Gty cabin, "free" upgrade

AshleyJax

Hello All,

So I booked a gty inside cabin, and the booking indicated that my category (IF) could put us anywhere on 8,9 floor. This was fine for us. We sail in two weeks and my category is currently sold out, so I decided to call NCL to see if they had any idea when my cabin # would be assigned. I was informed that there arent any cabins left in my category and would likely be assigned to a the next category, which would be a family inside room (I1). However, in this category we could be assigned to the 5th floor, which I do NOT want. Two questions:

1) How could this possibly be considered an "upgrade" when the cabins look the same, are the same size, and I could end up on 5?

2) Is there anyway to avoid ending up on the 5th floor without paying a ton of money to upgrade to a balcony or oceanview (with what is left, upgrading would cost at least $800)?

Whether something is treated as an upgrade by NCL is completely dependent on the cabin grades that are set out by NCL. Whether it is considered an upgrade or not by the customer is very much based on opinion, especially if things like which deck is important.

The fact is that, if NCL considers it an upgrade based on their criteria then that is the way it is. This is one reason why many of us would never book a guarantee.

As to whether you can do anything about it, I believe not without paying any money to upgrade. There is no harm in asking I suppose, and others will have more information on that, but from what I read, I don’t think you will get anywhere. I will be happy to be corrected if that is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry about what cabin you may get yet.

NCL could upgrade someone booked in one of the locations that you hoped for , then you get put there.

Booking a Guarantee may not have been a good choice for this OP that has location preferences.

....because deck level isn't the sole factor in deciding the value of a cabin.

I realize that, but I dont understand how a room that looks the same (and is the same size) and is on the same side (i.e., aft, mid) could be considered in a higher category

Hello All,

So I booked a gty inside cabin, and the booking indicated that my category (IF) could put us anywhere on 8,9 floor. This was fine for us. We sail in two weeks and my category is currently sold out, so I decided to call NCL to see if they had any idea when my cabin # would be assigned. I was informed that there arent any cabins left in my category and would likely be assigned to a the next category, which would be a family inside room (I1). However, in this category we could be assigned to the 5th floor, which I do NOT want. Two questions:

1) How could this possibly be considered an "upgrade" when the cabins look the same, are the same size, and I could end up on 5?

2) Is there anyway to avoid ending up on the 5th floor without paying a ton of money to upgrade to a balcony or oceanview (with what is left, upgrading would cost at least $800)?

What you Want Is not a consideration with a GTY.

YOU gave that away for a cheaper price.

Don't worry about what cabin you may get yet.

NCL could upgrade someone booked in one of the locations that you hoped for , then you get put there.

Booking a Guarantee may not have been a good choice for this OP that has location preferences.

When I booked, it was explained to me that we were guaranteed an inside room on 8 or 9 or higher. In retrospect, the person may have meant or in a higher "category" but that was not clearly stated.

Hello All, So I booked a gty inside cabin, and the booking indicated that my category (IF) could put us anywhere on 8,9 floor. This was fine for us. We sail in two weeks and my category is currently sold out, so I decided to call NCL to see if they had any idea when my cabin # would be assigned. I was informed that there arent any cabins left in my category and would likely be assigned to a the next category, which would be a family inside room (I1). However, in this category we could be assigned to the 5th floor, which I do NOT want. Two questions:

You are guaranteed an inside room. You could end up with a nice, quite room. You could end up with a room over a 24/7 crew area or public area with loud music into the wee hours of the morning. You could end up with a room under the gym with treadmills going from 6 am to 11 pm. That is what you paid for.

The I1 category is considered the "best" inside room by NCL. The deck number is not the determining factor on what the cabin class is.

When I booked, it was explained to me that we were guaranteed an inside room on 8 or 9 or higher. In retrospect, the person may have meant or in a higher "category" but that was not clearly stated.

Higher category, not higher deck, you misunderstood.

Right, a higher category.

I have read one story of someone in an inside getting free upgrade to a DOS. But with the new bidding process that probably won't happen anymore.

Believe it or not, low, amidships, and inside is the preferred location for many cruisers. NCL, Princess, and some other lines have caught on to this and cabins in those locations are now priced higher and higher cabin category) than they used to be.

....but the higher category would actually be an ID. Still a FWD cabin but on decks 10-12.

Look at the Escape for example....mid ship and higher is the prime insides which are IA's. IF is worst....lowest cabins which are either FWD/AFT.

Category.....Deck.....Location.....Avg Per Personescape_cat_IA.gif

IA....13,14,15....Mid$899

Located on a high deck. Sleeps up to four.escape_cat_IB.gif

IB........11,12......Mid$889

Convenient mid-ship location. Sleeps up to three.

IC......escape_cat_IC.gif13,14Forward, Aft$879

Located forward or aft of the ship. Some triples and quads are available. Some connect.escape_cat_ID.gif

ID.......10,11,12......Forward, Aft$859

Located forward or aft of the ship. Some triples and quads are available.escape_cat_IF.gif

IF........8,9........Forward, Aft$849

Convenient location, some on the same deck as The Waterfront.

Edited by ray98

We once got a deck 8 gty cabin, Directly over the night club dance floor. :evilsmile:It Thumped Heavy Till the wee hour of the morning.

Deck's 4 & 5 tend to be quiet, low and midship have the smoothest ride on Boat with easy on and off at port's another plus.

We once got a deck 8 gty cabin, Directly over the night club dance floor. :evilsmile:It Thumped Heavy Till the wee hour of the morning.

Deck's 4 & 5 tend to be quiet, plus low and midship have the smoothest ride on Boat.;)

Thank you for the reframe! Regardless, we will be on a cruise and most certainly enjoy ourselves. I was just a bit frustrated (in part with myself) that I am only know fully understanding what GTY means. I doubt we will go this route in the future. You live and learn, but either way I will be enjoyiing a mojito in sun soon enough.:D

Thank you for the reframe! Regardless, we will be on a cruise and most certainly enjoy ourselves. I was just a bit frustrated (in part with myself) that I am only know fully understanding what GTY means. I doubt we will go this route in the future. You live and learn, but either way I will be enjoyiing a mojito in sun soon enough.:D

Which ship are you on?

No need to worry until there is something to worry about :)

We have done GTY before and enjoyed the savings and the excitement of being somewhere on the ship we may not have chosen.

Our family always finds something positive about the room. Most recently we were assigned deck 2!! Omg so LOW I thought!! I hated the idea until our first port day and we were on and off the ship in flash because the gangway was on deck 2. SO nice to come back hot and sweaty and be in your room without the elevator chaos

And I see I. You last post you realized... it’s always a great cabin because it is on a cruise ship

We will be on the Escape. When booking, I specifically asked does this guarantee mean that we will be on the 8th or 9th deck and their response was, "You are guaranteed to be in an inside cabin on the 8th or 9th deck, or potentially higher depending on availability." I realize that I misunderstood their response, but their response was not clear either. My question was explicitly asking about decks, not categories. So to assume that their response was referring to decks, not categories, is not a crazy conclusion. If their response was "or a higher category," I would have inquired further to gain better clarity.

Hello All,

So I booked a gty inside cabin, and the booking indicated that my category (IF) could put us anywhere on 8,9 floor. This was fine for us. We sail in two weeks and my category is currently sold out, so I decided to call NCL to see if they had any idea when my cabin # would be assigned. I was informed that there arent any cabins left in my category and would likely be assigned to a the next category, which would be a family inside room (I1). However, in this category we could be assigned to the 5th floor, which I do NOT want. ?

Depending on the ship, the I1 will be a tiny bit bigger because it is a family inside. The lower beds usually can be combined along with two pullman.

....but the higher category would actually be an ID. Still a FWD cabin but on decks 10-12.

Look at the Escape for example....mid ship and higher is the prime insides which are IA's. IF is worst....lowest cabins which are either FWD/AFT.

Category.....Deck.....Location.....Avg Per Personescape_cat_IA.gif

IA....13,14,15....Mid$899

Located on a high deck. Sleeps up to four.escape_cat_IB.gif

IB........11,12......Mid$889

Convenient mid-ship location. Sleeps up to three.

IC......escape_cat_IC.gif13,14Forward, Aft$879

Located forward or aft of the ship. Some triples and quads are available. Some connect.escape_cat_ID.gif

ID.......10,11,12......Forward, Aft$859

Located forward or aft of the ship. Some triples and quads are available.escape_cat_IF.gif

IF........8,9........Forward, Aft$849

Convenient location, some on the same deck as The Waterfront.

Varies by ship. I had an ID GTY as they wouldn't let me pick a room which is decks 8-12. Got upgraded to IC which are only on 5. Looks like I'm under the theater, hopefully that shouldn't be too bad - we won't be going to bed early.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk