Formal nights on Reflection??

Krydstosser

Hi guys

We are newbies on Celebrity.... and on a 14 day cruise in December, how many formal nights are there?

Sincerely

Soren

None. Zero. Zip. Seems like this has been asked every other day. It has been a couple of years now that Celebrity replaced formal nights with Evening Chic. This info is on the Celebrity web site.

No truly formal nights like on Cunard. Three dress up nights. Some men wear tuxedos and some wear suits. BUt neither is required

I wear a button down shirt and long pants. That is pretty usual. Supposed to be two Evening Chic nites although some have reported three on some ships on longer sailings. Since I wear a button down shirt and long pants every evening the number does not matter to me. Jeans are allowed although I usually wear Chino type pants.

None. Zero. Zip. Seems like this has been asked every other day. It has been a couple of years now that Celebrity replaced formal nights with Evening Chic. This info is on the Celebrity web site.

If they read the Celebrity web site they’ll get partial bad info since it says there shall only be two evening chic nights. Most Ships are doing three on longer cruises now which is against Celebrity policy.

I believe the Captain has option of 2 or 3 Chic nights according to other cruisers comments. Also which days based on port times and sea days. Just what has been reported but can’t confirm.

My hubby wore tux on 14 day Caribbean cruise and I wore cocktail sequined dresses. Just our preference. Sometimes he wears ivory jacket with short sleeved camp shirt (Cuban style)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Onboard Dress Code

Q. What is the onboard dress code?

A. Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a long sleeve sport shirt.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

I believe the Captain has option of 2 or 3 Chic nights according to other cruisers comments. Also which days based on port times and sea days. Just what has been reported but can’t confirm.

My hubby wore tux on 14 day Caribbean cruise and I wore cocktail sequined dresses. Just our preference. Sometimes he wears ivory jacket with short sleeved camp shirt (Cuban style)

Captain has option but they should not be setting a situation where you need more clothes than what you packed based upon your reading of Celebrity’s rules prior to the cruise.

Hi guys

We are newbies on Celebrity.... and on a 14 day cruise in December, how many formal nights are there?

Sincerely

Soren

They're now called "Chic" nights. Should be 3 on a 14 day trip. At least it was for us in 2017. On the Eclipse I was really surprised how many pax really went all out. Especially the 3'rd Chic night. A lot of tuxes & suits. It's optional to dress up that much. We switched to Oceania, as the food on the Eclipse declined dramatically for the cruise before it. Oceania had some of the best food we just about ever seen on a ship.

Dress was the Country Club casual. No tuxes, but no jeans at night, either. Some sport coats in the Grand dining room. Surprisingly most wore sport coats In the specialty rest. Only a few had ties.

What proportion of people still wear Tuxes on an evening chic night?

I don’t want to go over the debate but we really enjoyed the formal nights on a Cunard winter transatlantic. But we were not mad about them on an August med cruise.

I don’t want to go over the debate but we really enjoyed the formal nights on a Cunard winter transatlantic. But we were not mad about them on an August med cruise.

Probably less than 10%, some cruises may be more, some less depending on itinerary.

I'm basing my opinion on our Jan.2017 14 day trip on Eclipse. The longer voyages seem to have a crowd that likes to dress more traditionally. There were 3 "Chic" nights. By the 3'rd night I'd estimate close to 70% had on Tuxes. About another 20% had suits(us incl.)The last 10% were a mix of smart casual & a few really trashy looking pax(you get that same small amount of trashy looking pax on any cruise)Not sure how it is today. We switched to Oceania, which, though they advertise Country Club casual, were overall really decently dressed: Only 1 tux(the first night)then a good mix of sport coats & a few ties & a decent mix of khaki & dress shirts. Only one pax wore jeans.

I'm basing my opinion on our Jan.2017 14 day trip on Eclipse. The longer voyages seem to have a crowd that likes to dress more traditionally. There were 3 "Chic" nights. By the 3'rd night I'd estimate close to 70% had on Tuxes. About another 20% had suits(us incl.)The last 10% were a mix of smart casual & a few really trashy looking pax(you get that same small amount of trashy looking pax on any cruise)Not sure how it is today. We switched to Oceania, which, though they advertise Country Club casual, were overall really decently dressed: Only 1 tux(the first night)then a good mix of sport coats & a few ties & a decent mix of khaki & dress shirts. Only one pax wore jeans.

Recently on the Silhouette I would say it was reversed. 10% tuxes, 20-30% suits or sport coats, the rest slacks and shirts, many just jeans. I did not see anyone inappropriately dressed.

Recently on the Silhouette I would say it was reversed. 10% tuxes, 20-30% suits or sport coats, the rest slacks and shirts, many just jeans. I did not see anyone inappropriately dressed.

Keithm has a vivid imagination. I have been on a bunch of Celebrity cruises since Evening Chic was put into effect including longer cruises and what you report is the norm. No way I would believe 70% were wearing tuxes. That didn't happen before Evening Chic!

Keithm has a vivid imagination. I have been on a bunch of Celebrity cruises since Evening Chic was put into effect including longer cruises and what you report is the norm. No way I would believe 70% were wearing tuxes. That didn't happen before Evening Chic!

Agree with Charles, even when Celebrity had the formal dress code and dress code was strictly enforced, I was never on a cruise where 70% of the men were in tuxes. Place this in the category of wishful thinking, just check previous posts.

Eclipse from Southampton last year evening chic nights were very dressy....lots of long dresses and men in suits.

Reflection in the Caribbean March this year much more casual. Most men in smart trousers and open necked shirts, most women in nice sun dresses or smart top and pants....Saw only one or two tux and only a couple of long evening dresses. As someone who likes to blend in rather than stand out my new ‘dressy dress’ didn’t get worn.

Please note, I am not complaining this cruise was less dressy.... it was very relaxing and the dress code was followed.

Probably less than 10%, some cruises may be more, some less depending on itinerary.

I'm with the 10%, but I'm expecting the percentage to be higher for our Med' Reflection cruise this July as there will a wide mix of nationalities.

But whatever the percentage I'll be wearing my tux on chic nights to compliment my wife's very chic attire and we really don't care what others wear.

So tell me, Chuck, were you on the Eclipse for the Jan.22,2017 14 day cruise? The 14 day cruises always get a higher percentage of pax who dress up more. Longer cruises usually do. If you're on 7-10 day cruises, pax dress more low key. By the 3'rd Chic night, I still stand by my guess of close to 70% tux/formal suit.

Edited by keithm
spelling

Agree with Charles, even when Celebrity had the formal dress code and dress code was strictly enforced, I was never on a cruise where 70% of the men were in tuxes. Place this in the category of wishful thinking, just check previous posts.

As with the other poster..were you there?? Probably not. Yes, I do like formal dress. I make no mistake on it. Out of the three 14 day cruises we've done on the Eclipse, the Jan. 2017 trip had the most formal crowd I've seen on Celebrity. It built up to the 3'rd Chic night. It was like being on Cunard. What was 2018 like? No idea. We've switched to Oceania, As Celebrity food declined too much for us. The dress code was as advertised: Only one tux was seen for one night. Everyone else had dress shirts/slacks, a fair amount of open collar with sport coats & a few with ties. Jeans were not allowed in the dining venues & only one person wore jeans at night.