New "trial?" MDR menus Ruby 3-31-18 sailing

land lover

Just got off the Ruby this morning, remembered someone asked for pic's of the new menu...

Food was great, pastas were watered down first few times but still good, bread and butter/spreads SUCKED was the general vast response. They will still give you regular butter but very sparingly...

Word on ship was this is a test run for the new menu, 4-5 corporate chefs on board to iron our issues, again, for the most-part food was great.

Thanks for posting! You were on a 10 day cruise. Do you have others?

Strange that the breads sucked. That is typically a strong point.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Strange that the breads sucked. That is typically a strong point.

That’s disappointing because the different nightly bread & butter was one of the things I looked forward to trying. I also like the different nightly preparations for the Princess Favorites...salmon, chicken & burger...did you try any?

That’s disappointing because the different nightly bread & butter was one of the things I looked forward to trying. I also like the different nightly preparations for the Princess Favorites...salmon, chicken & burger...did you try any?

Yes, how I felt with the bread also, breadsticks are gone. You can try and ask for them but hit and miss, mostly miss...

Salmon and chicken were exceptional, not dry as it's so often been

I am hoping the breads and butter comes back as everyone complained. Again, we were told this was a trial thing but they are pretty heavily invested in it.

Thank you for posting the menu and giving your thoughts.

Hopefully Princess doesn't make large price changes to the Crown Grill now that they are adding the steaks for a fee to the MDR.

Whoops...

Your welcome.

The Crown has raised prices past few years, quality is down heard nothing but complaints. I personally think a few years the Crown Grill will be history. We had a Captain a year or so back seem to believe it was waisted space...

Last 2 times for us, meat was very tough. Did not see anyone order Crown Grill in dining room.

Whoops...

Your welcome.

The Crown has raised prices past few years, quality is down heard nothing but complaints. I personally think a few years the Crown Grill will be history. We had a Captain a year or so back seem to believe it was waisted space...

Very funny...so true.

For us, the CG is not a wasted space;p, but it is very bad for your waist.

I apologize in advance for the quality of some of the pictures!

We did get pictures of 2 dessert menus, and all but the first night's dinner. But unfortunately forgot to get pictures of the lunch menus, when that was offered on sea days.

We enjoyed having different bread & butter offered each evening (types included in the menu), and regular butter was always provided upon request.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskwh7hsc

Looks like the fancy hamburger has disappeared from the menu and sliced turkey breast has replaced it.

The menus posted earlier in this thread showed the fancy burger & the nightly preparation varied like for the salmon & chicken Princess Favorites entrées.

Since the first 2 sailings with the change were only 7 days and yours was a 10.......did your last 3 MDR menus have repeats from past menus or did you notice? Glad you enjoyed the food thanks, for posting the menu. I see you posted the one with chic & waffles did you try it?

MDR open inform dinner at 430?????? That's taking the Early Bird Special to a whole new level!

Often I struggle to have lunch earlier than 3-3:30pm......

Ummm, recently I complained about them changing your dining time onboard, from 6 to 5:30. I felt it was a tad early, but several posters nearly took my head off, saying they liked eating early. To each his own, but I dont think they should do it without your permission. And, at great risk to my personal safety, I think 4:30 for dinner is nuts. Maybe they are hoping to get you to eat two meals a day instead of three.

Ummm, recently I complained about them changing your dining time onboard, from 6 to 5:30. I felt it was a tad early, but several posters nearly took my head off, saying they liked eating early. To each his own, but I dont think they should do it without your permission. And, at great risk to my personal safety, I think 4:30 for dinner is nuts. Maybe they are hoping to get you to eat two meals a day instead of three.

You sit when you want, the 4:30 time made the whole night flow better, No lines all night...

I have a quick question. I read on here a few people stating that they ordered wine at Vines but they didn't have the Tapas anymore. What are the Tapas and have they eliminated them?? Thanks- Linda

None offered on my April 1, Regal Princess. Didn't ask for any either.

None offered on my April 1, Regal Princess. Didn't ask for any either.

we had the tapas on our Regal cruise 3/19 - 3/25...

no problem, except sometimes it did take awhile...

but we were in there at least for one glass of wine pretty sure every night...

I have a quick question. I read on here a few people stating that they ordered wine at Vines but they didn't have the Tapas anymore. What are the Tapas and have they eliminated them?? Thanks- Linda

I'm going from memory, here, but my recollection from last November is that the Vines Tapas were pretty pedestrian. A small dish with one or two slices of salame (or whatever the Spanish equivalent is), a couple slices of cheese (same as what is offered at the buffet) and a couple olives,

My wife ordered the Sushi and she seemed to like it.

I have participated in the Vines Stammtisch several times and the tapas offered with that are substantially better. I can recall having things like shrimp, marinated chicken wings, and little ground lamb meatballs. As I believe I've already posted above, they did not have any Stammtisch events on our last two cruises.

I got off the Ruby yesterday. Absolutely loved the pasta dishes, old and new. Salmon was very good prepared different ways. I thought the bread was fine and enjoyed the variety but no one seemed all that thrilled with the spreads as everyone asked for butter.

Since the first 2 sailings with the change were only 7 days and yours was a 10.......did your last 3 MDR menus have repeats from past menus or did you notice? Glad you enjoyed the food thanks, for posting the menu. I see you posted the one with chic & waffles did you try it?
In the past it has been posted that Princess has around thirty menus. Entrees may be repeated on another menu but often with a different preparation. The longest cruise we have been on has been 14 days and there were not repeats. That being said, if a cruise can be booked as a two 7 day cruises or a 14 day cruise then the menus will repeat on each 7 day portion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

plural noun: tapas

1. small Spanish savory dishes, typically served with drinks at a bar.

Duh... I know what the word means!

I wanted to know what they specifically offered.

My question has already and kindly been answered.

Thanks anyway

Linda

Edited by ttiger1968