Chops or Giovanni's

LuCruise

Which restaurant do you prefer?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which restaurant do you prefer?

• Chops
    • Giovanni's

We tried Chops for the first time on Mariner and loved it. DH is a steak eater and I'm a seafood eater and we both found our meal really good (and service too). There seems to be a lot of complaints on here though for Chops. Not sure if varies from ship to ship?

We have Independence booked and the choice is between Chops or Giovanni's. I know it's subjective, but what do you prefer? Any special dishes at either restaurant?

We've gone on Allure for our last few cruises. We loved Chops and felt the filet in Giovanni's was no where near as good as that in Chops.

Last June we again had a 5 night dining package, so decided to eat at Giovanni's as one of our nights to give us a bit of variation. Wow, what a huge difference from the previous cruises. There was a different manager and I don't know if there was a different chef as well, but the filet was wonderful.

We ended up going to Giovanni's twice for dinner and once for lunch. I'm hoping that when we go on Allure in June that it will still be as good as it was this year. I'm also anxious to compare Jamie's on Harmony to Giovanni's as we are going on Harmony in January.

I see posters say Giovanni's has the better filet. Could someone please tell me what makes it better?

We have always had a great dinner at Chops and really like the menu options. Giovanni's is less appealing to me, anyway. So I am really curious about the difference.

We took a look at the menu for Giovanni's and didn't seem like a large number of good options (as I eat fish/seafood but not beef or chicken). But I keep hearing good things about it (and not always good for Chops)

We tried Chops for the first time on Mariner and loved it. DH is a steak eater and I'm a seafood eater and we both found our meal really good (and service too). There seems to be a lot of complaints on here though for Chops. Not sure if varies from ship to ship?

We have Independence booked and the choice is between Chops or Giovanni's. I know it's subjective, but what do you prefer? Any special dishes at either restaurant?

We like both. However, Giovanni's is a much better buy for your money. Lot's of choices and cheaper.

Thank you for the comments. Sounds like it's not 100% one way or another.

We like both. However, Giovanni's is a much better buy for your money. Lot's of choices and cheaper.

For future cruises we would go using BOGO and FNDR (2 different cruises) so won't be full cost (which by the way is much more on Symphony than it was on Mariner or Independence.). Also currently Chops is cheaper than Giovanni's on our Independence cruise due to a sale.

I love Italian food and my heritage is Italian, but honestly Giovanni's to me is just okay. I would almost go Chop's for shrimp as I don't like meat.

The shrimp was amazing when we went on Mariner. And they adjusted the flavoring as I don't like spicy as per the menu description.

I love Italian food and my heritage is Italian, but honestly Giovanni's to me is just okay. I would almost go Chop's for shrimp as I don't like meat.

Grew up in nyc in a itilian family and totally agree , in past it was better , no Italians in kitchen or staff anymore.

Currently at 21 to 8 for votes in favor of Giovanni's...although the comments are more equal.

Ironic that some feel the filet is better at Giovanni's for meat eaters.

What kind of things (outside of lamb which is no longer offered) stands out at Giovanni's?

It's Giovanni's for me, hands down. Chops is fine, but I believe overrated. The last time I ate there the steaks were ok, but the sides were underwhelming - like they were half orders and had been sitting around for a while. Should have sent them back. I don't think Chops has the quality standards it used to have. I'm planning a lunch at Chops on an upcoming cruise, but for me - dinners will be at Giovanni's and Sabor. Sabor is underrated, in my opinion. I canceled a Chops reservation on my last cruise to eat a second time at Sabor. I would recommend giving it a try.

Currently at 21 to 8 for votes in favor of Giovanni's...although the comments are more equal.

Ironic that some feel the filet is better at Giovanni's for meat eaters.

What kind of things (outside of lamb which is no longer offered) stands out at Giovanni's?

At Giovanni's we liked the filet and the gorgonzola gnocchi. I thought the filet was good at both places on AD. I liked the appetizer choices and desserts at Chops more.

I think Giovanni's has more variety, plus they also serve an excellent filet.

+1... I've had almost everything in all the specialties the past few years, but never the fillet in Giovanni's as my go-to on each and every cruise hands down is the Osso Bucco (best entree offered by Royal in my humble opinion). However the fillet was excellent and will have that again.... and like Bob says, better variety regarding appies as well as accompaniment pastas. I actually like Giovanni's as much as the old Portofino's for various things.

FYI I had red velvet cake last week in Chop's on Explorer... wasn't available on my last two sailings at least (Brilliance on Jewel)

The experience will be different at each locale, based on the ship and the chefs at each restaurant.

My biggest complaint with RCI over the past 17 years has always been that the flat iron steak was similar to leather. The converse is I find the Italian and seafood quite good in the MDR.

I've experienced Chops in a modified way twice on Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston. You can order a filet mignon for around $17 and have it served to your MDR table. IMHO, the filet was on par with Ruth's Chris and Three Forks in North Dallas.

I've yet to try Giovanni's as I find the pasta quality good in the MDR.