Another kid question

charw20

I have 2 boys, ages 11 and 12. We will be sailing on Carnival Fasnination. My question is what age do you think is okay to let the boys roam the ship on their own? They probably won't go to camp carnival cause they would have to be split because of their age.

I would encourage them to at least try camp carnival. Yes, they will be in different age groups, but aren't they in different grades at home? Do they ALWAYS hang out together or do they have seperate friends? Give them each the chance to try and make seperate friends on the cruise. My parents never made us stay together just because we would be split up into different age groups on vacation or at vacation bible school, etc. We all made our own set of friends and made our own special memories. And yes, we all had together time on vacations and made family memories too.

And to answer your question, I would let them go (together) to the buffet or ice cream machines by themselves as long as you know they are coming right back. Or depending on their maturity I would let them go to the basketball or sports court for an hour, but then they had to come back to where you (the 'rents) are. And to make sure your kids are doing what you say, I would do spot checks on them to make sure they are where they said they would be. Trust has to be earned.

I think this is a personal decision which none of us can answer for you.

Remember while a ship is a confined area it is always a good idea to have a lot of rules and to ensure that the children do not get into mischievous or trouble.

At those ages we still had our children in the children's programs.

Keith

I would let them go to the orientation, sign up. and go over the activity sheets.

the 9-11 is the best camps in the fleet with scavenger hunts.

the 12-14 years old tend to hang out together.

Going to their respective orientation and meet and greets they can meet other kids their own ages.

the 12-14 group you will see hanging eating pizza, playing cards, sitting in hot tubs.

if going during an off season- your 12 year old maybe be able to move down in the groups - all you need to do is ask

Well consider this....

On some ships are unisex public bathrooms with the entry door which locks but few folks lock that door.

A number of times, I have seen children (and other adults) enter and then an adult enter who was unaware the bathroom was occupied.

The second adult backs out quickly,when they realize someone else is in there, mumbling an apology.

Kids do not.

Pretty easy for a perv to wait and watch.

Depending on the number of kids on the ship it may be possible to move the 11 year old up to the group with the 12 year old. It can't hurt to ask. We were able to move our younger one up into the next age bracket on another line to be with his older brother when we asked. They gave us a "trial" period when we asked at the kids club. Worse thing they can say is "no", right?

I have 2 boys, ages 11 and 12. We will be sailing on Carnival Fasnination. My question is what age do you think is okay to let the boys roam the ship on their own? They probably won't go to camp carnival cause they would have to be split because of their age.

Guess you would call me over protective, but I could never let my 11/12 yr olds loose among 2,000-3,000 "strangers".........

Not trying to be critical at all, just giving my thoughts....

Depending on the number of kids on the ship it may be possible to move the 11 year old up to the group with the 12 year old. It can't hurt to ask. We were able to move our younger one up into the next age bracket on another line to be with his older brother when we asked. They gave us a "trial" period when we asked at the kids club. Worse thing they can say is "no", right?

On carnival it is very rare for a kid to move up in the programing. Its easier to move down,.. with the 12 year old moving down to the 9-11.

if a kid is within weeks of a birthday that could be an exception.

I doubt very much that the counselor will move an 11 year up to the 12-14.

That is too much of an age difference there.

I wouldn't allow them to "roam"...but I would allow them to come and go to and from specific areas for specific reasons....like if you're at the pool and they want to get an ice cream....I'd allow them to do that. Or, go to the arcade, but then physically check in with me when they're done.

I would never just let them roam aimlessly...that's trouble waiting to happen!

On carnival it is very rare for a kid to move up in the programing. Its easier to move down,.. with the 12 year old moving down to the 9-11.

if a kid is within weeks of a birthday that could be an exception.

I doubt very much that the counselor will move an 11 year up to the 12-14.

That is too much of an age difference there.

Possibly, but it never hurts to ask. In our case our younger one is regularly in classes a grade level up from where he should be and currently is in middle school but taking classes at both the middle school and the high school. He is used to being with older students.

There's no doubt that 11 and 12 year olds are capable of independent thought and action. By age 10, I was travelling alone to school 15 miles away on public transport, and it wasn't exceptional.

My brothers' first trip abroad was to Denmark when they were 14 and 13. They were put on the ship at one end, and were met at the other 18 hours later (overnight ferry). No adult presence at all - they managed. Obviously people are more protective nowadays and it depends how much independence the children have been allowed before. But the ship's a pretty safe environment, soa good place to learn independence, hopefully at an age before teenage rebellion.

Cruise ships have unsavory characters on board so it's not necessarily a safe environment. Kids get assaulted by weirdos on cruise ships and although it may not be on every ship, do you want to take a chance? Also, there will be other kids on the ship, and if your kids start hanging around with one bad apple, things could ensue. I just don't think giving pre-teens carte blanche on a ship is a good idea, especially in the evening.

It really depends on the kid. (and where you are living)

Here is the big city you have kids that are as young as 7-8 years old traveling the public transit system with younger siblings (yes, i shudder when i see them(

Not a parent, just a person who experienced childhood, and I would allow them freedom to explore the ship as they wish. The kids club would be ok if they liked it, but would understand if they objected to the 9-11 and 12-14 scheme.

I know it's best to be careful, and I would discuss that with them, believing that they can watch out for each other. This talk here of perverts in the restrooms and not trusting people on the ship creeps me out. If I believed that, i wouldn't take a cruise. Care and discretion will work.

Archived