genuine question not trying to start something

Rjh8842

I always keep the auto tips on. But I only tip extra if the person truly goes above and beyond their usual duties. On my last cruise, the room stewardess did and she got additional money. The steward on the next-to-the-last cruise didn't show up for 24 hrs (and we were in a full suite), then only did the basic cleaning and we never saw him again. He did not get extra.

No I am not a ta. I do have a postion where I am offered tips often. However my company does prohibit me from accepting them. But I know when I am offered these tips it is for going above and beyond. Like you said the ta is just doing their job. But isn't the cruise staff just doing their job? So why one over the other? Is it

Societal pressure? Or is it some other reason? Why is what I do not understand.

Then I will explain it to you.

The job cruise staff does:

A) Involves menial personal services, such as serving meals, cleaning rooms, cleaning toilets, etc.

B) Is one that is filled for the most part by people who are unable to find any employment at home.

C) Offers room and board in crowded, windowless facilities that most people who make up the cruising public would find intolerable.

D) Is clearly disclosed to the cruising public as one where tips are considered an essential part of compensation.

I could go on, but if the above is beyond your comprehension, any further effort would be a waste of my time.

And??? The same is true for many corporate EX-PATs. The same is true for couples where one spouse is the primary breadwinner. Depending on their cost of living, the other spouse's income can be completely discretionary income. Or people who own investment properties. Why is it an issue for the crew? And the money only goes straight to the bank IF the crew member is single with no kids or other family to support.

Don't travel agents make salary plus commission?

The company that I book my cruises through, I'm sure those people work from home because the agents I work with always have weird hours (i . e. 9am - 1pm then 7pm - 11pm on Mondays & Thursdays only, but all day on Tuesdays and never on Wednesdays 😂)

So are you trying to say that travel agents should be tipped or that the crew shouldn't receive extra tips?

Not all tas have a salary. Some only have commision. So my question is why do people think it is okay to get price drops or sometimes even cancel a cruise and the ta loses money. While on the other hand is generous with the cruise staff? What is the thinking behind this?

Do I overpay my hairdresser because I tip? Do I overpay the hotel porter who carries my bags because I tip? Do I overpay a taxi driver because I tip? Should I tip the bank manager who is always so helpful? Should I tip the real estate agent who is listing our house? Is her commission not sufficient? Oh, and by the way, the last time we bought a house, the agent sent us a lovely crystal decanter as a thank you gift. So I guess you could say she was "tipping" us (and hoping for further referrals). Just good business on her part.

No one needs to justify not tipping a travel agent. It is the travel agent who provides extras to her clients, not the other way around. Just good business. Perhaps you should seek a position on a cruise ship if you believe the crew is "overpaid." Then you can be "overpaid" too!

I never said that a ta should be tipped.

Restaurant servers, bartenders, hair stylists, cab/Uber drivers, and the pizza delivery guy are all just doing their job too. Should they not be tipped?

No I think that they should not need to be. I think that employers should be paying them more. But not that is not the point.

I liked it mush better when you were given envelopes in your state room for Gratuities. There was only early or late dinning when you sit at the same table every night with the same waiter.Most crew members do not like the new system because the distribution of gratuities are up to the cruise line. Talking to many of the crew members that have been working on cruise ships for many years agree that they receive less now.

Sit at large MDR fixed tables on a cruise to hear the truth about tipping on cruise ships

Listen to the amount of cruisers who complain "on ships" about daily tips once they start showing up on their account.

Parents of small children are the worst because so many believe its outrageous to charge kids so much per day because they are just kids.

Mmmmm. I have always sat at large tables in the MDR and not once in all my cruises has anyone every brought up the topic of tipping. I wonder why only you experience this?????

Read the ammount of cruisers who enquire and complain about a very small increase in ship board cost or about loosing a very small amount of OBC when re booking then read how they proffess to tip above and beyond so extravegantly?

Again, I have never run across these people. Who are they? Where do they hide? Do you have a secret forum that you all go to?

I am Australian and have zero tip culture but on my last USA cruise on a MDR table of 8 that become a very squeezy 9 to accomadate an over needy frequant cruiser who insisted on sitting at our table we were the only two who left our tips in place, all the rest confessed quite openly that they had removed tips because they were too expensive, so go figure US Tip Culture then figure reality! The people who only tip the wharf porters a buck or two then go around tipping foreigh non US wage structure cruise staff lots more? nah it just doesnt happen in reality.

Seriously? I am having a very hard time believing this paragraph. :rolleyes:

No I think that they should not need to be. I think that employers should be paying them more. But not that is not the point.

You are correct. That is not the point. I really don't know what your point is. But for proclaiming it was not your intention to "start an argument," you sure did. If you don't understand the situation by now, you never will. Time to move on to acceptance. Peace.

So my question is why is it considered socially necessary to overpay cruise staff but be not think twice about a travel agent?
A travel agent makes their money by volume, so if they take care of their customers, their customers not only come back, but they refer others to them and these things equate to their good salary.

As far as crew, I don't take into consideration that they get room and board, just as I don't take into consideration that a server at a land restaurant might live with their parents and getting free room and board. Add to this, that what their salary is is none of my business, but as with a server, houskeepers, etc. on land, I tip if someone based on services rendered.

Wondering, before you tip someone, do you ask about their living arrangements before you decide what to tip?

Mmmmm. I have always sat at large tables in the MDR and not once in all my cruises has anyone every brought up the topic of tipping. I wonder why only you experience this?????

Again, I have never run across these people. Who are they? Where do they hide? Do you have a secret forum that you all go to?

Actually we did sit at a table on Fascination and one of our table mates mentioned that the tips could be removed. I asked why one would do that if the service was acceptable and didn't get an answer and the topic wasn't raised again. I have also overheard people at guest services removing their tips.

I liked it mush better when you were given envelopes in your state room for Gratuities. There was only early or late dinning when you sit at the same table every night with the same waiter.Most crew members do not like the new system because the distribution of gratuities are up to the cruise line. Talking to many of the crew members that have been working on cruise ships for many years agree that they receive less now.

I find it in poor taste to ask people who serve you how much they earn. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would be so rude to ask such intrusive questions. :rolleyes:

There is a reason the cruise lines began using the new system. It's because of people who conveniently "couldn't find" their service staff on the last night and didn't give them a tip. I remember that many people didn't show up in the MDR on the last night. It isn't difficult to imagine why that was.

Talking to many of the crew members that have been working on cruise ships for many years agree that they receive less now.

Probably because they have to share with the people you never see (and therefore did not tip before). Laundry people, dish washers, etc.

I understand the OP's point questioning why some are more sympathetic (generous) to one group than the other. My recent experience may provide an interesting perspective on the issue....

Nine months ago I worked with a TA on a cruise deal I was considering. He owned a franchise and was essentially a small business owner whose livelihood was dependent on commissions. That cruise didn't work out, but I liked him and told him I would contact him when planning my next cruise. A couple of months ago I was ready to book my next cruise. Because of my research, I was aware that a big box TA was offering considerable OBC on this cruise. As promised I contacted the franchise TA and gave him the details of the cruise I wanted to book. His quote offered significantly less OBC than the big box TA. I responded that as a small business owner myself, I felt uncomfortable squeezing him on commission, but the price difference was just too great to ignore. He asked for the big box quote and said he would see if he could match it. I told him I would totally understand if he wanted to pass on this booking if it wasn't worth it to him. He came back and matched the offer - having to pay for some of the OBC himself. I have no idea how much money he made on this booking, but he clearly wanted it - and got it.

In hindsight, I would have been willing to accept somewhat less OBC in order to support a small business over a big box store and perhaps I should have let him know that.

One thing the internet culture has brought us is the ability (compulsion?) to search for the best deal on most any purchase. This dynamic does not apply when it comes to tipping for service. There is no compulsion to seek the lowest tip. Tipping is more a case of assessing the value received. In fairness it might be better if TAs were compensated based on value received, but that's not the way they price their services. We pay in advance for a TA's service without regard to the quality of their follow-on service.

I read somewhere that some cruiselines in fact charge the crew a nominal amount for room and board.

Ah, that would have had to have been either Walker's slime blog or someone who got their data from him, because it shows a complete lack of knowledge of international maritime law.

It is becoming very easy to find a TA that offers prepaid gratuities. If you don't like to tip just use a TA that includes gratuities as a perk. Our last cruise we booked with the cruise line to pick up a large OBC they were offering, we then transferred our booking over to the online TA we use to pick up added OBC, pre paid grats, and specialty dinning for 2 . If the TA is offering over $350.00 in perks there must be a heck of a large commission for those TA'S that offer nothing.

I never said that a ta should be tipped.

Go back and read your own opening post - your closing line pretty well did say that when you said: "...over pay cruise staff but not think twice about a travel agent."

Which, come to think about it, is OBVIOUSLY trying to start an argument.

Parents of small children are the worst because so many believe its outrageous to charge kids so much per day because they are just kids.

This is infuriating. Money can be tight for us but we’re the first to admit that our son creates a bigger mess than us. I hate when I read people trying to stiff the staff because kids are small. Dirty diapers, food on the floor, having to be more mindful of naps/early bedtimes, extra splashing in the bathroom, and just how obnoxious and annoying kids can be in general. Stiffing the staff of kids’ tips and thinking going on vacation means your kid suddenly doesn’t need a car seat are two of my biggest pet peeves.

When I read the OP;s post I quickly pulled up all their other CC posts. And what do I find? Somebody who has lots of posts about what everything costs. In polite terms the OP sounds like somebody who is very "tight."

That being said, we do agree with some of the cost issue. We have been cruising for over forty years (far more than 100 cruises and 1000 days) and have long had a big issue with the entire cruise line tip thing. At one time the tipping thing was really legit and passengers would hand tip envelopes (on the last night) to those who provided personal service and the cruiser deemed worthy of tips. In our case we usually would tip far more than the old cruise line guidelines because we thought it was deserved. But now it has become simply a stupid BS cruise line policy that allows them to market a lower price...and then demand more money via automated gratuities. Why don;t they simply add that cost to the cruise price? Because it is now a marketing gimmick. Perhaps our Aussie friends said it best when they said, pay a person a living wage and have no so-called tips.

But I will simply tell the OP that it is the way it is....this is how the cruise industry works, and nearly everyone goes along with the program. On the other hand, I do not buy into the "poor crew folks" because the crew actually competes to get these jobs and they are not slaves. They work on contracts (usually 6-9 months) and do not come back unless they choose. And many crew have been working on the lines for years (and even decades). It is their choice.

Hank

But I will simply tell the OP that it is the way it is....this is how the cruise industry works, and nearly everyone goes along with the program. On the other hand, I do not buy into the "poor crew folks" because the crew actually competes to get these jobs and they are not slaves. They work on contracts (usually 6-9 months) and do not come back unless they choose. And many crew have been working on the lines for years (and even decades). It is their choice.

Hank

Everything you say is true; but, while "it is their choice", it is a choice they make in what amounts to a vacuum - they are from environments where the cruise line jobs are simply the best/only options available - out of very few. Why do you think you see so few from the US, Canada, UK, Western Europe or other economically advanced countries - where other options exist?

Everything you say is true; but, while "it is their choice", it is a choice they make in what amounts to a vacuum - they are from environments where the cruise line jobs are simply the best/only options available - out of very few. Why do you think you see so few from the US, Canada, UK, Western Europe or other economically advanced countries - where other options exist?

Because if the crew were from the US or Canada a lot of rude passengers would be getting a pie in the face instead of a fake smile. ;p

Seriously, I agree with you. Practically all of these folks are from places that have limited opportunities to dig out of poverty.

Edit: sometimes I hate auto-correct.

I

I always keep the auto tips on. But I only tip extra if the person truly goes above and beyond their usual duties. On my last cruise, the room stewardess did and she got additional money. The steward on the next-to-the-last cruise didn't show up for 24 hrs (and we were in a full suite), then only did the basic cleaning and we never saw him again. He did not get extra.

I agree-- I keep the automatic tips on too-but I do admit to liking the cruises where my perks include free gratuities. My last cruise the steward was awful-- so we did not tip extra. But our cruise before that (also a Celebrity cruise) the steward was wonderful--he knew my name when I arrived--he was opening my cabin door before I could get my room key out-- and mostly sweetly he was able to bring me a bag of the dark chocolate pieces--just for that alone was worth the nice tip I gave him. He was also extremely polite.Well deserved tip!!

Maybe Fishtaco is sitting at tables with others from countries where tipping is not the custom. I've listened to my fair share of criticism about USA tipping customs from folks who are not used to it. I always advise them when visiting the US to make sure to advise their food server in advance that they won't be getting a tip. LOL.