Wouldn't have this time if the agent was so sure that the cruise we wanted was going to happen in 2019. I'll continue to see if I can get someone more senior involved. I just want them to refund the original purchase price of the certificates. I'm so disappointed that NCL isn't more honourable. I guess the lesson is don't trust anything any cruiseline says :(

Seriously, for ALL this effort you've put into complaining on CC, you could have already sold them ten times over on E**y, F**eb**k, or any other number of websites including Cruise Critic.

Let me help you out, here is all you need to post... "I've got two Cruise Next certificates to sell. Asking $250 for both and will transfer to you officially through NCL. This are good for approximately 3.5 more years."

Post that, and your problem will likely be resolved in no time flat.

Why do people keep feeding the trolls? This thread just stinks so bad with a capital T.

Everything there is to say has been said. Wish the mods would read these threads now and then, decide which ones have run their course, and close them!

If these certificates were only for the Vancouver to Tokyo cruise why didn’t you just book the cruise when you bought the certificates?

I believe NCL would have just reinstated the certificates so OP would be in the same situation anyways. Although I find it hard to believe they can’t find another itinerary they would like to do in the next 4 years.

Seriously? "Not foolish enough to buy"... Cruise deployments change. Most sane people get that. Itineraries change. Most sane people get that. It happens.

There is no reason what-so-ever to quit buying certificates because NCL cancelled one cruise that one person is pissed off about being cancelled. I've easily bought a half dozen or more certificates over the years and never have I gone to the extent to complain like you have about anything.

Just sell them and be done.

My family and I printed our cruise docs today for our upcoming Bliss cruise. My dad asked what the CruiseNext paper is that printed with the docs, I told him its nothing, throw it out. With all the problems I've read about them, its not worth it to us.

I would suggest you take the time to actually get a good understanding of them then... Because they are definitely worth it if you cruise often (within every 2-4 years at least). They can definitely save you some money in the process.

No need to apologize. I'm probably confusing. I bought $500US in credits. NCL had a promotion on that doubled that amount. All I want back from NCL is the original monies I paid them - $500US

You didn't pay them $500 for $500 in credits. You either paid $250 for $500 or you paid $500 for $1000.

There is no way what-so-ever you paid them even value at $500 for $500 in credit. That isn't how Cruise Next works at all.

No, it is probably me that is confused. I've always read (haven't purchased one yet) that when you purchased the cruise next onboard, you received OBC to spend on the cruise you were sailing on and that was the incentive to purchase it. So I'm assuming that you purchase the one for $1,000, where you received $500 in OBC, which would leave your actual out of pocket cost at $500. I think others are thinking you purchased the one for $500 and received the $250 OBC for the cruise you were sailing on, which would leave your actual out of pocket cost at $250, but are looking for NCL to reimburse you the $500, letting you keep the $250 OBC you spent on the cruise you were sailing on. Or maybe NCL has changed the entire program and no longer offers the OBC as an incentive.

I still think you should try to sell the voucher on here; many have done so and it seemed to be very easy and very quick.

BTW, love your city.

Edited by NLH Arizona

so you are going to take them to court based on he said, she said. Unless it is pretty much in writing that would be a really stupid idea. Plans for one itinerary over another do change from time to time. The OP didn't tell us how long ago the certificates were purchased. :confused:

I now, have read most of the OPs ranting and see the certificates were purchased more than 30 days ago. That still doesn't mean there is any grounds for a law suit. The op is upset, I guess I understand but there is never anything that keeps a cruise line from changing an itinerary. Just like airlines change theirs. The more the OP tries to defend his/her rant, the more people are wondering what the problem is.

No i wouldn't as i wouldn't have made the same mistake

Maybe i should've used an eye raising emoji but my response was meant to be sarcastic [emoji849].... The OP can do whatever she wants

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have been a big fan of NCL but not so much right now. On our recent cruise through the Panama we were assure that NCL would cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo in 2019 (and although the cruise was available for booking we were even given a date that the cruise would depart). It turns out that none of it is true and NCL isn't sailing to Tokyo from Vancouver. We purchased credits for the Tokyo cruise (then on to Singapore) based on what we were told. Now NCL is using a clause in the Next Cruise contract and refusing to refund our deposit.To my way of think this is very dishonest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

:mad:

Schedules change all the time. Cruise somewhere else, or sell the certificates. Has NCL taken away the ability for a refund?

Schedules change all the time. Cruise somewhere else, or sell the certificates. Has NCL taken away the ability for a refund?

She purchased in April, refund clock has run out, we are now trying to convince her to sell them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

so you are going to take them to court based on he said, she said. Unless it is pretty much in writing that would be a really stupid idea. Plans for one itinerary over another do change from time to time. The OP didn't tell us how long ago the certificates were purchased. :confused:

I now, have read most of the OPs ranting and see the certificates were purchased more than 30 days ago. That still doesn't mean there is any grounds for a law suit. The op is upset, I guess I understand but there is never anything that keeps a cruise line from changing an itinerary. Just like airlines change theirs. The more the OP tries to defend his/her rant, the more people are wondering what the problem is.

As the ranter - wonder what the heck you are talking about. I said I feel Norwegian Cruise Lines was being dishonest. I said I was thinking of having a lawyer send them a letter. Where you got lawsuit for a $500 credit I have no idea.

As the ranter - wonder what the heck you are talking about. I said I feel Norwegian Cruise Lines was being dishonest. I said I was thinking of having a lawyer send them a letter. Where you got lawsuit for a $500 credit I have no idea.

So just do it already. Are you in need of praise or something?

No, it is probably me that is confused. I've always read (haven't purchased one yet) that when you purchased the cruise next onboard, you received OBC to spend on the cruise you were sailing on and that was the incentive to purchase it. So I'm assuming that you purchase the one for $1,000, where you received $500 in OBC, which would leave your actual out of pocket cost at $500. I think others are thinking you purchased the one for $500 and received the $250 OBC for the cruise you were sailing on, which would leave your actual out of pocket cost at $250, but are looking for NCL to reimburse you the $500, letting you keep the $250 OBC you spent on the cruise you were sailing on. Or maybe NCL has changed the entire program and no longer offers the OBC as an incentive.

I still think you should try to sell the voucher on here; many have done so and it seemed to be very easy and very quick.

BTW, love your city.

Thanks - I love my city also. We purchased the certificates the very last day of our Panama Cruise so no on board credits. In fact the promotion from Norwegian Cruise Lines was they gave double the credits - so when I bought $500 they gave me an extra $500. Hope that makes sense. I'm more than willing to sell the certificates so if anyone is interested - I paid $500 US - If anyone pays me that amount and you'll get $1000 US in credits. You can only use one certificate per cruise (2 if you book a balcony or better). The certificates expiry in April 2022.

Not from NCL's pov

OP bought certificates that could be used on any cruise. They are not cruise specific, and thus OP, is out of luck. The certificates are still good, just not for what OP wanted. had OP bothered to buy them and then book while on board there would have been a refund, but because OP has the certificates the refund is not going to happen even in Judge Judy land.