Coffee recommendations for a black coffee drinker!

chemmo

I do love my standard black coffee but with all those amazing concoctions at Cafe el Bachio which others should I try?

Last cruise, after reading rave reviews about Aspen Coffee I tried one and found it far too sweet....I tried another coffee, can’t remember its name, but it was like drinking vanilla custard, yuk! I don’t like creamy coffee or anything too sweet but I do like orange based liqueurs and cognac if that helps with your suggestions....

So what should I try? Open to any suggestions either alcoholic or non alcoholic. Next cruise is on Reflection and I have a premium drinks package if that makes any difference....

Failing your responses I will just have to stick with my usual Americano!

I don't like sweet drinks either and love the Americano but tried the cappuccino one time and now am hooked. Sheer perfection!!

Double espresso , black, works for me. :)

Most people think that’s espresso is too strong. It actually isn’t because you are just extracting the flavor rut of the bean. Espresso also contains less caffeine than a cup of brewed coffee. So an Americano that uses espresso and the same amount of water actually has less caffeine than a cup of brewed coffee.

People also think that brewing with less coffee is better but is isn’t because all you do is extract the bitter part of the bean and that is why they have to load it up with cream and sugar.

Try making another pot reusing the same coffee grounds without adding any more using about 1/2 the amount of water and taste the brew. It is terrible and once you taste it you can always tell that coffee was made with not enough grounds or that they reused the grounds and added more to them. For some reason people think they are being econical by doing that. It guess it is ok for people that don’t appreciate or know what is a great cup of coffee and will always load it up with cream and sugar.

On Celebrity they have been using Lavaza coffee. It is a good brand but there are many different roasts.

Here is one link among many that is about coffee myths

https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/blog/caffeine-myths-espresso-vs-drip

Drink up

Edited by miched

If you really want to mess them up ask for a “Long Black”. It is the way I make it at home. It is basically the same as a Americano but the water is added first and then the espresso. It leaves the crema on top

Oh wow! Thanks for sharing this. I look forward to trying this!

People also think that brewing with less coffee is better but is isn’t because all you do is extract the bitter part of the bean and that is why they have to load it up with cream and sugar.

I use 1 scoop of grinds per cup of water.... But now you have me thinking I should use more? I sometimes find my brewed coffee a bit bitter...

I used to always add cream with my coffee. One day, I decided to try to drink my coffee black. The first few days were awful - tasted like drinking gasoline (well, not like I really know what gasoline tastes like, but you get my point!).... After a few days, I started to taste the coffee much more and started enjoying it more than ever!

So I appreciate your comments and link on coffee myths as I'm always looking for ways to enjoy my cofee more!

Edited by Shadow9612

Wow! I have found out so much....So many drinks to try....

Definitely going to try a ‘Long Black’, a Diablo and an Amore!

Re drinks like Diablo....how much of each spirit do they add? Surely it isn’t a full measure of each spirit/liqueur is it?

Most people think that’s espresso is too strong. It actually isn’t because you are just extracting the flavor rut of the bean. Espresso also contains less caffeine than a cup of brewed coffee. So an Americano that uses espresso and the same amount of water actually has less caffeine than a cup of brewed coffee.

Try making another pot reusing the same coffee grounds without adding any more using about 1/2 the amount of water and taste the brew. It is terrible and once you taste it you can always tell that coffee was made with not enough grounds or that they reused the grounds and added more to them. For some reason people think they are being econical by doing that. It guess it is ok for people that don’t appreciate or know what is a great cup of coffee and will always load it up with cream and sugar.

On Celebrity they have been using Lavaza coffee. It is a good brand but there are many different roasts.

Here is one link among many that is about coffee myths

https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/blog/caffeine-myths-espresso-vs-drip

Drink up

I am a dedicated espresso drinker (or should I say fussy coffee snob!) and I think 99% of coffee bars outside of Italy run their espressos too long - put too much water through - in an effort to make it look like you’re getting your money’s worth, instead of a teeny little thimbleful of coffee. But as you rightly say, too much water through the grounds makes the coffee bitter. I’d much rather have the tiny espresso with the thick crema and the natural sweetness than the long, bitter one that needs two sugars to be drinkable. I struggle to get a short enough espresso from Cafe al Bacio, even if I ask for a ristretto.

Oh wow! Thanks for sharing this. I look forward to trying this!

I use 1 scoop of grinds per cup of water.... But now you have me thinking I should use more? I sometimes find my brewed coffee a bit bitter...

So I appreciate your comments and link on coffee myths as I'm always looking for ways to enjoy my cofee more!

I always weigh the amount of coffee that I use when brewing to be more consistent and el8minate variables.

The other is to try different grinds. The coarseness of the grind also affects the taste. Other is to venture out and try different brands and roasts. You will be surprised at the difference in taste and there is not one that appeals to all. It is like beer, liquor and wine.

Drink up

I thinkit is because they use a prosumer machine that doesn’t allow them to control the length of pull like the manual machines that they use in the finer coffee cafe.

The only control they have is the steam wand. Their grinders are preset for grind and amount dispensed into the portafilter and then the tamping is also done by the grinder instead of by hand.

Next time on board watch what they do.

Starbucks is almost the same except their machines are more like super automatics except for the steam wand. The beans are on the top of the machine and the machine does the grinding, filling the portafilter and tamping. The only thing the employee does is empty the portafilter, and then adds the extras as required. I asked about their machines a few years ago and was told they cost over $35,000.

Drink up

I thinkit is because they use a prosumer machine that doesn’t allow them to control the length of pull like the manual machines that they use in the finer coffee cafe.

The only control they have is the steam wand. Their grinders are preset for grind and amount dispensed into the portafilter and then the tamping is also done by the grinder instead of by hand.

Next time on board watch what they do.

Starbucks is almost the same except their machines are more like super automatics except for the steam wand. The beans are on the top of the machine and the machine does the grinding, filling the portafilter and tamping. The only thing the employee does is empty the portafilter, and then adds the extras as required. I asked about their machines a few years ago and was told they cost over $35,000.

Drink up

That’s really interesting - I thought they had more control of the machines than that. I will watch more closely when I’m on board in May. Do you know if it’s only Cafe al Bacio with an automatic machine, or is it the same for all the coffee machines on board? I have seen such wild variations in the quality of the cappuccino served for the Captain’s Club breakfasts that I assumed a manual machine was involved, in the nearest bar or galley.

Try a Diablo : Black coffee, Sambuca, Cognac, Grand Marnier. Free on the Premium package, $1 on the classic package. About $12 with no package

I'm surprised that it took 30 posts for someone to mention this. I'm a black coffee drinker and just disembarked from Millennium a few days ago after a 14-night cruise and I had at least one of these virtually every day.

That’s really interesting - I thought they had more control of the machines than that. I will watch more closely when I’m on board in May. Do you know if it’s only Cafe al Bacio with an automatic machine, or is it the same for all the coffee machines on board? I have seen such wild variations in the quality of the cappuccino served for the Captain’s Club breakfasts that I assumed a manual machine was involved, in the nearest bar or galley.

That is because they have to manually use the steam wand to froth the milk and make the drink. There is a art of doing it properly and since they are so busy sometimes they don’t have the time to do it. It is like BTS. Give them the recipe and demonstrate how to make a drink. The drinks will still be different depending on the passion and attention to detail when making it.

Drink up

I am a dedicated espresso drinker (or should I say fussy coffee snob!) and I think 99% of coffee bars outside of Italy run their espressos too long - put too much water through - in an effort to make it look like you’re getting your money’s worth, instead of a teeny little thimbleful of coffee. But as you rightly say, too much water through the grounds makes the coffee bitter. I’d much rather have the tiny espresso with the thick crema and the natural sweetness than the long, bitter one that needs two sugars to be drinkable. I struggle to get a short enough espresso from Cafe al Bacio, even if I ask for a ristretto.

Italian espresso is no more than 20ml, Australian espresso is 20-30ml depending on the cafe (mostly 30ml), and American espresso can be up to 60ml. :eek:

Yes, it is hard to get good espresso on cruise ships.

Soooooo looking forward to sipping my first Diablo....two weeks to go!

I promise to share some of my reflections on the Reflection and I will definitely report back on my coffee experiments!

How helpful/skilled are the staff at making/mixing alternatives? For example, if I did pose to them the query I have posted here are they likely to come up with additional suggestions themselves? Indeed knowing how busy they are would it be fair for me to do so?

Italian espresso is no more than 20ml, Australian espresso is 20-30ml depending on the cafe (mostly 30ml), and American espresso can be up to 60ml. :eek:

Yes, it is hard to get good espresso on cruise ships.

I think that explains a lot! Thanks for the info.