Cancellation charges

Harry Peterson

As I understand the P&O T&C, if I cancel a Select booking 92 or more days before the departure I just lose the deposit:

"CANCELLATION BY THE GUEST

38. The Guest may cancel the Contract at any time prior to the commencement of the Package via

their travel agent or, for Guests who have booked direct, by calling our Reservations Department,

but in that event P&O Cruises shall be entitled to levy a cancellation charge as a percentage of the

price paid in accordance with the following scales.

P&O Cruises Select Price and Early Saver:

Period before departure within which written notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises

Cancellation charges

(percentage of price)

From the date of booking until 91 days before departure - Deposit"

Is that right? My travel insurance policy has just been cancelled and I need a bit of time to replace it.

Hi d,

I think that P&O would be the best people to ask.

Ira

Fair point. In fact I'd have emailed them if it were possible to find an email address on their website, and the answer to the question isn't there either - hence the reference to the T&C, which are also buried away. And as for phoning them, it's a nightmare, and you can't rely on anything they tell you unless it's in writing to go back to them with.

Just wondered if anyone had had personal experience of cancelling during the period that only the deposit had been paid.

I cancelled last month for a cruise next October 2018. I lost deposit plus £100 which P&O charged on top. I thought just the deposit would be lost, but was charged on top. Please could you put on the answer, when you receive it. Would love to know what they say. I booked with a TA, and this was also on the invoice sent to me.

Carol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I cancelled last month for a cruise next October 2018. I lost deposit plus £100 which P&O charged on top. I thought just the deposit would be lost, but was charged on top. Please could you put on the answer, when you receive it. Would love to know what they say. I booked with a TA, and this was also on the invoice sent to me.

Carol

Sounds odd to me. It seems quite clear that if you cancel more than 90days in advance, you lose the deposit. No mention of any further amount. I am wondering if this £100 was added by your travel agent to compensate them for their work. I would refuse to pay and ask them to justify and explain this charge. However, if it is a charge from the agent, it will probably be in their small print, so all you can do is never use them again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carol

Did your cruise include flights because it states in P&O T&Cs that as well as losing deposit if the cancellation is more than 61 days they charge £20pp.

On the invoice, it’s states that P&O charged the extra fee.

Did you have a future cruise deposit linked to your booking? We cancelled a cruise in the Autumn just before final payment was due. We lost our deposit but that was £100 short of what we should have paid if there had been no fcd. I'm sure we had to pay that as the fcd was no longer applied to a cruise we'd cancelled. I haven't any paperwork now and am a bit hazy about the details but it might have something to do with your unexplained £100.

What happens if you cancel more than 90 days prior to sailing and have paid in full?

On one occasion when we had to cancel, they allowed us to transfer what we had paid to another cruise of higher value but charged a £100 arrangement fee. Seemed fair and I accepted the offer gratefully. Perhaps this would be an alternative for OP once insurance problem is sorted out

Carol

I cancelled 5 days before final payment and lost the deposit. I definitely didn’t pay anything more.

P&O have the habit of reducing their cruise prices, when I cancelled my final payment was more than the quoted price for the same cabin.

No, definitely P&O charged the extra money. I went back and checked invoice. Also, I booked a different cruise straight away but cheaper than the one I cancelled.

If that were the case then why did you lose the deposit? The £100 charge is what P&O charge for transferring an existing booking to a new one, although they normally insist that the new booking is of equal or greater value than the original.

If that were the case then why did you lose the deposit? The £100 charge is what P&O charge for transferring an existing booking to a new one, although they normally insist that the new booking is of equal or greater value than the original.

Presumably the deposit was lost because the replacement cruise was less expensive, maybe considerably less. The £100 fee was the cancellation charge.

• 1 year later...

Just cancelled a P and O cruise 13 months after paying the deposit of £500 and 193 days before sailing.  My husband has just had to have open heart surgery, so sailing around the North Atlantic for 21 days this summer is a no go.

P and O offered me a chance to book another cruise using the deposit or lose my deposit.  As hubby is not fit to sail for who knows how long, I opted to lose the deposit £500.  Have just looked in my inbox to find a cancellation invoice for £527 each.

The Ts and Cs say that just the deposit is at risk outside of 90 days.  Not sure how they think they can invoice me again.  They shall not get a penny if I have my way but be warned everyone, don't plan too far ahead, P and O could be around the corner.

8 minutes ago, Mollym00 said:

Just cancelled a P and O cruise 13 months after paying the deposit of £500 and 193 days before sailing.  My husband has just had to have open heart surgery, so sailing around the North Atlantic for 21 days this summer is a no go.

P and O offered me a chance to book another cruise using the deposit or lose my deposit.  As hubby is not fit to sail for who knows how long, I opted to lose the deposit £500.  Have just looked in my inbox to find a cancellation invoice for £527 each.

The Ts and Cs say that just the deposit is at risk outside of 90 days.  Not sure how they think they can invoice me again.  They shall not get a penny if I have my way but be warned everyone, don't plan too far ahead, P and O could be around the corner.

Sorry to hear that, and hope your husband makes a good recovery.

I don’t suppose you have any idea what they’re reselling it for? If they’re not making a loss on the resale there are strong arguments for not losing even the deposit.

That aside, it’s all down to the Ts and Cs, of course, at the time you booked. But even those are challengeable If considered unfair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mollym00 said:

Sorry to hear about your husband.

Sounds like an error to me. I should query it. But in any event, your travel insurance will surely cover it, less the excess of course.