Oceania Tahiti - any recent reviews?

caviargal

• 4 months later...

Thank you Thank you!!!!

We are on Marina for the 12 day FP on Feb 13, 2018. No roll call yet so I may start one. The info on tours is hard to come by and this thread is soooo helpful.

In fakarava, has anyone gone to pink sands as opposed to blue lagoon. I'm afraid that blue lagoon may be packed with 1100 Marina passengers but it looks like pink sands quite a hike.

Also, is it worth waiting for Huahine to buy pearls? I'd like to purchase a strand and maybe a few little pieces with mother of pearl.

We plan to spend 4 days on Bora Bora pre cruise. Any thoughts on Four Seasons vs St Regis?

I am also thinking of spending an additional day precruise in Papeete to visit the market. Our cruise ends on Sunday and even if I fly out that evening, I understand that the vast majority of the market is closed on Sunday. Is it worth seeing the city for a day. IC is reasonably priced and I'd rather be jet lagged in Papeete the waste a day sleeping in bora bora as it is so pricey.

Lastly, I am up in the air on Oceania Air. I can use miles to LAX then purchase flights on Air France. The flight back leaves at 8:30 a.m. Which I think would work. I think the Oceania flight is late evening.

People have discussed staying on the ship until evening for late flights, is this still possible. If not, Oceania's Day rooms cost as much or more than just getting a room for the night and leaving for the airport at 9:00 p.m. instead of staying the night. Is there a reason why no one does this?

Any info would be much appreciated!!!!!!!

Also, is it worth waiting for Huahine to buy pearls? I'd like to purchase a strand and maybe a few little pieces with mother of pearl. No, buy where you like the design. A strand of good pearls is extremely expensive.

I am also thinking of spending an additional day precruise in Papeete to visit the market. Our cruise ends on Sunday and even if I fly out that evening, I understand that the vast majority of the market is closed on Sunday. Is it worth seeing the city for a day. IC is reasonably priced and I'd rather be jet lagged in Papeete the waste a day sleeping in bora bora as it is so pricey. I would also visit pre-cruise. Papeete is a typical South Pacific town. No particular architecture highlights, but locals come here for shopping. Eat at the roulottes (food trucks) at the downtown waterfront. They open at around 6 pm.

My comments inserted in red.

I m on same cruise, and booked my own air. Leaving LAX on Air Tahiti,, at 430 day before and staying in Papeete.Then staying extra nite there and fly home next pm.Business air was same price on own,then thru O. Have not booked any excursions,as took the 4 free ones offered.

Leaving in 3 wks on Iceland,Greenland one,so should be a real change weather wise from next one,right.

Got my hotels on Hotels.com and cheaper than booking with O also.

Thank you LHT 28 for the info regarding the roll call.

Also, thank you Floridana. I think I will go another day pre cruise to visit Papeete and the pearl shops. My cruise leaves Tuesday. The prior Wed flights arrive in the evening where the Thurs flight I originally decided upon arrives Fri morning. By leaving Wed, I can get a reasonably priced hotel in Papeete late Wed thru Thurs night then head to Bora Bora as planned on Fri morning. I do want to make an informed purchase and I think I need time in Papeete to do that. I have a beautiful Mikimoto piece and I am not looking for that level of quality but I want something unique to remind me the trip.

The only problem is that I am stuck on air Tahiti as opposed to Air France, it doesn't fly on Wed. With this being the case, I'll probably take the O Air as it is the best price by far. My TA said they have a Charter leaving Papeete Sunday. Are they as horrible as I've heard? Business upgrade is about $4000 pp, insane, not even lie flat beds. We always use star alliance miles but impossible to Tahiti, I'll keep my $8000 (pearls) and reluctantly fly coach. What are you thoughts? Would this work?

Thanks for all the information, we booked this cruise long time ago but had to cancel last minute do to illness. Now we're thinking about the LA to Tahiti. Acrusa, thanks that was good to know about your cruise from LA.

Rick

I am booked on 5/9/17 Papeete to Papeete and anxiously awaiting. Can anyone from January cruise advise how air arrangements by O were, and the included excursions. We have picked the 8 included excursions. Any other information regarding your cruise will be appreciated. Thanks,

Barbara

Was wondering if you could give a review of your experience? Which ship were you on?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also, thank you Floridana. I think I will go another day pre cruise to visit Papeete and the pearl shops. My cruise leaves Tuesday. The prior Wed flights arrive in the evening where the Thurs flight I originally decided upon arrives Fri morning. By leaving Wed, I can get a reasonably priced hotel in Papeete late Wed thru Thurs night then head to Bora Bora as planned on Fri morning. I do want to make an informed purchase and I think I need time in Papeete to do that. I have a beautiful Mikimoto piece and I am not looking for that level of quality but I want something unique to remind me the trip.

The only problem is that I am stuck on air Tahiti as opposed to Air France, it doesn't fly on Wed. With this being the case, I'll probably take the O Air as it is the best price by far. My TA said they have a Charter leaving Papeete Sunday. Are they as horrible as I've heard? Business upgrade is about $4000 pp, insane, not even lie flat beds. We always use star alliance miles but impossible to Tahiti, I'll keep my $8000 (pearls) and reluctantly fly coach. What are you thoughts? Would this work?

I could be wrong but I don't think Papeete is the best island to buy your pearls on.

I've flown coach 3 times on Tahiti Nui and I don't find it any better or worse than any others in Coach, actually it's better than some as they are pretty large planes. I think you have to consider the perspective of the "horrible" describers. Do they usually fly Business or first? Do they fly long haul flights very often?

Thank you Thank you!!!!

We are on Marina for the 12 day FP on Feb 13, 2018. No roll call yet so I may start one. The info on tours is hard to come by and this thread is soooo helpful.

In fakarava, has anyone gone to pink sands as opposed to blue lagoon. I'm afraid that blue lagoon may be packed with 1100 Marina passengers but it looks like pink sands quite a hike.

Also, is it worth waiting for Huahine to buy pearls? I'd like to purchase a strand and maybe a few little pieces with mother of pearl.

We plan to spend 4 days on Bora Bora pre cruise. Any thoughts on Four Seasons vs St Regis?

I am also thinking of spending an additional day precruise in Papeete to visit the market. Our cruise ends on Sunday and even if I fly out that evening, I understand that the vast majority of the market is closed on Sunday. Is it worth seeing the city for a day. IC is reasonably priced and I'd rather be jet lagged in Papeete the waste a day sleeping in bora bora as it is so pricey.

Lastly, I am up in the air on Oceania Air. I can use miles to LAX then purchase flights on Air France. The flight back leaves at 8:30 a.m. Which I think would work. I think the Oceania flight is late evening.

People have discussed staying on the ship until evening for late flights, is this still possible. If not, Oceania's Day rooms cost as much or more than just getting a room for the night and leaving for the airport at 9:00 p.m. instead of staying the night. Is there a reason why no one does this?

We did Sirena Papeete- LA on 5/19/17. My review just went up yesterday. The cruise was fantastic. Ports, the ship, the ambience- superb.

The Papeete market we felt was not what it used to be. Souvenirs, fish, flowers- it took us around twenty minutes to walk through. I wouldn't spend an extra day to spend time here. We didn't do it, but heard many people who took a tour of the island of Tahiti rave. We did it many years ago and found it wonderful- worth an extra day and very much like Kauai. We did an all day sail tour in Huahine, but heard people say that Huahine was very good for pearls.

We too heard all the dissatisfaction with ATN and were worried. We flew them 5/18/17 and the flight was better than fine. Seats, comfort, service, food- it was great and we had no complaints. I'd do it again with nary a concern. The only people who were unhappy were those who took the O air, the charter, which arrived at 10pm on cruise day. Awful for them arriving onboard close to midnight and tours scheduled next day.

For anyone who is booking this cruise, Papeete-LA and reverse, go for it! It was about the best cruise we've ever taken Ship (Sirena) and itinerary about equal weight.

I just read your review. Thank you so much. Can you elaborate as to which tour companies you used. We have a hard rule to book only independent tours. If A country is hosting me, The least I can do is spend with the locals, not the shareholders of a cruise line. I support them enough already.

I wish we could sail from Papeete to LA, that sounds wonderful!! This is 70th bday cruise for my husband but we are both still working. I do question our intelligence for that decision on a regular basis. :)

I planned to get a room at the IC for one day upon arrival to see Papeete but also to rest. We are heading to the FS in Bora Bora and it is just too pricey to waste a day jet lagged! Is the island tour you mentioned all day or a half day. Maybe we can do that for part of the day.

Regarding pearls, I thought I would get educated in Papeete and Bora Bora but purchase in either Fakarava or Huahine. Did your tour go to the Pearl Farms at either place. I am in the anti counterfeiting business so I am the eternal skeptic when purchasing anything authentic. The pearl farms are attractive because of this. Authenticity is more important to me than perfection.

I am a bit concerned as I may have to use O Air. We are deviating on the front end so it will be air Tahiti as it is the only airline that flies that day. I guess we would return on the charter. Would you recommend booking ourselves to avoid it?

Thanks again!

I just read your review. Thank you so much. Can you elaborate as to which tour companies you used. We have a hard rule to book only independent tours. If A country is hosting me, The least I can do is spend with the locals, not the shareholders of a cruise line. I support them enough already.

I wish we could sail from Papeete to LA, that sounds wonderful!! This is 70th bday cruise for my husband but we are both still working. I do question our intelligence for that decision on a regular basis. :)

I planned to get a room at the IC for one day upon arrival to see Papeete but also to rest. We are heading to the FS in Bora Bora and it is just too pricey to waste a day jet lagged! Is the island tour you mentioned all day or a half day. Maybe we can do that for part of the day.

Regarding pearls, I thought I would get educated in Papeete and Bora Bora but purchase in either Fakarava or Huahine. Did your tour go to the Pearl Farms at either place. I am in the anti counterfeiting business so I am the eternal skeptic when purchasing anything authentic. The pearl farms are attractive because of this. Authenticity is more important to me than perfection.

I am a bit concerned as I may have to use O Air. We are deviating on the front end so it will be air Tahiti as it is the only airline that flies that day. I guess we would return on the charter. Would you recommend booking ourselves to avoid it?

Thanks again!

In Bora Bora, we highly recommend the excursion with Patrick of Maohi Nui. http://www.maohinui.net/en/lagon-et-festin-polynesien

We took this tour last year with fellow cruisers on our RC, and had a fantastic experience! You can read our TripAdvisor review posted on Feb. 6, 2016. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...s.html#REVIEWS

In Fakarava, we highly recommend the excursion with Ato Lissant. http://www.fakarava-divelodge.com/ex...able-rose.html

In 2016, we took his tour with fellow cruisers on our RC, and had a great experience. You can read our TripAdvisor review posted on Feb. 6, 2016. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...chipelago.html

We loved our 2016 FP Marina cruise so much that we are returning next year when we are doing a B2B. Next year, we have booked tours with Ato and Patrick again. :D

Edited by ruthnlarry

Thanks again!

Hi again :)

The islands we visited that overlap those you'll visit are Huahine, Rangiroa and Nuku Hiva. The day spent sailing was with Huahine Voile and it was a full day. Another option for you on Huahine is with Marc's Nautique- people seemed to be very pleased. 6 hours of snorkeling, picnic lunch and I'm fairly sure they visited a pearl farm. For snorkeling on Rangiroa we used Y'Aka Plongee (loved it and them), and the 4 hour tour in Nuku Hiva in air conditioned jeep was with Temarama Tours, another nice day.

I'd not be intimidated by the O charter- they use the word "charter" but it is exactly the same as their regular flights. O sometimes takes all available seats, sometimes just a percentage based on the cruise. But you get same service (which as I say was very good) as their other passengers.

Very envious of you- we aren't returning until 2019 but have pangs to return sooner if we could.

Nancy

We did Sirena Papeete- LA on 5/19/17. My review just went up yesterday. The cruise was fantastic. Ports, the ship, the ambience- superb.

The Papeete market we felt was not what it used to be. Souvenirs, fish, flowers- it took us around twenty minutes to walk through. I wouldn't spend an extra day to spend time here. We didn't do it, but heard many people who took a tour of the island of Tahiti rave. We did it many years ago and found it wonderful- worth an extra day and very much like Kauai. We did an all day sail tour in Huahine, but heard people say that Huahine was very good for pearls.

Where can we find your review posted?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We flew ATN twice in coach and had no absolutely no problem. The plane was fairly new, service fine and we got fed. The flight was definitely better than the 5 hour NYC to LAX leg on American where the plane was so old we had cigarette lighters in the seats, old box TVs in the aisles and nothing to eat (not kidding it was scary).

We flew O air but with the deviation on both ends and chose our flights. If the cruise overnights on the back end in Tahiti than you have an option of booking an evening flight the day before your scheduled disembarkation. This allows you to remain on the ship in the comfort of your cabin (or tour around) until it is time for your flight. This also precludes waiting around all day in Tahiti for a night flight or having to get a day room. Papeete is not that great especially on Sunday when everything is closed. We rented a car a drove around the island which was nice just to kill time until our flight took off in the evening. The airport is not air conditioned and nothing is open until the evening when the flights are scheduled to take off.

As far as the pearls go, there are pearl farms and stores on just about all the islands you will visit. Bora Bora is filled with them. The government controls the process and rating on quality. Pricing is another matter. I would goggle where the best places/outlets are. Pearls are high maintenance (and high price) so I was not that interested other than the actually method of farming them.

We joined with others on our roll call and arranged private tours many of which have already been mentioned. Book early since they fill quickly. These islands are small and there aren't many operators.

The islands are stunning. We have always stayed on Moorea after disembarkation. Your can ferry over from where the cruise ship docks. It is a quick ride and a stunning island. Enjoy your trip.

We flew ATN twice in coach and had no absolutely no problem. The plane was fairly new, service fine and we got fed. The flight was definitely better than the 5 hour NYC to LAX leg on American where the plane was so old we had cigarette lighters in the seats, old box TVs in the aisles and nothing to eat (not kidding it was scary).

Have to ask, do you really mean cigarette lighters and not ashtrays as have been flying for over 50 years with over a million miles and have never seen lighters in the seats but, until recently there were ash trays in the armrests??

Thanks,

That is great info. I can not thank you enough for being so helpful. Based on what I have read on the boards, I have my tour companies picked out. I will reserve space and put down deposits then figure out which tour to take. They all look so amazing!!!

Also, I am getting the picture of what people are saying about having to vacate their stateroom at 8:00 a.m. but staying on the ship late on embarkation day. Obviously, we are sharing a charter flight with the next cruise. We arrive Feb 25 in Papeete to disembark. The next cruise starts on Feb 25th but doesn't leave Papeete until the 26th at 5 a.m. The flight for both is the 25th around 11:00 p.m. Oceania has plenty of space on the ship until the charter flight comes in. Ahhhh haaaa, now it makes sense. Hopefully, we can stay on the ship until we have to head for the airport as most of the island is closed on Sunday.

Now if I can just decide between the Four Seasons and the St Regis for our 4 nights on Bora Bora!

Regarding flights, it sounds like the Tahiti Nui charter in coach will be ok. DH is 6'4" so coach is never good for him. I'll beg for one seat in an exit row. (Kids are 6'7" and 6'5" thank goodness they are not traveling with us!) DH has a few million miles on United so we almost always get 1st. No Star Alliance partners in Tahiti unless we want to go to Auckland.

Can I request a seat on an Oceania flight?

Has anyone stayed late on the ship on debarkation day?

SR vs FS Bora Bora, any thoughts?

Have to ask, do you really mean cigarette lighters and not ashtrays as have been flying for over 50 years with over a million miles and have never seen lighters in the seats but, until recently there were ash trays in the armrests??

Thanks,

Good question. It definitely had an ash tray. All I remember is that this plane is old - really old.

We arrived in Papeete on the last flight, around 10 p.m. If you can avoid late arrival, I would. Our seats were toward the back of the plane. It took forever to get through customs and then forever to get a taxi afterwards. Then when we were finally on the ship, we had to do check-in, lifeboat drill, etc. Keep in mind we'd been up that morning since 6 a.m. (US Eastern time). Needless to say, we were exhausted by the time we got to bed. Would also recommend an excursion with Patrick on Bora Bora. Unfortunately, I got the flu and was unable to do the tour but our friends who were able to go said it was wonderful.

I thought that would be the case, either come at 6 am or 10 pm .Took later ,but just for easier trip from FL. Then staying that nite and next before cruise. Wanted to avoid sitting a long time in am to get on ship,but later with no hotel sounds awful.Would end up sleeping all day. Sort of a compromise and luckily have time off to do it.Long plane rides sort of do me in at my age.

When we went 3 yrs ago, we got in about 9 at night after all day journey fm Florida. I liked it as we could go to bed as soon as luggage got to room. We scheduled an afternoon private tour the next day on Moorea (atvs which were a lot of fun) and just took a taxi to the nearest town in the am after breakfast, etc. We took a taxi (having researched what price to pay) fm the airport and were on the boat by 10. Most on our flight were on the cruise but got to the ship long before midnight, maybe it is busier now? Terrace was open for late arrivals who wanted food and many went straight to the bar-Food on charter was ok if not great-nice amenity packs for all categories. I would always opt for the late flight but I am not a big sleeper. This cruise is still my favorite O cruise so far. Relax and enjoy it. Plenty of chances to hear more than you ever wanted to know about the pearls. We did only private tours as did most then. Nuku Hiva is the only port that is less interesting-I cannot believe many of the cruises spend more time there now. We had a late flight as many do on debarkation. We rented a car and went around the island which is quite nice away from Papeete. Some people took taxis to tour the island. Only some people we knew who stayed at a hotel for the day were unhappy with what they did. We got sandwiches (before going through security) at the airport for dinner-they were very good. There were last minute shopping opportunities before and after security. Remember that on the weekends, Papeete pulls in the sidewalks on Saturday afternoon and maybe Sunday too (We left on Saturday) and you will see the locals on the beach not in the shops. There are many ways to go at both ends of this cruise-go with an open unworried mind and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Our cruise ends in Papeete at 5:00 a.m. There is an Air France flight at 8:00 a.m.. Oceania will not book any flights prior to 9:00 a.m. We are purchasing our own air.

Does anyone remember what is the earliest time to disembark is? If we dock at 5:00 and are off by 6:00, it should be a breeze. Otherwise we are stuck with Oceania's charter.

Our cruise ends in Papeete at 5:00 a.m. There is an Air France flight at 8:00 a.m.. Oceania will not book any flights prior to 9:00 a.m. We are purchasing our own air.

Does anyone remember what is the earliest time to disembark is? If we dock at 5:00 and are off by 6:00, it should be a breeze. Otherwise we are stuck with Oceania's charter.

Unfortunately you are taking a huge risk taking that 8 AM flight. Remember, there is no latest time to disembark. There are issues that can and sometimes do delay arrival at the final port and/or disembarkation. Should your arrival or disembarkation be delayed, how are you going to get home. You are on an Island with only a few flights every day and being on Air France one flight per day and not everyday. Can't imagine the stress of worrying about making the flight and should you miss it how will you get home as possibly you will be asked to pay full fare for the next available flight home which could be several days. Too much stress and too many bad possibilities to take this 8 AM flight.

Almost forgot, what happens if Air France should change the flight time to earlier??? Another possibility as schedules change and you are responsible to make that flight with no other possibilities in this case.