Latitudes: How did i turn to GOLD?

shof515

Yesterday, i got back home from my cruise on the Breakaway. Today i logged into my myNCL account to make sure i still got the double points for booking 9+ months in advance (under the old latitude program). I expected and calculated to be 1 point being promoted from Silver to Gold. I was not expecting to see this:

Untitled.png

Capture.png

I have 54 points which is correct. I should be Silver with 1 point away from Gold. My cruise history shows all of the cruises with the correct point values. The Latitudes GOLD starts at 55 points and above. How do i get promoted to GOLD by being a point short? Is this a glitch in the matrix, a problem with the old/new latitudes programs and bonus points? The perks/bonus between the levels is meaningless to me so i don't really care about the differences between the levels. Just thought this was so odd.

So, under the old program, if you booked more than 9 months in advance then you get double points?

When was the switch to the new Latitudes program?

early February like around February 3 i think. Any cruises booked before that date should be grandfather in for the double points for booking 9 months in advance.

We booked our December Panama Canal cruise in January before the Latitudes change and according to NCL we will get double points (28 total) for booking more than 9 months in advance. I’m counting on it because that will get us close to Platinum level. When we take our 4 night cruise to Cozumel in January that will make us Platinum and we should enjoy those benefits when we take our British Isles cruise in September.

I'm hoping this is true. We are currently Silver (44 points) we are cruising for 10 nights from 23rd November, the cruise was booked last November and was an insider deal too, so we are expecting 30 points. Under the new rules that would still make us Gold BUT under the old system that would make us Platinum. The only other slight worry was that when we initially booked we had 28 points which was Silver but is now Bronze, we cruised in May and got the double points for Insider + nights, but no extra points because although booked at the same time as this coming cruise, it was only seven months out.

Just have to wait and see but it would be nice to be Platinum before we go on the Bliss rather than when we get off.

We booked a suite AFTER all the changes. We weren't in "cruise mode" so I wasn't following Cruise Critic for a year or so and didn't realize the rules were changing. I knew the booking would put us at 77 points, a few shy of Platinum. But those were the new rules and nothing I could do about it so we took the cruise and enjoyed.

When we got back from the cruise last month, I logged on to NCL and saw our points at 77, but status read PLATINUM. I have no idea why NCL bumped us but happy they did. The only thing I can think of is I used an old CRUISE NEXT certificate on the booking that may have affected it somehow. Who knows. Very happy we made it though.

~Denise

I'm hoping this is true. We are currently Silver (44 points) we are cruising for 10 nights from 23rd November, the cruise was booked last November and was an insider deal too, so we are expecting 30 points. Under the new rules that would still make us Gold BUT under the old system that would make us Platinum. The only other slight worry was that when we initially booked we had 28 points which was Silver but is now Bronze, we cruised in May and got the double points for Insider + nights, but no extra points because although booked at the same time as this coming cruise, it was only seven months out.

Just have to wait and see but it would be nice to be Platinum before we go on the Bliss rather than when we get off.

You seem to have missed the point. The grandfathering of which people speak was a one time exception which was done at the time the new rules were instituted. You will still receive the extra point for booking early, but they are not going to look back at the old levels after your November 23 cruise. You will end up with a 74 point balance, which is gold under the new rules.

Under the old tier levels, platinum started at 76 points, so you would not make it even if they did look back.

You seem to have missed the point. The grandfathering of which people speak was a one time exception which was done at the time the new rules were instituted. You will still receive the extra point for booking early, but they are not going to look back at the old levels after your November 23 cruise.
Except that's exactly what they did in the OP's case (NCL is looking back at the old levels to give them Gold already at 54 points). But you're right, BaWBarmy was mistaken about 74 points being enough for Platinum according to the old levels.

I "cheated" once without knowing. We sailed we almost all lines and most of them have Gold as a starting point, so when we were boarding our second NCL cruise we were asked which level we have. I was absolutely sure we were Gold.

And this is what I said.

We were assigned to priority embarkation lounge. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to this. We are back off the Spirit, my daughter had 21 points and was Silver before the shake up, so she was grandfathered. We then booked the cruise we have just been on, but a year out, we all received 30 points, this would have meant my daughter was still Silver on 51 points and already having been grandfathered. On checking her account she is now Gold. From what I can work out you are given the level you would have been with those points at the time of booking and not when the cruise is over.

From what I can work out you are given the level you would have been with those points at the time of booking and not when the cruise is over.

Yes, that’s exactly what is happening.

Interestingly, as this is something that NCL is doing which benefits customers nobody seems to know about it. If it was the other way we would have a dozen threads a day grumbling about it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...