Toothache on board

basic pain meds. if it requires more care they will tell you the name of dentists at the next port,. where you will pay up front in full then try and recoup anything form your insurance once you get back. they may go so far as to make arrangements for you to get to the office.

Anyone ever have a toothache while cruising. What did the medical center do for you, if anything.🤔

Others have reported being set up with an appointment with a dentist in the next port and it went smoothly. The ship does not have a dentist on staff.

Most medical doctors don't have a clue about tooth issues, so I'm guessing antibiotics, pain killers and a discounted drink package?

I will get a toothache for the last part of that prescription!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone ever have a toothache while cruising. What did the medical center do for you, if anything.🤔

They will help treat the pain, but will direct you to a dentist at one of the ports for any dental work.

If you’ve ever been sick on a cruise ship and went to to the ships store to buy something to help make you better...After you got over the price sticker shock. I’m sure you noticed they don’t carry much to help you. We have always cruised with an well stocked emergency med bag. After paying over 8 bucks one time for something for a sore throat...We always cruise prepared for most contingencies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I received an envelope with Motrin 8, several of them, an envelope with oral penicillin, and another envelope full of a sedative but I don’t remember what it was. I was to take one of each every two hours. It was 1am, and the nurse and I were in our nightgowns stuffed in our slacks. She asked for $10, but all I had was my key. I took one of each and went to bed. Slept about 10 hours and the toothache was gone when I got up. I went back the next day and gave her the $10. Her name tag said LPN. I’m sure the $10 went into her pocket, but she saved my cruise. I’ve always wondered about her just handing me that stuff!

I don’t think that scenario would happen today, but maybe you could get the same meds if you had a really bad toothache.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband had a crown fall off on our 1st day of a cruise. No pain, tho'. He went to Medical. They offered to set him up with a dentist in St. Thomas but he declined. He decided to wait until we got home since it really wasn't a problem.

Thanks everyone. Hope my dentist can fit me in, we leave in 4 days. Kinda aggravated because I was there last week & told him where I thought the problem was & wanted X-rays, but he had other ideas & his diagnosis was incorrect. Oh well, if he can't see me and the pain returns, everyone on the Grandeur will hear the screaming coming from Suite 8500.

Felt like I was coming down with a cold late one night, which quickly got worse in the night. Shops were all closed and we were at sea. When we got to the port, shops were still closed on the ship, so we went to a pharmacy in Dominica. Didn't recognize any of the meds but finally got something. Probably should have gone to medical. I now always carry OTC cold meds, along with the usual things in my medicine cabinet at home.We've been very glad to have the Pepto, Advil, tums, Robitussin gel caps, Neosporin, etc.

For lost or broken fillings/crowns, there is a product that Wal Mart (and I'm sure others) sells. It is basically a kind of putty/wax that you cram down in the hole. It keeps the exposed nerves from having the air and liquids touch them. It's pretty cheap and should work until you can get home and see your dentist.

I bought ours many years ago, and my Mom had to use it on Christmas Day until we could get her in to see the dentist. I've got to go get some more - thanks for the reminder! It was located in the First Aid section. I'll try to find the name if anybody is interested.

Thanks everyone. Hope my dentist can fit me in, we leave in 4 days. Kinda aggravated because I was there last week & told him where I thought the problem was & wanted X-rays, but he had other ideas & his diagnosis was incorrect. Oh well, if he can't see me and the pain returns, everyone on the Grandeur will hear the screaming coming from Suite 8500.

I hope they’re able to see you at your dentist! I am on your sailing! [emoji28]

Oil of Clove (Clove essential oil). Put a drop or two on your finger then rub in on the area of pain. I work in the oral surgery field. Tastes terrible but it works miracles.

Isn't that what they swab you with, before giving you a novocaine injection?

Isn't that what they swab you with, before giving you a novocaine injection?

nope -- that's a topical gel which is similar to OTC anbesol but much much stronger

Not sure if the ship has any way of locating a passenger who is a dentist on board? You could post in your roll call...maybe you'll get lucky with a dentist being there who could take a look and offer some advice!

Even if you did, most toothaches will need something done to the tooth, which I am sure the dentist would not have available.

Even if you did, most toothaches will need something done to the tooth, which I am sure the dentist would not have available.

True. I was trained as a dentist, and end up doing 'house calls' all the time for family, friends etc. Obviously can't do any 'treatment' in that situation, but potentially identifying large infection, significant decay, broken filling etc may be useful....will all due respect to most of my physician colleagues, them looking into the mouth trying to diagnose a toothache is similar to me looking at...some other orifices...so may be worth a shot!

For lost or broken fillings/crowns, there is a product that Wal Mart (and I'm sure others) sells. It is basically a kind of putty/wax that you cram down in the hole. It keeps the exposed nerves from having the air and liquids touch them. It's pretty cheap and should work until you can get home and see your dentist.

I bought ours many years ago, and my Mom had to use it on Christmas Day until we could get her in to see the dentist. I've got to go get some more - thanks for the reminder! It was located in the First Aid section. I'll try to find the name if anybody is interested.

It is called Dentemp, fix for lost fillings and loose caps.