GUAR room assignement freaking out!!!

SoFLcruiser5225

We have cruised 4 times so far and I always book a guaranteed balcony and never had an issue, yes in the past on NCL we had a "partially obstructed" view of our balcony but that was only when you looked directly down you would see a lifeboat, our panoramic views were great!

But we booked our cruise on HAL on the Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska cruise and just received our room assignment as room "4053" which is a partially obstructed view, from pictures it looks like a life boat is DIRECTLY in front of our balcony! I called HAL and they directed me to write an email to the inventory of the company and i have not heard back.

Wondering if theres any advice or anyone that has had a VH balcony room on the Nieuw Amsterdam who could give me some hope that our balcony isn't completely blocked by a life boat!!!!

anything helps!

Oft repeated rule when one books a guaranty they agree upfront to accept what they paid for - the lowest cabin in that class. Anything else is a free bonus. No reason to freak out - you are simply getting what you agreed to pay for. Nothing more and nothing less. It breaks that way sometimes, and it is not over until it is over. Things can still change between now and embarkation.

Might want to ask for an upsell and see what you get. The Neiuw Amsterdam is such a lovely ship there will still be lots to enjoy anyway - lots of wonderful and hideaway viewing spaces. We no longer do guarantees after a few clinkers ourselves and we are five star -- so this can happen to anyone. But in the beginning we knew if we signed up for HH -obstructed metal balcony cabins, we knew up front we might actually get one. And once, only once, we actually got a Neptune suite at embarkation, while our luggage was getting sent to the verandah cabin we thought we were getting.

Cabin 4053 is a cat. VA with a very large balcony. You will have only a partially obstructed view to your right...where the lifeboats start. Looking out, no obstruction at all. This would be considered an excellent upgrade. Please take a look at the deck plan to see for yourself.

Looking at the deck plan, it looks like your balcony starts right after the most forward lifeboat. It looks like you'll be able to see straight out but the boat would block your view to the right. Of course, there may be a wall on the right side of your balcony which would prevent you from seeing the boat.

Take a look at halfacts dot com. Select Signature and you will see 4054 on the Eurodam (sister ship).

Lots of pics of the balconies and it looks very nice to me.

Deck plans are identical for this deck for both ships so 4054 (which is across the hall from you) is a good representation.

I think you will be fine. :)

Cabin 4053 is a cat. VA with a very large balcony. You will have only a partially obstructed view to your right...where the lifeboats start. Looking out, no obstruction at all. This would be considered an excellent upgrade. Please take a look at the deck plan to see for yourself.

I agree fully. I'd be very happy with this as a cabin, let alone a guarantee!

Are you sure you have the number right? IMO VA4053 is a great unobstructed cabin upgrade if you booked a VH! The cabins with lifeboats directly in front are G, H, or HH, and you could not have been assigned one of those from a VH gty. Hope your email doesn't mess up the assignment.

Only your view to the right will be blocked. You can still look straight out and to the left. Just put your chairs where the lifeboat is and you will have a nice view.
Actually the view to the right is much less blocked than other side balconies. 4053 has a plexiglas railing instead of a solid partition to the side.

We have cruised 4 times so far and I always book a guaranteed balcony and never had an issue, yes in the past on NCL we had a "partially obstructed" view of our balcony but that was only when you looked directly down you would see a lifeboat, our panoramic views were great!

But we booked our cruise on HAL on the Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska cruise and just received our room assignment as room "4053" which is a partially obstructed view, from pictures it looks like a life boat is DIRECTLY in front of our balcony! I called HAL and they directed me to write an email to the inventory of the company and i have not heard back.

Wondering if theres any advice or anyone that has had a VH balcony room on the Nieuw Amsterdam who could give me some hope that our balcony isn't completely blocked by a life boat!!!!

anything helps!

It sure looks like you will only be blocked to one side, not looking straight out. It also appears that you have a very large balcony (for a V category).

Since you booked a VH guarantee, you should be aware that this category (VA) cabin could be assigned to you. That is generally the reason for the lower guarantee fare you get - it gives HAL the ability to fit you in wherever they can.

.... unless the OP was looking at the deck plan of the Nieuw Statendam instead of the Nieuw Amsterdam by mistake, as 4053 on the NS is indeed a category VH and is partially obstructed.
I think you just hit the nail on the head!! I hope their email didn't get them switched to something poorer.:D

.... unless the OP was looking at the deck plan of the Nieuw Statendam instead of the Nieuw Amsterdam by mistake, as 4053 on the NS is indeed a category VH and is partially obstructed.
Oh my, you could be right! I wish the OP would come back before changing the cabin assignment.

Oh my, you could be right! I wish the OP would come back before changing the cabin assignment.
I wonder why OP hasn't been back? Realized the error or got themselves switched to a lesser cabin and is embarrassed to admit it?

She might get moved from the nice VA back to a blocked VH after her email. Ouch.
The only really blocked VH are on the Pinnacle class. On the Signature ships they have a metal railing but no life boats in front. BTW OP didn't say s/he booked a VH, just that s/he thinks 4053 is one. That, to me, confirms that s/he was looking at the Nieuw Statendam plans. Edited by catl331

That, to me, confirms that s/he was looking at the Nieuw Statendam plans.
But now I wonder what pictures s/he was looking at that show a lifeboat "DIRECTLY in front of our balcony!". Were they Koningsdam pics?

anything helps!

You have hit the jackpot with that cabin. I had that cabin on one of my cruises and it is great because the balcony is so big. It had two lounge chairs and two captain chairs and a small table. It is perfect for sitting out on because you are actually blocked from the wind as the ship moves and there are Plexiglas railings instead of the solid ones that you can't see through. It actually sticks out past the lifeboats. I loved that cabin. Enjoy your cruise. :)