Lhr train to london

shofer

We are planning our first trip to London before a TA cruise in November. What is the difference between taking the train or the bus besides cost? Should we purchase tickets in advance? What do we do with our luggage on the train?

We are staying at The Grovesner in Victoria so getting to the hotel is not a problem. Just wondering which would be better.

Thanks

Sue

DW and I have done this trip several times, and have found the tube to be very convenient and cost effective. Our first trip we took the Heathrow Express, a quick option however quite expensive, and we still had to transfer to the tube to complete our journey. Unable to comment on the bus option.

As far as luggage storage goes, newer tube cars have luggage areas, older cars just wherever you can place it. Unfortunately several of our trips were in the morning rush...and we took up a fair bit of space. heathrow Express cars have a dedicated luggage area.

If we are staying in London we use the Heathrow Express. Then take a taxi to our hotel.

If you have time one of the tours I really enjoy is canal boat cruise. It goes from Little Venice to Camden Lock.

Edited by bigbenboys
spelling

For convenience and cost I would recommend the bus. Your cases are loaded underneath for you and you can sit and relax, rather than hoping you find a seat on the train and that there are spaces on the luggage racks!

For convenience and cost I would recommend the bus. Your cases are loaded underneath for you and you can sit and relax, rather than hoping you find a seat on the train and that there are spaces on the luggage racks!

Thanks for the info. I really didn't have any idea how the train worked. It seems that the bus will be our best option. I am purchasing our bus tickets for the transfer to Southampton in advance. It appears that we can buy the bus tickets at the airport to get to London.

Sue

Hi

The train companay that runs frim `London to Southhamption is South West Trains from Waterlo, they run every hour and take about 1hr30 mins to get to Southhampton you could book 1st class which is always a good way to go as more space and also room for your luggage it is nice to sit on the train and watch the countryside go by.

Hope that helps

Gareth

If you are staying at the Grosvenor, I would use the National Express coach. Although the hotel is right beside Victoria station, trains don't go there from LHR. Trains do go to Southampton, but its a very circuitous route. The coach station is about 300 yds from the hotel, so you could walk it with rollling luggage. Coach journey to Southampton is about 3 hrs, but they are very comfortable coaches...not much different to train seats.It will also be a lot cheaper, but you must pre book to guarantee a seat.

Simon

Heathrow to Victoria will always be better by train. Road congestion is a major headache especially crossing the west end to Victoria. National express operate a coach service costs £10/pp whilst the underground CONNECT service from LHR to London Paddington costs £11/pp, luggage is seldom a problem. Heathrow EXPRESS costs £24/pp and is 10 minute quicker than the Connect service.

Would recommend you purchase an OYSTER Card in advance as it will significantly reduce your transport costs within London.

If you aren’t in a hurry choose National Express. Service 501 goes direct to Victoria Coach Station from LHR Central Bus Station at terminal 2/3 - costs £6 to £10/pp single depending on time of day. Definitely get an Oyster card as it will half your transport costs within London. You can buy a tourist Oyster card online from London Transport from £10.

Probably the cheapest (and close to quickest) would be to take the underground - Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Earls Court, then the District/Circle Line to Victoria. Of course you will have to manage your suitcases on a possibly busy train. You can buy an Oyster Card on arrival, and cash it in when you are finished using it.

Don’t confuse a coach with a bus. Coaches will have luggage storage under the seats, loaded outside the vehicle. For buses you take the luggage on board with you and hope the storage space isn’t full.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don’t confuse a coach with a bus. Coaches will have luggage storage under the seats, loaded outside the vehicle. For buses you take the luggage on board with you and hope the storage space isn’t full.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I meant a "coach" but I am from "up North" so to me they are all buses lol

Reading this with interest. We land at Heathrow about 6:30 am on a weekday. For those who know, would you recommend different transport because it will be morning rush hour? We usually take taxis, because we are not at our best just getting off the plane, and sacrifice money for convenience, but i understand it is a LONG ride from Heathrow, and I was considering a bus as a compromise

Reading this with interest. We land at Heathrow about 6:30 am on a weekday. For those who know, would you recommend different transport because it will be morning rush hour? We usually take taxis, because we are not at our best just getting off the plane, and sacrifice money for convenience, but i understand it is a LONG ride from Heathrow, and I was considering a bus as a compromise

There is always the option of pre-booking transportation. We are using Smith's for Airports for several transfers for an upcoming cruise. All communications have been easy and professionally handled. They come highly recommended. They will be more expensive than the train or bus but were less expensive than some other services I contacted.

...Definitely get an Oyster card as it will half your transport costs within London. You can buy a tourist Oyster card online from London Transport from £10.

OR......you can save yourself £10 and just use Apple Pay throughout the system.

The locals call it "contactless" and it is sooo much easier than fooling around buying and then pre loading the oyster card with money, followed by re loading when the card gets low on cash, or finding no machine available if you are using a bus. Not to mention not having to wait in line for a machine at the station to reload your card.

Just wave your phone (or better yet your Apple Watch!) at the turnstile and you are set to go. No fumbling with the oyster card or worse losing it and having to buy another let alone constantly reloading it or wasting left over cash when you leave London.

The best part is that the system automatically calculates the lowest fare possible for you (one-way, return, all day pass, etc.)

We used Apple Pay this last year to travel all over London and it was the best and least expensive.(y):D

I would opt for the Heathrow Express into London I use it all the time, you can purchase your tickets online. It is very quick and easy with luggage.

National Express coach from terminal 2/3 is a direct service to Victoria, hassle free with luggage. Taking Heathrow Express means changing to the underground at Paddington, not a good choice with luggage.

Hi

The train companay that runs frim `London to Southhamption is South West Trains from Waterlo, they run every hour and take about 1hr30 mins to get to Southhampton you could book 1st class which is always a good way to go as more space and also room for your luggage it is nice to sit on the train and watch the countryside go by.

Hope that helps

Gareth

If you use http://www.thetrainline.com at about 11/12 weeks before your travel date there can be discounted train fares. I always use this as I can get first class rail travel cheaper than the ordinary train fare. I have used the assistance facility offered by the railways when I travel as there can be help for you if anyone in your party is disabled and it can be a Godsend for example the staff at Southampton Central meet me from the train and help me get the luggage off. This is really useful as Southampton Central is just a stop on the line and not the terminus (I get a bit stress about managing to get us and luggage off the train quickly!

I would say also to get the tube from Heathrow as London traffic can be awful.

Best advice is never use the Trainline.com - they are just a ticket agent always charging a booking fee over and above the Main Train Service provider like GWR, etc.

You do have to be patient and wait for the discounts to come in...once it was 9 weeks before travel date and not the 12 often stated but I have usually managed to get first class travel - definitely on Virgin trains from the North to London at a very acceptable price. £33 has got me first class comfy seats, a cooked breakfast and internet plus the fastest way to get to London from the North west.

You do have to be patient and wait for the discounts to come in...once it was 9 weeks before travel date and not the 12 often stated but I have usually managed to get first class travel - definitely on Virgin trains from the North to London at a very acceptable price. £33 has got me first class comfy seats, a cooked breakfast and internet plus the fastest way to get to London from the North west.

You get the same notification from the train provider. Why use a ticket agent, always costs more. They even charge you to deliver tickets as well as a booking fee - train operator is always cheaper.