Fact: 60,000+ Seaside cruisers in 13 weeks and only a handful of complaints here!

NMsunset

We sailed 3 weeks ago and found most of the noise here on CC forum to be issues that were perceived, non-existent, or wildly exaggerated by a handful folks. Appears they had expected Seaside to be 'like the Walmart cruises they are used to' or never stepped on board...yup just trolls.

Worst smell was a lady, that bathed in perfume from the flea market...sitting 4 rows over from us in MDR...whew!

Seaside has an opera show, one evening.

Majority of the passengers are not USA citizens yet, was told 38% were on our sailing.

They don't load the food with SALT, plus they have dishes other than beef and potatoes.

The buffet is about flavor and quality, not huge choices, not in steam tables the size of a football field like typical USA feed troughs. Croissants not biscuits, baked swordfish not catfish...you get the picture. MDR and Butchers Cut exceeded what we know to be 'typical'.

We were 1st time on Seaside, we preferred the differences from the 'regular CLs ' departing US ports.

Are we exclusive to MSC, No...will we continue to spend our dollars on a variety of vacay providers, Yes.

We already have booked Seaside again this year.

Yeah, it's that good, is it for everyone...Lol what is?

Math speaks truth, only a few negatives in the forums or reviews...60,000+ folks have sailed in 12+ weeks, nuff said.

Cheers, enjoy the CL of your choice!

You have made some very valid points . But it comes down to a cruise ( or any vacation really ) is what you make of it . If you want to find fault and complain , I am certain you will find something not to your liking . It's all about attitude !

Thank you! I’m glad to see more positive reviews of the Seasde as of late. We are looking forward to our sailing in September.

As with almost anything online, people are more likely to post when something goes wrong than when things go right. So this ends up skewing the balance.

Love your attitude..... Can some things be done better or be improved?? Most certainly!! Are things so awful you would never set foot on this ship?? Based on what I've been reading .....even considering the most blatant negative feedback..... No where close to even considering not sailing on the Seaside!!

Lol this is a great thread. We have sailed Divina twice. Sailing Seaside next year and have persuaded a couple of friends to come along for the ride. (First cruise for them).

Are we worried about all the negativity. No. You will always find some that love to complain. Me? i dont sweat the small stuff and embrace all the new opportunities.

As for the smell?? We came across possibly something similar if posts are to be believed at our holiday villa in Tuscany a couple of years ago. Coincidentally with the same friends (their first time in Europe). When they remarked on it we said "ah yes the jasmine".....:p and its become a joke ever since. If we smell the"jasmine" on Seaside im sure it too will provide more laughter and a good excuse to order another cocktail.

Life is short - cruise it :)

The problem with any internet forum or review website is that it is almost always a relatively small sample size and not always representative.

Thus far the comments on here, both positive and negative come from a significantly small portion of less tgan 1% of travelers.

If you are trying to say that the negative comments on here are useless because of the sample size we can say the exact same thing about the positive comments. There have been 60,000+ travelers but so few positive reviews.

The problem with any internet forum or review website is that it is almost always a relatively small sample size and not always representative.

Thus far the comments on here, both positive and negative come from a significantly small portion of less tgan 1% of travelers.

If you are trying to say that the negative comments on here are useless because of the sample size we can say the exact same thing about the positive comments. There have been 60,000+ travelers but so few positive reviews.

Its normal to have more negative than positive reviews.... its just a fact of life. But I do disagree about your comment on so few positive reviews....I think in the past 3 weeks there have been many more positive reviews/feedback than negative. Again...just a small sample size but its encouraging to see more positive feedback

Its normal to have more negative than positive reviews.... its just a fact of life. But I do disagree about your comment on so few positive reviews....I think in the past 3 weeks there have been many more positive reviews/feedback than negative. Again...just a small sample size but its encouraging to see more positive feedback

If you read a review for something or maybe go on Trip****, which reviews do you read first? Bet it’s the negatives! (I don’t mean you I mean most people).

It’s the way people are.

Google “Michael McIntyre Tripadvisor and Holidays” its very funny

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, I wouldn’t mind if YC still stays an undiscovered treasure... [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, too late...

The secret is out. I think that the biggest reason for that is the superhigh prices NCL charge for their Haven now.

Sorry, too late...

The secret is out. I think that the biggest reason for that is the superhigh prices NCL charge for their Haven now.

Sorry to disagree with you but it is Status match that is to blame mostly and then the high prices of NCL.

Calgary ... You have to remember that outside of North America only a small percentage of people have heard of Cruise Critic in the same way that only a small percentage of North Americans have heard or know of MSC. Many of those from N.A who have, think they are new to the market there despite having been sailing from FLL since around 2006.

As you say the number of comments as a percentage good or bad are very low compared to the number who have already sailed on Seaside. At a guess I would say 75% of those who disliked the ship and MSC were likely first time cruisers and those who expected everything to be the same as the other cruise lines.

Sorry to disagree with you but it is Status match that is to blame mostly and then the high prices of NCL.

I know for fact that some people have found the Yacht Club because of the high prices for NCLs Haven, since that's the reason why we tried the Yacht Club.

Lots of people probably try MSC because of the status match but I don't know if many of them book the Yacht Club.

If I didn't booked suites on NCL I should probably not book the Yacht Club only because of the status match.

Hello Cal HHR-

I get your line of thought on 'review websites' and I appreciate your thoughtful reply.

You are correct that all the posts on CC amount to a drop in the bucket compared to total Seaside cruisers in just her 1st few weeks.

What's key is to keep in mind are the 60,000+ who have spent >$500 each (most >$1,000 all in w/airfare and add ons).

Wallets speak LOUDLY...those are the most valuable reviews and the results are bankable!

I would bet there are as many on CC that have already rebooked (or have multiple bookings) on Seaside, as there are the few '1 and done' folks that wanted a walmart/cookie cutter cruise.

Several on this website and others, made many claims of MSC's doom; as it did not meet their expectations of being another 'walmart usa CL'....Lol.

Seaside/MSC set the bar high and it appears that in a few years the cruise industry could have a change similar to the auto industry with the arrival of Japanese and Korean makers. Who saw Amazon as a threat to walmart in the late 90's?

Change, like the tides, keeps the harbor clean:)

Cheers, enjoy the cruise of your choice!

I know for fact that some people have found the Yacht Club because of the high prices for NCLs Haven, since that's the reason why we tried the Yacht Club.

Lots of people probably try MSC because of the status match but I don't know if many of them book the Yacht Club.

If I didn't booked suites on NCL I should probably not book the Yacht Club only because of the status match.

Yep same for me. We did 2 cruises on NCL in suite/Haven but Hvane has become too expensive for us so we decided to try YC for our next cruise.

Calgary ... You have to remember that outside of North America only a small percentage of people have heard of Cruise Critic in the same way that only a small percentage of North Americans have heard or know of MSC. Many of those from N.A who have, think they are new to the market there despite having been sailing from FLL since around 2006.

As you say the number of comments as a percentage good or bad are very low compared to the number who have already sailed on Seaside. At a guess I would say 75% of those who disliked the ship and MSC were likely first time cruisers and those who expected everything to be the same as the other cruise lines.

I just hope those who dislike MSC will stop cruising with them and will stop attending this Board :rolleyes:

Cruises are just like everything else in life...Subject to personal preferences. If people didn't like different things, we wouldn't have choices in life. Some people like to save a buck and shop and Wal-Mart because the most important thing to them is the cost. Others prefer the shopping experience and are willing to pay more to shop at Publix for groceries, Macy's for clothing, and Home Depot for hardware, instead of accomplishing it all in one trip. Some people want to drive a Lexus for the comfort and status, others prefer a Ford Fiesta for the functionality and cost efficiency. It all comes down to taste, and not everything is for everyone.

I was one of the early Seaside reviewers, from the inaugural sailing. My review was self-admittedly mostly negative, based on what I had experienced. I did have many positives in there as well, and overall, we did have a great time because we made it a great time. I also have 2 more cruises booked on the Seaside, and am using what I learned my preferences are on the initial Seaside sailing to change the way I am doing it and improve the experience for myself. We needed more cabin and storage space, and wanted a hot tub that can actually be hot. So we booked Aurea whirlpool suites. We wanted anytime dining, so we booked Aurea. Some may not have the flexibility to do so, and for those, I would advise then choosing something that is more to your taste. As a travel agent, I recommend to my clients the best options for their tastes. I do not try to sell them what will be best for my pocket, I have serious conversations with them about their likes and dislikes, preferences vs requirements, etc., and set them up with the best option for them. I have experienced almost every mainstream cruise line, and know what to expect from each one when it comes to food, service, cabins, etc. My clients are very happy with the personal service and understand what they are getting or sacrificing based on their choice. The expectations are set going in, and that is how every person needs to travel in order to be happy. Nobody is going to love every aspect of the cruise, but for all the reviews that say the cruise ruined their life (ok maybe a little exaggeration), I bet if they reflect on the 7 nights they will find many positives that they pushed to the back of their mind in order to complain about all the negatives.

As far as the sewer smell,. my wife and MIL went on a 4 night RCCL cruise on the Majesty a couple of years ago. The smell was so bad right outside of their cabin, they had to hold their breath walking down the hallway. They brought it up to guest services, and the solution they had was to scrub down the sewer pipes with bleach and spray air freshener. Needless to say, that only made the problem worse. It was never resolved during the cruise, and they had no clue what was causing it. When you have a ship with such a complicated plumbing system, there are bound to be smells and issues, no matter if it is new or old, big or small. As they say sh!t happens, especially on a cruise ship with all that food. I personally never smelled anything on the Seaside that I didn't smell on other ships (yes we did notice an unpleasant odor by the kids pool area bathrooms, but that was explained in our eyes by the huge log someone left in the toilet). We were all over that ship exploring on the inaugural, and the sewer smell never stood out.

Everybody has their own perspective on everything in life, and when it comes down to it, you just need to do what is best for you based on what your preferences are. Ok..enough rant.

Hi CCers-

Want to be clear, my using walmart is not a slur...walmart was the nationwide retail leader serving the most customers and generating the most revenue. Before walmart it was kmart and sears...I see similarities between msc and amazon in the NA cruise industry 'market disruption'.

I like competition and am encouraged by the various lines bringing more options to cruisers.

Slei15: you seem to be setting your clients up for success, matching their needs/wants with the right cruise...Cheers to that!

Never had a bad sunset on land nor sea, enjoy!

Just off the Seaside and here are some of the great things we liked.

We did the loyality match and for our free meal we went to the Butcher's cut for lunch, it was probably the best lunch in a specialty restaurant we have ever had. The meat was excellent.

The shows in the theatre were all great, lots of different things happening in every show and a huge cast of dancers, singers etc. The lead singer had a beautiful voice. We never missed a show.

You can take the elevator to deck 6 to enter the theatre and not have to walk down all the stairs to get to the front area of the theatre. The first row is reserved for Handicapped. We found the seats to be comfortable and lots of leg room in theatre anywhere we sat.

All the buffet staff looked clean and uniforms well pressed. We found a good selection of food in buffet for breakfast. the only time we went to the buffet.

The elevators are fast and frequent. But watch the doors close quickly.

Captain Massa was the best Captain that we have ever had and so friendly.

the CC party was certainly the best party on any ships we have been on. All the tables had strawberries dipped in Choco. small shrimp on crackers, potato chips, and lots of various drinks and of course the beautiful cake and delivered to our room(free) was a photo taken of the group with Captain and senior officers.

Lots has been said about YC and yes that is where we mostly hung out.

Arthur was our favourite waiter, followed by Philip they were fast and efficient.

there was never a shortage of pool loungers and you could have one set up in the shade just ask for it and the pool attendants will do it for you.

Never had food at the pool cooked on grills that included salmon, lamb chops, beef, salads deserts all while you are enjoying the pool area. Of course any kind of drink that you wanted.

the only negative part of the week was the screaming child we had to put up with. We had lots of other little ones but their parents spoke to them and they behaved or else they were just taken from the lounge or restaurant by parents.

Seaside is a beautiful ship with lots of space for drinks, talking, watching what is going on.

We had a great time on Seaside and met lots of interesting people.

Love your attitude..... Can some things be done better or be improved?? Most certainly!! Are things so awful you would never set foot on this ship?? Based on what I've been reading .....even considering the most blatant negative feedback..... No where close to even considering not sailing on the Seaside!!

You mirror exactly the way that I approach cruising. I committed to cruising the seaside even after reading the negative reviews and looking at the overall ratings (it was at 2 stars when I reserved). There is only one way to know if you will like a cruise, go on the freakin thing and decide for yourself! I love coming to CC to gather information about future cruises, therefore I read all the reviews, positive and negative. I do notice that there are some people on here that claim to has the insight to judge other member's reviews based on their own perception of what is valid vs not.

What I like to do, is go on the cruise and enjoy myself. I always enjoy myself. I have my family, I am not at work, I am traveling to new and exciting places, what is not to love. BUT, I do like to ask myself a question about a week or two after the cruise. Would I go on that ship again? Would I forgo an opportunity to try something new or different to repeat the experience of that particular cruise ship? To me, that is the only review and perception that matters.

You mirror exactly the way that I approach cruising. I committed to cruising the seaside even after reading the negative reviews and looking at the overall ratings (it was at 2 stars when I reserved). There is only one way to know if you will like a cruise, go on the freakin thing and decide for yourself! I love coming to CC to gather information about future cruises, therefore I read all the reviews, positive and negative. I do notice that there are some people on here that claim to has the insight to judge other member's reviews based on their own perception of what is valid vs not.

What I like to do, is go on the cruise and enjoy myself. I always enjoy myself. I have my family, I am not at work, I am traveling to new and exciting places, what is not to love. BUT, I do like to ask myself a question about a week or two after the cruise. Would I go on that ship again? Would I forgo an opportunity to try something new or different to repeat the experience of that particular cruise ship? To me, that is the only review and perception that matters.

Your last paragraph sums it all up perfectly..... Try it, observe, compare, repeat again or move on!!!