What's so great about the salad bar?

ShelleyQT

I keep hearing about how amazing the salad bar is at Moderno. Is it really so amazing? What's amazing about it?

I'm not usually a salad bar person because salad is such an "everyday" type of thing. When I'm on vacation, there are so many other delicious things to choose, so why would I choose a salad bar?

Hopefully someone here will be able to explain why I should forego some of that naughty delicious food, in favor of a much healthier, (spectacular?) salad bar. :)

I keep hearing about how amazing the salad bar is at Moderno. Is it really so amazing? What's amazing about it?

I'm not usually a salad bar person because salad is such an "everyday" type of thing. When I'm on vacation, there are so many other delicious things to choose, so why would I choose a salad bar?

Hopefully someone here will be able to explain why I should forego some of that naughty delicious food, in favor of a much healthier, (spectacular?) salad bar. :)

It's not. I'm at a loss over what people rave over!!

Salad bars at Brazilian steakhouses are known for being extensive, with lots of salad and side choices. This one is not. For a churrascaria, it's rather small. For people who are maybe only accustomed to seeing a tiny salad bar at their local pizza joint, it might seem huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's fine, but the salad bar in the buffet is pretty good, too.

At Moderno they have stuff like asparagus, portobello mushrooms, palm hearts, yellow beets, fresh mozzarella… These may not be everyday salad bar items, but they're nothing mind-blowing, either. The seafood chowder is also very good, but very rich. Have a taste of a few things, but move on quickly to the meat!

I don't quite know what I was expecting after hearing people rave about it, but I wasn't impressed by the salad bar at all. Some cold meats and veggies and things... I guess the people who rave about it are the ones who aren't really into the meat! I had one or two small bits from the salad bar just for the sake of it, but kept my eyes (and stomach room) on the prize. But, I've seen a fair few people say they go to Moderno just for the salad bar, so maybe I'm just not a salad lover. I'd go to Moderno just for the cheese rolls and pineapple :D

It's not. I'm at a loss over what people rave over!!

Salad bars at Brazilian steakhouses are known for being extensive, with lots of salad and side choices. This one is not. For a churrascaria, it's rather small. For people who are maybe only accustomed to seeing a tiny salad bar at their local pizza joint, it might seem huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

NO idea what the raves are about. None.

The "salad bar at Moderno" was possibly the biggest disappointment of our entire first NCL cruise.

(Fortunately, we were not counting on it for much!)

It was very small to begin with, with a very limited selection of "stuff", most of which was pretty well picked over, and we were not eating late.

After the cruise, we went to a local Brazilian Steak House, and the salad bar?

WOW!!!!!!!!

Now THAT was a salad bar!

We could have made an entire meal of it, and a very nice meal, too.

But we had to struggle to save room for the meats (which were also much better).

The grilled pineapple remains a favorite.

But that salad bar.... HUH!?? :confused:

We've been to 3 different Modernos and as far as the salad bar goes they were all different. Had different items on all three. They even started the selection of meat differently. Two started with the lower cuts of meat and waited till last to serve the fillet mignon, while this last cruise we came off of Sunday served the fillet mignon first. The pineapple is my favorite as well, though I didn't care for how they sliced it on this cruise, because they served the core. They didn't have the nut salad I was looking forward to on this one at the salad bar. And this one, the meat was on the salty side while the others were perfect.

NO idea what the raves are about. None.

The "salad bar at Moderno" was possibly the biggest disappointment of our entire first NCL cruise.

(Fortunately, we were not counting on it for much!)

It was very small to begin with, with a very limited selection of "stuff", most of which was pretty well picked over, and we were not eating late.

After the cruise, we went to a local Brazilian Steak House, and the salad bar?

WOW!!!!!!!!

Now THAT was a salad bar!

We could have made an entire meal of it, and a very nice meal, too.

But we had to struggle to save room for the meats (which were also much better).

The grilled pineapple remains a favorite.

But that salad bar.... HUH!?? :confused:

Feel the same. We've been to really good ones on land (not chains), and I'd pay the money for the salad bar alone.

My observation....previous to my last cruise...I enjoyed the Moderno salad bar very much .my May cruise (when I had UDP and dined at all specialties)...not so much at all ...salad bar menu changed a lot ...and some of my favorite offerings now gone....My opinion now...salad bar is not the "big draw/deal" it once was...for Moderno.

It isn't just ...... salad.

There is one good method you can employ to find out first-hand whether it is to your liking. I will reveal that method in a subsequent post.

Lobster bisque, ceviche, sushi, hearts of palm, marinated artichoke hearts, fancy cheeses, smoked salmon. I forget what else. Salad. I found it fantastic but obviously personal opinion. Hard to say whether you will "like" or be impressed or not. Sounds like it varies a bit per ship, as well.

We've been to 3 different Modernos and as far as the salad bar goes they were all different. Had different items on all three. They even started the selection of meat differently. Two started with the lower cuts of meat and waited till last to serve the fillet mignon, while this last cruise we came off of Sunday served the fillet mignon first. The pineapple is my favorite as well, though I didn't care for how they sliced it on this cruise, because they served the core. They didn't have the nut salad I was looking forward to on this one at the salad bar. And this one, the meat was on the salty side while the others were perfect.

Exactly this. We had Moderno's while doing a tour of the Fjords in Norway on the STAR and it was Excellent. There was a cerviche on the salad bar that was wonderful. Al the items (nowhere near what you find in a land based Charrascurro) were fresh and tasty. Nicely done.

Our next trip to Modernos was on the JEWEL and it was awful. Nothing was fresh, less items on the salad bar (no cerviche) flat meats were glazed over. It was not good at all. And the meats were more gristle and a few pieces of barely cooked enough to serve sausage and chicken. We had quite a few plates of half eaten meats.

Needless to say I could never understand people complaining about Moderno's until we had it on the JEWEL. It was night and day.

-Sean

PS - We do love the salad bar, meats as well but fresh fruits and veggies suit us just fine and if the price was less for salad bar only we would opt for that.

Great and salad bar do not go together.

I've eaten in Moderno only on the Epic and I was unimpressed with the food and the service--fortunately, my dinner companions made up for it! :D I was eager to try the salad bar as I'd read so many raves about it and it was really nothing special IMHO. We have a much better salad bar in the cafe at work! But, as has been pointed out, the grilled pineapple is delicious (and I don't care for cooked fruit, so coming from me that's saying something! :o)

We went to Moderno (too cheap to go to the brazillian steakhouses on land). I really enjoy a good salad bar with a lot of variety and items that you don't see everyday; so I enjoyed it. But I don't get too excited about the meat there. I'll eat meat but I enjoy the full meal experience with side dishes and sauces more than the meat itself. To each there own, for people who like salad bars, I think will like Moderno's. To people who don't care for salad bars won't be blown away.

People go on and on about the steaks they had at Cagney's. I'll have one there because my BF loves steak and we have the SDP. So we will go to both on our next cruise but I fully anticipate enjoying Moderno's salad bar more than Cagney's steak.

I've eaten in Moderno only on the Epic and I was unimpressed with the food and the service--fortunately, my dinner companions made up for it! :D )

We would tend to agree about the Monderno service in mega ships. There are not enough servers to get through the entire dining room in a timely manner. We've eaten at Monderno on the Epic, Breakaway and Escape. And it is consistently poor on all ships. You need to get a table next to the galley door and stop the servers as they exit if you want a good selection of products in a reasonable time.

Service is pretty good on small ships,,,, where the servers will go and get the meat that you want and serve it.