Gala Nights & Tuxedo

josper

For the past 30 years we have been cruising - all with HAL (other than a Baltic cruise with Oceania). For many reasons we have an affinity with HAL, not the least being the superb service provided by the Indonesian and Filipino crew. We miss the Formal nights as we both like to dress up for these occasions. My question. We are travelling on the Koningsdam (Oct 24 to Nov 3rd, 2016). Would a Tuxedo on a Gala Night look completely out of place?. Thanks for your feedback

My DH will continue to wear his - he looks great and enjoys doing it.

Since James Bond can wear a tux to breakfast at a diner and look just right, this is also my rule of thumb.

It is not what you wear: it is how you wear it. If you feel comfortable then it is exactly the right thing to wear. That seems to be the new dress code anyway, which now covers anything goes (almost).

Thanks for posting this question.

I guess the answer will also tell me if I should bring my long gown (not puffy ball gown, but floor lenght simple black evening dress). My other dress is quite dressy but not as long (asymetrical), I think this one will do no matter if long or short is the norm on Gala Nights.

Edited by jp2001

Thanks for posting this question.

I guess the answer will also tell me if I should bring my long gown (not puffy ball gown, but floor lenght simple black evening dress). My other dress is quite dressy but not as long (asymetrical), I think this one will do no matter if long or short is the norm on Gala Nights.

Either sounds lovely. There is such a mix of "gala" clothing that you don't have to worry about being the only one in a long gown or the only one not in a long gown. (I don't recall ever seeing a true ball gown on HAL. I've seen them on Cunard--no idea how anyone would back a ball gown, but it appears to be possible.)

Of course wear your tuxedo, or (for the ladies) long or asymmetrical gowns.

Your pretty clothes like to go out to play, too! :D And it's not as if you can wear them to the grocery store. ;)

My husband also loves to wear his tux. And I wear an evening gown. We love dressing up. We so seldom get the chance and dressing up to an occasion is fun. I even get my hair styled in the salon so our formal pictures will be nice. :)

Edited by fatcat04

On the longer cruises DH always took a Tux & a suit..

He stopped taking his Tux on the shorter cruises several years ago, but took a suit instead.. I will still wear a plain long dress or a long cotton skirt with semi- fancy tops but gave up the sheer skirts & tops a couple of years ago too..

Not sure if DH will take his suit or just a tie & jacket on our next cruise, but I'll stick to the plainer long dresses or skirts for Gala Night..

We enjoy dressing up & rarely get to do it in Fla., except during the holidays..:)

No matter what the ship, my tux will be worn on Gala Night, Evening Chic, or whatever they want to call Formal Night these days. As I've said before, it's the only time I get to wear a tux with paying for a wedding or writing a check to charity.

No matter what the ship, my tux will be worn on Gala Night, Evening Chic, or whatever they want to call Formal Night these days. As I've said before, it's the only time I get to wear a tux with paying for a wedding or writing a check to charity.

Agree totally...

Isn't that the truth! :D

For the past 30 years we have been cruising - all with HAL (other than a Baltic cruise with Oceania). For many reasons we have an affinity with HAL, not the least being the superb service provided by the Indonesian and Filipino crew. We miss the Formal nights as we both like to dress up for these occasions. My question. We are travelling on the Koningsdam (Oct 24 to Nov 3rd, 2016). Would a Tuxedo on a Gala Night look completely out of place?. Thanks for your feedback

My husband will be wearing a tux with you this fall on the Koningsdam. On the 3rd we will only be midway across the Atlantic, so if you disembark then you may miss a couple Gala nights;)

So glad there are others who like to let their pretty things out to play! One reason we only did one trial sailing each on Amazara or Oceania was that we missed the chance to dress up. For us, it's a highlight of our cruise and we will continue to dress up as long as there is something like gala nights. Men in tuxedos just look so great and I can't resist long gowns, opera gloves and all things that sparkle.

We've only been on one cruise in the Med this summer, but I loved how a good majority of the men and women dressed up - dark suits, tuxes and gowns for our gala nights. The wives were gaga over their spiffy husbands. Wear what you want, but really wear what your significant other loves to see you in! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why not? I would not be overly concerned about what others may or may not be wearing. Enjoy your cruise in the style of your choice.....not someone else's

The enjoyment of your cruise should far outweigh the desire for conformity that so many people strive to achieve these days.

Edited by iancal