Check-in time..set in stone?

blaken09

Hello fellow cruisers! I searched the boards and couldn't find an answer to my question. I haven't sailed Carnival in many years. If my check-in time is 12:30 is there any chance of embarking earlier than that? My most recent cruises have been RCCL and we have been able to board the ship as soon as we completed our check-in. Does CCL still do the cattle boarding where you sit in a holding area waiting for your cattle call?

Set in stone really. At my cruise in Jacksonville in March they were not even letting people park. They had a steady stream of people being turned away at around 11am. Check your boarding pass, not time, please exit and return when time.

Hello fellow cruisers! I searched the boards and couldn't find an answer to my question. I haven't sailed Carnival in many years. If my check-in time is 12:30 is there any chance of embarking earlier than that? My most recent cruises have been RCCL and we have been able to board the ship as soon as we completed our check-in. Does CCL still do the cattle boarding where you sit in a holding area waiting for your cattle call?

As others mention, the check-in time you select is firm. The exception is the high loyalty passengers (Diamond, Platinum), suite guests and those that purchased FTTF - those folks can board as early as they want.

How do they determine check in times? Is it by floor or cabin type or the earlier you book??

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

There is no particular method to it - I'm guessing that as slots fill, they make them unavailable. Your "arrival appointment" time is in 30 minute increments usually beginning at 11:30AM. When you go to pick your arrival time online, there is a drop-down menu of those 30 minute increments and people chose the one that works for them based on personal plans. The ability to pick that appointment has recently changed to where no one can do it prior to 90 days out.

As others mention, the check-in time you select is firm. The exception is the high loyalty passengers (Diamond, Platinum), suite guests and those that purchased FTTF - those folks can board as early as they want.

To clarify, the Arrival Appointment times are when passengers can enter the port building to check it. They have nothing to do with embarkation, which begins after the ship is cleared of all the passengers and by customs.

To clarify, the Arrival Appointment times are when passengers can enter the port building to check it. They have nothing to do with embarkation, which begins after the ship is cleared of all the passengers and by customs.

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted the comment but was too lazy to edit the comment and clarify. Thanks for qualifying it - I'm usually more conscientious than that. :(

Edited by joepeka

Check in time has nothing to do with embarkation time.

I understand your point, but there is a direct correlation between your arrival appointment and your embarkation time. The earlier your arrival appointment is, the earlier you will board the ship.

Carnival is getting people on the ship earlier and earlier. For my last half-dozen cruises, the latest I have boarded the ship is 11:15 AM (sailing out of Miami or Canaveral). From talking to people we meet on every cruise, a lot have said it was a non-stop process from the time they got to the port to the time they got on the ship. So although the new processes don’t impact me, it appears the staggered arrival appointments is drastically improving the boarding process, which is why I don’t agree with saying arrival appointments have nothing to do with embarkation times.

I understand your point, but there is a direct correlation between your arrival appointment and your embarkation time. The earlier your arrival appointment is, the earlier you will board the ship.

Carnival is getting people on the ship earlier and earlier. For my last half-dozen cruises, the latest I have boarded the ship is 11:15 AM (sailing out of Miami or Canaveral). From talking to people we meet on every cruise, a lot have said it was a non-stop process from the time they got to the port to the time they got on the ship. So although the new processes don’t impact me, it appears the staggered arrival appointments is drastically improving the boarding process, which is why I don’t agree with saying arrival appointments have nothing to do with embarkation times.

I understand your thinking but it is confusing for some people as they think that check in time is their boarding time and then are frustrated if they have to wait.

Pat

I understand your thinking but it is confusing for some people as they think that check in time is their boarding time and then are frustrated if they have to wait.

Pat

Good point. I guess the point to emphasize is if your arrival appointment is 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM, for example, that doesn’t mean you will board the ship during that 30 minute window.

The way it worked when I cruised on the Vista is that they were very strict with the appointment times. By the time I dropped off my luggage and got to the line, I was a few minutes later than my appointment time and they sent me to the early/late arrival line. While going through that line, they gave me a card with a boarding number on it. Once I checked in, I went to a waiting area and was allowed to board the ship when my boarding number was called.

My experience in May in Miami ( Vista).

1) Arrived at 10:30 for 11:30 check in.

2) Went to early/late line.

3) Walked straight through to check in rep.

4) Scanned Boarding Passes , received Boarding #

5) Put personal items/carry through security

6) Waited in boarding area

Note: They weren't busy at all, we were willing to wait if turned away, and did as Carnival's procedure is set up ( going in appropriate line) early/late.

It may change from week to week, for us it worked.

Thanks for the responses. I am aware check-in and embarkation are two different things. Not my first rodeo. Hence my question about being able to embark anytime before 12:30 if I were to try (and successfully) check in earlier than that. RCCL also has staggered start times and they are super efficient with checking you in and letting you embark once you are done regardless of the window of time you've been given.

My experience in May in Miami ( Vista).

1) Arrived at 10:30 for 11:30 check in.

2) Went to early/late line.

3) Walked straight through to check in rep.

4) Scanned Boarding Passes , received Boarding #

5) Put personal items/carry through security

6) Waited in boarding area

Note: They weren't busy at all, we were willing to wait if turned away, and did as Carnival's procedure is set up ( going in appropriate line) early/late.

It may change from week to week, for us it worked.

thanks for the detailed description! Really helps :)

When we sailed out of New Orleans we arrived early. We were going to drop our bags off then walk around the mall for a bit. They told us we could go into the terminal if we wanted. We decided not to but the people at the port didn't really care what your check in time was.