Ladies do you wear your formal wear for more than 1 cruise?

mcchane1

Well... after reading all the comments, I think I'm more confused than before! ;-) My DH and I are taking our first cruise in April to celebrate our 30th anniversary (8 day Caribbean on FOTS) and we were wondering about "formal" nights. It doesn't sound like formal is so formal anymore. I originally told my hubby he'd have to rent a tux and I needed a sequined floor length gown. I take it we'd be the odd ones out in such attire? It sounds like even a nice suit and a sparkly/sequined cocktail dress would be in the minority?

Many people still dress formally, you will be fine whatever you decide to wear.

I have a couple I got from the David’s Bridal shop on eBay heavily discounted. Sure, they have bridesmaid and mother dresses but no one needs to know - they are just very dressy gowns, I love dressing up on cruises since I never get to dress up that much at home. Maybe a New Years Eve party but not much else.

Well... after reading all the comments, I think I'm more confused than before! ;-) My DH and I are taking our first cruise in April to celebrate our 30th anniversary (8 day Caribbean on FOTS) and we were wondering about "formal" nights. It doesn't sound like formal is so formal anymore. I originally told my hubby he'd have to rent a tux and I needed a sequined floor length gown. I take it we'd be the odd ones out in such attire? It sounds like even a nice suit and a sparkly/sequined cocktail dress would be in the minority?

You will be fine in whatever you chose. There are people dressed from one end of the spectrum to the other. We have always been in the middle but I am considering going to the dressier end. Also, I’m plus sized so long gown or maxi dresses do me better than cocktail dresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many people still dress formally, you will be fine whatever you decide to wear.

Ditto that comment. Do what pleases you ( just no shorts and flip flops in the MDR! - and you might even get a disagreement on that. LOL!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first reaction was ,’Oh, for crying out loud!!’. If it fits and it’s pretty and the season is appropriate, of course I rewear. Changing accessories can make it a different outfit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My first reaction was ,’Oh, for crying out loud!!’. If it fits and it’s pretty and the season is appropriate, of course I rewear. Changing accessories can make it a different outfit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is what my wife does.

Makes sense to me.

After the holidays is the perfect time to go. Also after prom season. Just saw some at Nordstrom Rack for CHEAP! Glittery, pearls, anything you could ask! Also check out consignment shops! I buy one like this every so often to feel “special”. Although sometimes I wear just one twice in the same cruise to save space. Plus we dine at different restaurants on the 2 formal nights. Besides no one cares! Do it for YOU!

Yes, what she said! Consignment stores! I got a $350 gown new with tags for $52. Also check Kohls.com -- they aren't as intricate but I have been able to get several gowns for clearance prices online that they don't carry in the store & they have some classic styles that you can wear for years. Black Friday is always a good day to shop -- if you're planning ahead for future trips or events. And do look online for your dress that you love that is $200 to see if it's on sale for less somewhere else. I once eyeballed a dress I didn't want to splurge on, and then got it at half off from an actual department store that doesn't exist where I live because it was almost sold out & on clearance IN MY SIZE ONLY, but I wouldn't have known unless I'd looked for it specifically online.

Travel tip: aim for a lighter weight gown, especially if you are going somewhere tropical. It is one thing to wear a heavy, beaded/sequined gown to a winter charity gala, and another thing to be weighed down by your gown in warm weather.

I try to wear what makes me feel pretty without causing me to tug at it or feel self conscious, and, except at home where I rotate for events & years, I have no qualms about wearing the same dress on multiple trips.

If you have a brand that you know fits you---set up an automatic search on eBay and you will be notified as new listings pop up. I hate shopping and don't have time to search consignment shops so I do eBay.

I do this for high-end (Barney's, Saks) brands and get things that are either new with tags or pre-worn but in perfect condition. I love getting a $300 blouse for $20.

I have three formal Long dresses and “cruise clothes”. They pretty much stay packed all the time..just in case. Turned out to be the smartest thing ever because they always stayed on the highest shelf in my closet. We took on five feet of water in Hurricane Harvey. I have no day to day clothes but I’m ready for cruising! Just had to buy new shoes :-)

I wear the same formal dress on every cruise in the last three years. It still looks amazing and I love the way I look wearing it, so for me, there is no reason why I should stop wearing it. If you feel comfortable, it is totally fine to wear it multiple times. This is my opinion.

What kind of dress do you want to wear? I always stick to long dresses for weddings, opera etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 'cruise' wardrobe of dressy clothes that are basically only worn on cruises, including a couple of evening gowns.

In my normal life I have absolutely no reason to wear a gown or even a cocktail dress. I definitely wear these dresses more than once. I noticed recently that a certain blue cocktail dress was in the picture they take in the dining room for several years in a row! Maybe time for a new one.

I've bought most of my dressy clothes at great prices and wear them many times.

Recently I have opted more for black pants or skirt and dressy tops and left most of the dresses home--just easier. I do love wearing an actual long gown sometimes though!

We have always dressed up for formal night but never actually in “formal wear”. I was thinking about getting a long formal dress but not sure I can justify $200 to only wear once. I would have no reason to wear a gown on land :). I’m thinking if I wore it for a couple cruises maybe. What is everyone else’s experience?

I used to wear long formal dresses and would wear them on different cruises. Now I wear cocktail dresses or a simple black dress. What I like about the black dress is that it is something I can wear again for many occasions. It can be dressed up or down. The one I just bought was on sale at Chico's for $23!

I absolutely recycle my formal outfits over many cruises.

I don't like to wear dresses, so my fancy clothes are dressy pant outfits. I have a "wardrobe" of evening jackets in chiffon and crepe. I also have a pair of black crepe "tuxedo" pants that are very dressy, an aqua 3-piece crepe "mother-of-the-bride" pants outfit, and another one in dark navy blue with a sheer chiffon knee length jacket/coat.

I mix and match the jackets with the pants/tops to make new formal night outfits.

I buy all my clothes on eBay and alter them; it's a hobby, and I get beautiful clothes for $25 or less.

My husband was definitely in the minority last year on our first cruise, he was in full kilt regalia on Anthem. He did love the attention he got though. I had a full length dress and will be wearing it again on Symphony in April. X

We still see lots of tuxes, suits, and very dressy clothes on all our cruises. However, we tend to go on longer cruises, if that makes any difference.

Our next trip is a b2b2b, with the first one on NCL. I went on the Spirit last April to the Med, and there were few formal clothes on board. So, for our upcoming cruises I'm packing a separate large packing cube with clothes for just that 7 nights, non-formal, and then we'll unpack the fancy clothes for HAL and RCCL.

My husband was definitely in the minority last year on our first cruise, he was in full kilt regalia on Anthem. He did love the attention he got though. I had a full length dress and will be wearing it again on Symphony in April. X

I've seen guys in full dress kilts several times; love the look..I especially remember one quite young couple (I'd guess newlyweds), he es the kilt, she in the most gorgeous bronze satin huge ballgown I have ever seen. They were having so much fun and looked so great.

Recently looking back at some cruise photos, we're talking years ago here, there I am in the same 2 or 3 dresses! :) If I was into long dresses like I was then, I would definitely wear it more than once.

Now I keep it simple and don't dress up as much as did. I'm older, one suitcase, taking long cruises and slacks + fancy tops has to do. Years ago I traveled with a regular bag plus a rolling garment bag for formal wear, and back then I even took shorter cruises. I had purses, shoes to match every dress, wore dresses every night. I travel alone now, don't do the formal picture routine so this is the way it is.

I’ve worn the same formal dress more than once on a single cruise, let alone on another cruise. I believe it’s irresponsibly extravagant to ditch an item of clothing after one wear without there being sonething wrong with it!:o

I have the same “cruise clothes” that I take on every cruise. This makes packing decisions so much easier”:) Once in a while I may get a new top, a new bathing suit, or new pair of shorts....I do not enjoy shopping and my DH loves it that I am a low-maintenance wife!

Happy cruising!!

I have about a dozen formal outfits that I can take on a cruse. We cruise 6-8 times each year and I just rotate them. I wear them till they are damaged, woefully out of style or don't fit properly any more. Sometime I'll take just one on a cruise and wear it for all formal nights. Might change our accessories, might not.

We do have occasion to wear formal attire at home so I get lots of wear from the outfits.

enjoy

M

I have 4 formal long black dresses (different styles & material) that I've had for YEARS and worn on multiple cruises. I'm not sure why you wouldn't? If you love them, wouldn't you want to wear again? Also recently purchased 3 dressy cocktail-type dresses that I plan on wearing more than one cruise and also have more possibility wearing these home, maybe attending a wedding, or fancy restaurant etc. Not sure I'll ever have occasion to wear the long black dresses except on a cruise, but that's okay. I purchased them at a "midnight madness" sale at McAlpins years ago, and they were around $20 each.

Now, the 2 "fascinators" I purchased, not sure I'll ever wear them! They were both so pretty, I got them without really thinking where on earth I'd ever wear them. I should bring them on our next cruise, this October.

Edited by Janie1229