Not happy with Norwegian Cruise Lines

stuufy1

Thank you for your sage legal advise. I have no doubt you are correct. In Canada it appears we do indeed have more protection than you do in the US.

I was not providing legal advice to you specifically, just giving you my impression based on the limited facts presented. That said, you should also be careful to try to force NCL to take any action based on a Canadian consumer protection law. Their legal department will most likely point you to Item 12 from the terms and conditions of your cruise next certificate, which incorporates by reference the terms and conditions of NCL's passenger ticket contract. As most people on here know, those terms force you to bring a claim in binding arbitration only in Miami (possibly applying the law of the Bahamas, where the ships save POA are registered).

I think I agree with what most people have said here. I would either try to sell them if that's an option, or see if you can speak to a supervisor and see if you can get anywhere with them. I had an issue with Celebrity a few years ago, and I was able to track down the email address of an executive. I emailed them, and they transferred my complaint to a higher department than their normal customer service center. You may be able to try a similar avenue with Norwegian to see if any agreeable terms can be met that satisfy what you want, though it seems rather unclear as to what you want.

With that said, what occurred can happen on any cruise line, and I doubt it was intentional. Proving it to be intentional would be nearly impossible, and I wouldn't consult your cousin over such a matter. I know if a friend or family member asked me to write such a letter, I wouldn't get involved (I'm not a lawyer or a paralegal, but I am in a law-related field).

Norwegian is first protected by the Next Cruise contract, which is also what you would have agreed to by making your purchase. It would be your burden of proof to show they sold you the certificates under intentional false pretenses. It's doubtful you have any record of the conversation regarding the specific cruise you were looking for took place and was "promised." Even if you had proof, such as a recorded conversation, you'd have to prove the individual who told you did so knowing what they were saying was false, and they intentionally deceived you so that you would make the purchase. Almost an impossible feat. I don't think a letter from an attorney would help in this situation, as there's no legal pressure that can be applied or even implied in a letter.

I understand your anger and frustration over this, I probably would be too, but this happens on a daily basis for customers on every cruise line. Just realize if you don't cruise Norwegian again, a similar situation, or even a worse situation may occur to you on another line.

I'll never buy cruise credits again. Wouldn't have this time if the agent was so sure that the cruise we wanted was going to happen in 2019. I'll continue to see if I can get someone more senior involved. I just want them to refund the original purchase price of the certificates. I'm so disappointed that NCL isn't more honourable. I guess the lesson is don't trust anything any cruiseline says :(

I'll never buy cruise credits again. Wouldn't have this time if the agent was so sure that the cruise we wanted was going to happen in 2019. I'll continue to see if I can get someone more senior involved. I just want them to refund the original purchase price of the certificates. I'm so disappointed that NCL isn't more honourable. I guess the lesson is don't trust anything any cruiseline says :(

I think everyone understands you are upset and I would be annoyed as well if that has happened to me. I think all we are saying is you could probably resolve this issue faster with the same result if you took it into you own hands. How about exploring both avenues simultaneously? Reach out to NCL and post them for sale at the same time . . . if they sell you can still tell NCL how disappointed you are and if NCL gets back first and accommodates you, great!

I was serious when I said I wised you the best of luck, I hope you get a positive resolution.

I was not providing legal advice to you specifically, just giving you my impression based on the limited facts presented. That said, you should also be careful to try to force NCL to take any action based on a Canadian consumer protection law. Their legal department will most likely point you to Item 12 from the terms and conditions of your cruise next certificate, which incorporates by reference the terms and conditions of NCL's passenger ticket contract. As most people on here know, those terms force you to bring a claim in binding arbitration only in Miami (possibly applying the law of the Bahamas, where the ships save POA are registered).

Thank you. I'm really telling my story with the hope that other's will not be foolish enough to buy cruise credits. I'll try to speak with someone at NCL who gives a darn about their reputation. If that doesn't I'll sell the certificates and avoid sailing with NCL:halo:

I think everyone understands you are upset and I would be annoyed as well if that has happened to me. I think all we are saying is you could probably resolve this issue faster with the same result if you took it into you own hands. How about exploring both avenues simultaneously? Reach out to NCL and post them for sale at the same time . . . if they sell you can still tell NCL how disappointed you are and if NCL gets back first and accommodates you, great!

I was serious when I said I wised you the best of luck, I hope you get a positive resolution.

Again thank you. I too am serious:halo:

Thank you. I'm really telling my story with the hope that other's will not be foolish enough to buy cruise credits. I'll try to speak with someone at NCL who gives a darn about their reputation. If that doesn't I'll sell the certificates and avoid sailing with NCL:halo:

We always but at least two and we will continue to do so. I will not be foolish enough to think that cruise itineraries never change though!

There is a difference between an employee just making up an itinerary to trick you into buying something versus an itinerary existing at the time you asked and said itinerary changing at a later date. One is fraud, while the other is poor luck. Do you think the employee actually lied to you? If not, I dont understand the issue. If you buy a gift certificate to a store, that later discontinues your favorite product do you think the store is going to refund you?

File a claim in small claims court. Did you get some OBC for purchasing it, if so, then you would want the purchase price, less the OBC, correct?

BTW, I've seen people sell them on here, you might try that.[/quote

No on board credit for the Panama Cruise - if that is what you are asking

You are now making false statements. When you buy two CN certificates they charge you $500 ($250 face vale x 2) and they give you $250 OBC so you end up getting 2 for 1. Right now you are ahead $250.

We always but at least two and we will continue to do so. I will not be foolish enough to think that cruise itineraries never change though!

Why are you fixated on itineraries?:halo: I thought that was discussed and agreed upon ages ago. If you want to give NCL your money that is up to you.

You are now making false statements. When you buy two CN certificates they charge you $500 ($250 face vale x 2) and they give you $250 OBC so you end up getting 2 for 1. Right now you are ahead $250.

I just want my original purchase price back - nothing eles

There is a difference between an employee just making up an itinerary to trick you into buying something versus an itinerary existing at the time you asked and said itinerary changing at a later date. One is fraud, while the other is poor luck. Do you think the employee actually lied to you? If not, I dont understand the issue. If you buy a gift certificate to a store, that later discontinues your favorite product do you think the store is going to refund you?

Retailers I trust would without question. Are you really treat so badly where you come from?

Retailers I trust would without question. Are you really treat so badly where you come from?

I just have realistic expectations and a good understanding of the terms & conditions of my purchases. You seem to have a victim complex.

If you want to get technical, OP could possibly raise a claim of fraud in the inducement of contract (purchase of the certificate), but that would have the same hurdle of establishing that the NCL agent acted with the requisite mental state (that they knew what they were saying, at the time they said it was wrong).

I disagree...the actions of the NCL agent have a higher bar.

My family and I printed our cruise docs today for our upcoming Bliss cruise. My dad asked what the CruiseNext paper is that printed with the docs, I told him its nothing, throw it out. With all the problems I've read about them, its not worth it to us.

I have been a big fan of NCL but not so much right now. On our recent cruise through the Panama we were assure that NCL would cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo in 2019 (and although the cruise was available for booking we were even given a date that the cruise would depart). It turns out that none of it is true and NCL isn't sailing to Tokyo from Vancouver. We purchased credits for the Tokyo cruise (then on to Singapore) based on what we were told. Now NCL is using a clause in the Next Cruise contract and refusing to refund our deposit.To my way of think this is very dishonest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

[emoji35]

OK if I understand you correctly you were interested in cruising from your home area in Vancouver to Tokyo in 2017. You were told on a cruise in April 2017 that you could buy a cruise next certificate and use it for the cruise to tokyo. You discovered after the purchase that NCL was not going to have a cruise to Tokyo from Vancouver. I assume that NCL originally planned to have the cruise to Tokyo from Vancouver. I understand your disappointment but if you have always been a fan of NCL I don’t see a problem here. If you are a fan then you will very likely cruise again and be able to use that cruise next certificate for your future cruise. I don’t know if you purchased one $250 certificate for $150 or whether you purchased two $250 certificates for $250 but either way you got a good deal if you plan to cruise on Norwegian again! If you don’t plan to cruise on Norwegian again I’m really surprised that you would plan such an important trip as traveling to Tokyo on an international trip with the cruise line you don’t like! If you have buyers remorse rest assured you can sell those cruise next certificates on the internet for more than you paid for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, I'm a little confused. What is the purchase price you want back?

No need to apologize. I'm probably confusing. I bought $500US in credits. NCL had a promotion on that doubled that amount. All I want back from NCL is the original monies I paid them - $500US

I just have realistic expectations and a good understanding of the terms & conditions of my purchases. You seem to have a victim complex.

Do you often make assumptions about people without anything to go on? Why can't we just agree to disagree? Why the name calling?

No need to apologize. I'm probably confusing. I bought $500US in credits. NCL had a promotion on that doubled that amount. All I want back from NCL is the original monies I paid them - $500US

If you get your original $500 back, you actually will have profited $250 because that amount was credited to your onboard account when you bought them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Take them to court

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

so you are going to take them to court based on he said, she said. Unless it is pretty much in writing that would be a really stupid idea. Plans for one itinerary over another do change from time to time. The OP didn't tell us how long ago the certificates were purchased. :confused:

I now, have read most of the OPs ranting and see the certificates were purchased more than 30 days ago. That still doesn't mean there is any grounds for a law suit. The op is upset, I guess I understand but there is never anything that keeps a cruise line from changing an itinerary. Just like airlines change theirs. The more the OP tries to defend his/her rant, the more people are wondering what the problem is.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I have a cousin who is a lawyer in New Jersey and I'm going to ask him to send them a letter but I'm so disappointed in Norwegian. I imagined that they were more trustworthy that misleading their customers and then using a gobbledygook contract as a reason for not doing the right thing.

Is his name Vinny?

It really is interesting in watching the predicaments people get themselves in partly due to misguided expectations, complete ignorance of how the law and contracts work followed by a refusal to listen to any factual information that contradicts their skewed viewpoint.

It really is interesting in watching the predicaments people get themselves in partly due to misguided expectations, complete ignorance of how the law and contracts work followed by a refusal to listen to any factual information that contradicts their skewed viewpoint.

Waiting for how OP's predicament turns into another way that NCL nickel and dimes people. LOL In the case 💰 them.