Stonehenge anyone?

good morning, we are trying to decide if the Stonehenge excursion is worth it, or should we just stay in Southampton. Has anyone been on this excursion ? If so how close can you actually get to the stones? We will be on Konigsdam and in Southampton on Sept 18. I did try to use the search, but it just gave me photos:( thanks in advance

I did this a couple of years ago. I found it interesting and our tour guide was very informative especially on the ride over. I can't remember where we docked but it was NOT Southampton. It was about a 2 hour bus ride. You do not get very close to the stones - I'm not good at distance. There was an audio tour. I'm glad I went even to just say I'd been there.

We just did this in October 2018. We felt that Stonehenge was well worth the visit. There is a walking path around the stones with many interesting facts posted on signs. We had a very good tour guide who knew how to balance giving information and guiding and letting folks wander around on their on and at their own pace so it was very enjoyable. You get quite close to the stones, but cannot walk among them for fear of damage. We actually enjoyed it more than we expected as it was quite well organized and the number of visitors was well controlled so everyone got to enjoy the experience.

We did a tour that combined a visit to Stonehenge with a visit to the town of Salisbury. We were very glad that we did as Salisbury was charming and we got to see one of the only remaining copies of the Magna Carta and the stunning cathedral. That difference in cost for the tours was not that great but well worth it.

In 1978, when I was not old as dirt but younger than springtime, my mother and I drove around England without getting lost too many times. We did find Stonehenge, and as KK mentions above, we were able to actually wander close enough to the stones to touch them. There were not very many people around. It was an almost eerie experience, one I recall all these years later. That freedom to wander among the stones changed with the massive influx of tourism, and the obvious deterioration that comes when too many people come into contact with historical monuments.

Recently, I watched and amazin g, very detailed show re: sTo nehenge and the studying being done a about it. What they are learning is fascinating. if you have the chance to view it on Smithsonian channel, try to do so.

A few years ago we did a tour out of London that included Stonehenge, Salisbury AND Bath. Too much for one long day--but a great opportunity to at least get a taste of three fascinating places. As others have explained--visitors to Stonehenge are now restricted to a walkway that circles the stones. But you get a good close look and that chills-down-the-spine feeling of being in such an iconic spot.

I so strongly urge anyone who will visit Stonehenge to view the Smithsonian show. Wha t science of today has been able to teach the researchers about that wonder is fascinaing and dratgically changes what was previously believed'.

We've done it in 2016 and really liked Stonehenge. We took the audiotour and when you follow the tour as mentioned, you get a lot of information. We also visited the visitorcentre for additional information.

We also combined it with Salisbury, al nice small town with a great cathedral.

We also visited last year and found it worth the 2hr bus ride. The museum on the property that you can walk through was very good and we wished after viewing Stonehenge that we would have gone thru the museum first.

We did the tour out of Southampton and thoroughly enjoyed our tour of Stonehenge as we hadn’t been there since 1979 (the year they moved the walk around the stones farther away). At that time, there was no visitors center or tractor trailer that took tourists to see the stones.

It was 2016 when we did the tour out of Southampton, we had a fantastic guide and a wonderful day at Stonehenge. We were given headset which had a guided tour. We were able to listen to all the commentary as we made our way around the circle. It is at the beginning and the end that you are the closest to the rocks. Close enough for a photo of yourself and the stone circle. For individual rocks, you would have to zoom.

There is also replicas of the huts the people lived in. And a block of stone that you can try pulling to see how heavy the stones are.

We also took a tour to Salisbury and Stonehenge using the group “London Walks” which have “great escapes” out of the city. You pay for your train ride and a bus picks you up in Salisbury. You have a morning tour of Salisbury Cathedral and break to get your own lunch and then the afternoon tour of Stonehenge. Very reasonable price for a whole day outing.

I so strongly urge anyone who will visit Stonehenge to view the Smithsonian show. Wha t science of today has been able to teach the researchers about that wonder is fascinaing and dratgically changes what was previously believed'.

I think ive seen that show, or one similar to it. It sounds like a great day. I think I’m convinced.

I booked a private tour from Southampton to Salisbury and Stonehenge for this June with Chris of Southampton Stonehenge Tours. He has a Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor, has a very informative website and is very prompt in answering emails.

We attended this place on the bus tour from Southampton to London after debarkation. It was a part of a trip Salisbury, Stonehenge, Windsor. All places were wonderful, but if I had to pick one it would be Windsor.

If I had a port call in Southampton, I would certainly not spend the day there. You are just too close to Stonehenge and Salisbury to pass them up, and you should be able to see both in one day. As several others have suggested, Salisbury is well worth a visit. The town is charming, the Cathedral is beautiful, and you get to see (the) Magna Carta as well. (The British don't say "the" :D). It's reportedly the best of the four surviving orginal copies, and it's pretty amazing to stand in front of it. (We had a fabulous docent there; I think she had been present at the signing.)

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

In 1978, when I was not old as dirt but younger than springtime, my mother and I drove around England without getting lost too many times. We did find Stonehenge, and as KK mentions above, we were able to actually wander close enough to the stones to touch them. There were not very many people around. It was an almost eerie experience, one I recall all these years later. That freedom to wander among the stones changed with the massive influx of tourism, and the obvious deterioration that comes when too many people come into contact with historical monuments.

I was there 10 years before that --back "when dirt was young"-- and found it

... mildly interesting. Guess I'm less sensitive than OADM. :rolleyes:

Today, the sad fact is that you'll get a better view on TV, unless you sign up for

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/plan-your-visit/stone-circle-access-visits/,

which offers only about 2,000 early-morning/late-evening, off-hours visitors per

year in groups of 30.

PS: You might want to investigate the Avebury stone circle about 40mi to the N.

If I had a port call in Southampton, I would certainly not spend the day there. You are just too close to Stonehenge and Salisbury to pass them up, and you should be able to see both in one day. As several others have suggested, Salisbury is well worth a visit. The town is charming, the Cathedral is beautiful, and you get to see (the) Magna Carta as well. (The British don't say "the" :D). It's reportedly the best of the four surviving orginal copies, and it's pretty amazing to stand in front of it. (We had a fabulous docent there; I think she had been present at the signing.)

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

With a day in Southampton, the Stonehenge/Salisbury tour is the best use of your time. Even though you cannot any more get up close to the megaliths at Stonehenge it remains a great experience. Salisbury is an attractive town - but the medieval cathedral is the best opportunity - because it stands alone on a grassy area, it is unlike virtually all others, which are surrounded by buildings - truly the finest way to see such a building.

Imagine actually viewing original Magna Carta Wish we had sailed from to South hampton but we never did. I feel blessed for all we got to see and do. So many people, hardly leave their home towns. if they took th t first

trip' most would want more. So much to see in our big world.

Imagine actually viewing original Magna Carta Wish we had sailed from to South hampton but we never did. I feel blessed for all we got to see and do. So many people, hardly leave their home towns. if they took th t first

trip' most would want more. So much to see in our big world.

Yes, so much to see. I can’t imagine not wanting to leave my area and see the rest of the world.

I’m convinced. We are going to Stonehenge. Hopefully we can stop in Salisbury, though I don’t recall seeing that mentioned in the description on the website.

Glad to see no one is advising skipping out on the opportunity altogether. Many people think Stonehenge is a bit of a oetdown upon actually encountering it (but I like the way it pops into view as you crest the hill driving west on the A303) but being in Southampton and not at least assing by Stonehenge is a it like being in Cairo and not getting out to see the pyramids.

Since I enjoy motoring about the countryside a bit I'd be more likely to rent a car for the day and make the short extension to Avebury as well as Stonehenge. You can actually wander among Avebury's stones, and in fact a village has long existed among Avebury's larger circle.

We did Stonehenge in the 70s. We were based in London, but spent a week in the Salisbury area. Loved the cathedral almost as much as Stonehenge. We also got to see West Kenneth Long Barrow and Avebury. I think there’s Old Sarum in the area as well.

Stonehenge was fenced off. My parents visited it a year before, before they added the fences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, so much to see. I can’t imagine not wanting to leave my area and see the rest of the world.

I’m convinced. We are going to Stonehenge. Hopefully we can stop in Salisbury, though I don’t recall seeing that mentioned in the description on the website.

Perhaps you can call and check into this, or book a tour that certainly includes both. There's not a day's worth to see in Stonehenge.