Pool deck parties on HAL...

Nashna

This is our first real HAL cruise. Our previous, two-night inaugural cruise on the Maasdam doesn't count. On most cruise lines, there is one special night where there is a party on the pool deck. We are on the Koningsdam in January. Can we expect a special outdoor party on the pool deck?

This is our first real HAL cruise. Our previous, two-night inaugural cruise on the Maasdam doesn't count. On most cruise lines, there is one special night where there is a party on the pool deck. We are on the Koningsdam in January. Can we expect a special outdoor party on the pool deck?

The pool deck becomes a movie theater in the evenings. On our cruise (Dec. 2018) aboard K, we never had a pool party. The party atmosphere happens in the Music Walk venues, especially BB King Blues Club. So, no, don't expect a pool party. There was a Sail Away party on the aft pool deck, but there was only recorded music and light finger food. That was the closest our particular cruise came to a pool party. Maybe other CC members have had different experiences.

I have been on the koningsdam many times and there has never been an outdoor pool/dance party. There was the captain's welcome which was a reception by the lido pool where they spoke for a few minutes and champagne was served. That was it.

There was a crew deck pretty on the top deck one night. They had stacked deck chairs around all of the railings so you couldn't see in but you could definately hear the music. It sounded like a lot of fun. I would have loved to crash it 😁

If HAL wants to target the "baby boomer cruisers" they need to step it up a bit. We have been on Regent, Windstar, Princess and even Seabourn where the party has been lively under the stars.

On a cruise such as a New Year's cruise, there will be a pool deck party that is well attended.

Some cruises have sailaway parties that offer nice appetizers and drinks for which one pays. (Sometimes, the drinks are "free", but don't expect such.) The event does vary from ship and cruise; just not predictable. Checking the daily program ought to give you some clue as to what may be available.

Not all baby boomers want a dance party. I'm a young baby boomer and am quite happy that HAL doesn't have them.

You certainly don’t have to attend. I find it very romantic to be dancing under the stars. One of the best deck parties we experienced was on Windstar. In Rhodes, tables were set up on deck and the crew served an amazing bbq buffet followed by Greek dancing as we slowly departed the port. One of the benefits of cruising is the ability to choose to do what you wish. While I would never watch a movie under the stars, I certainly like to dance under them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There was another thread about this a year ago (approx). HAL used to have very fun Lido pool deck parties, with outdoor grills and live music.

IIRC an inspector or governing body believed there COULD be a problem with food being cooked and served outdoors, and very soon all such outdoor parties were cancelled. It's really a shame as everyone had so much fun (conga lines, etc) and the food was delicious.

We did know that HAL is geared to an older crowd. However, dancing under the stars can be enjoyed at any age.

I totally agree. It sucks that HAL has almost completely done away with all forms of lido entertainment including a night time dance party. I don't get it. It seems every other line, regardless of the cruise category, has at least one lido party.

I'll never understand why some people say they are happy certain things like this don't exist. Last I checked, attendance wasn't compulsory.

Well, we have certainly had some pool parties in the evening. The Westerdam comes to mind. (We've also had parties during the day time with entertainment, etc. Prinsendam comes to mind for that.)

Now, these were longer itineraries but there were definitely some parties with local entertainment, etc. One was to make up for missing ports but the others were not. Perhaps it depends on the Captain and HD?

Captain Van Eerten was our Captain both times.

Are you talking about parties like the Norwegian Night Out or GLOW Party? If so, no.

There was another thread about this a year ago (approx). HAL used to have very fun Lido pool deck parties, with outdoor grills and live music.

IIRC an inspector or governing body believed there COULD be a problem with food being cooked and served outdoors, and very soon all such outdoor parties were cancelled. It's really a shame as everyone had so much fun (conga lines, etc) and the food was delicious.

It was not that there "could" be a problem with cooking food outdoors, it was that the set up HAL was using for their deck BBQ's (and they were setting one up during a USPH inspection, so the inspectors got to see a new meal service) did not meet the USPH requirements for safe food handling. The biggest complaint was the lack of hand washing stations for the food service workers, but there were also concerns about time and temperature controls methods for potentially hazardous foods, and also pest control.

It was not that there "could" be a problem with cooking food outdoors, it was that the set up HAL was using for their deck BBQ's (and they were setting one up during a USPH inspection, so the inspectors got to see a new meal service) did not meet the USPH requirements for safe food handling. The biggest complaint was the lack of hand washing stations for the food service workers, but there were also concerns about time and temperature controls methods for potentially hazardous foods, and also pest control.

Good thing thing they don't come to my bbq's. If people want to wash their hands, they come into the house.

No hand washing stations on my deck here either ;)

Pests are kept away with certain inhibitors.

We definitely wouldn't pass ;) :')

Good thing thing they don't come to my bbq's. If people want to wash their hands, they come into the house.

No hand washing stations on my deck here either ;)

Pests are kept away with certain inhibitors.

We definitely wouldn't pass ;) :')

Clean as most of us think we keeep o ur kichens, refrigerators, stoves, floor etc, most of us would fail miserably if we had to under go an insp;ection su ch as USPH conducts.

Hank,

Some of us think we are still young' uns when we cross the gangways on the ships. .

We hear ya :). Perhaps that is what keeps us going back on cruise ships. Every day on a ship makes us younger.

Hank

Clean as most of us think we keeep o ur kichens, refrigerators, stoves, floor etc, most of us would fail miserably if we had to under go an insp;ection su ch as USPH conducts.

USPH inspectors have the ability to find health violations on a brand new ship on her first day out with paying customers, kinda, sorta like motor cops and a car just off the dealership's showroom floor