dress code on formal night on Carribian Princess

papa41

I am a bit confused regarding formal nights on Princess. My travel agent indicates formal nights are not more casual and men can wear button down dress shirt and dress pants. Jacket an tie not necessary. Yet Princess site still requires jacket and tie. Has anyone been on Carribian Princess and answer this question. Thank you

Formal nights have significantly dressed down in recent years so not all gentlemen wears coats and ties. Dress varies somewhat by cruise locale as European destinations tend to be a little more formal in my experience.

It all depends on the Maitre d’ whether the dress is enforced or not. It’s not consistent. It also depends on where you’re sailing and the length of the cruise.

I tend to take longer cruises and it’s rare that gentlemen don’t wear at least a jacket. It’ll be interesting to see what gentlemen wear on my upcoming 12-day cruise to/from Alaska. I suspect it’ll be dressier than a 7-day Alaskan cruise.

I am a bit confused regarding formal nights on Princess. My travel agent indicates formal nights are not more casual and men can wear button down dress shirt and dress pants. Jacket an tie not necessary. Yet Princess site still requires jacket and tie. Has anyone been on Carribian Princess and answer this question. Thank you

Yes, this is correct. However, you will find 90%+ of the men do have jackets and tie in the DR's. The specialty restaurants are smart casual every night.

Yes, this is correct. However, you will find 90%+ of the men do have jackets and tie in the DR's. The specialty restaurants are smart casual every night.

90% -!!! did you mean 9% ??? maybe 49% even on formal night

YMMV

YMMV

Not on the cruises I’ve been on. Most people dress up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got off the CB on 4/11. Most people were not in formal attire. Women wore dresses, pants with a nice top. Men had on a collared shirt, some wore a tie with or without a jacket. Some men wore just the jacket, no tie. As long as you look presentable, that's what matters.

Not on the cruises I’ve been on. Most people dress up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's true that the majority do dress up (at least on the first formal night) until they see what is actually allowed as a minimum. The second night is always less dressy.

The Princess web site does state the minimum acceptable dress on formal nights as "at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks for the men".

But don't let that stop you from dressing up if you wish. You won't be alone.

YMMV

Our last two cruises were a 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific on Emerald Princess and a 14 day Circle Caribbean on Caribbean Princess. I would put the "dressed up" group close to 90% or even a bit higher. Despite your constant assertions to the contrary (don't you ever get tired of the same old BS or do you only take very short cruises?) we have found that the majority of people do dress for formal night. The last cruise the CD made a point of telling everybody at the production shows that "tomorrow is a formal night - that means you dress up". On the 28 day cruise there were people turned away from the dining room for inappropriate dress and it wasn't even a formal night.

Edited by Thrak

Our last two cruises were a 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific on Emerald Princess and a 14 day Circle Caribbean on Caribbean Princess. I would put the "dressed up" group close to 90% or even a bit higher. Despite your constant assertions to the contrary (don't you ever get tired of the same old BS or do you only take very short cruises?) we have found that the majority of people do dress for formal night. The last cruise the CD made a point of telling everybody at the production shows that "tomorrow is a formal night - that means you dress up". On the 28 day cruise there were people turned away from the dining room for inappropriate dress and it wasn't even a formal night.

On a 28 day cruise, I would certainly expect almost everyone to dress somewhat formally, as the average age on such a cruise will skew into the 70+ range on average.

My wife and I will be embarking next week on a 10 day Caribbean cruise and she'll be wearing a cocktail dress and I will be wearing slacks, shirt and tie for each formal.

In fact, she will wear a dress every evening and I'll be in slacks and a collared shirt every night except the first at last, when jeans are considered appropriate.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!:)

We have been on two longer Caribbean Princess cruises.

The information from your travel agent is absolutely correct. (y)

No jacket and tie needed.

Enjoy :D:D

On a 28 day cruise, I would certainly expect almost everyone to dress somewhat formally, as the average age on such a cruise will skew into the 70+ range on average.

My wife and I will be embarking next week on a 10 day Caribbean cruise and she'll be wearing a cocktail dress and I will be wearing slacks, shirt and tie for each formal.

In fact, she will wear a dress every evening and I'll be in slacks and a collared shirt every night except the first at last, when jeans are considered appropriate.

Jeans are considered appropriate, according to Princess, every night except in the MDR on Formal nights.

No, it doesn't change. Princess will tell you their stated policy. Whether or not it gets enforced is a different matter. On RCCL, I'd say it's less than 25% of passengers who dress for formal nights. On Princess, well over 75%. Maybe it depends upon the itinerary - on our last Alaskan cruise, just about everyone dressed up.

Go to Hooktube (or YouTube) and search Princess Formal Night. It will give you a good idea.

I’m kind of new here, but there seems to be a dress code topic created daily. Is it always changing?

The older dress code threads usually get so diluted in arguments that they're either worth nothing or have been removed.

Hence the need to start new ones every now and then.

The only important thing to remember is that Princess offers formal nights for those that like them if you wish to participate in dressing up. It's a big money maker for photo's, wine during dinner & after dinner drinks.

If not, you can still dress casually (within reason) & eat in the DR.

It's the only place on the ship that you see any sort of implied restrictions.

Those of us who are inclined to be stylish, refined, sophisticated, dignified, cultivated, distinguished, classic, smart, fashionable,modish,decorous,beautiful, artistic, aesthetic, lovely. add-infinitum, just go along with the Princess dress code. So easy to conform, isn't it. Hold fire now for the flack.

A lot depends on the Maître D. Some are more strict than others. There is a dress code but it's enforced sporadically. I suggest going to "Youtube" & typing in "Princess formal nights". Also type in casual nights & judge for yourself.

Those of us who are inclined to be stylish, refined, sophisticated, dignified, cultivated, distinguished, classic, smart, fashionable,modish,decorous,beautiful, artistic, aesthetic, lovely. add-infinitum, just go along with the Princess dress code. So easy to conform, isn't it. Hold fire now for the flack.

Now say it real fast! Good description, Ron.

No, it doesn't change. Princess will tell you their stated policy. Whether or not it gets enforced is a different matter. On RCCL, I'd say it's less than 25% of passengers who dress for formal nights. On Princess, well over 75%. Maybe it depends upon the itinerary - on our last Alaskan cruise, just about everyone dressed up.

Go to Hooktube (or YouTube) and search Princess Formal Night. It will give you a good idea.

That's what I've been saying as well. Tends to shoot down the down dress crowd(though not all the time)