Would you move?

yuvraj

I would like to think that I am a polite and courteous person so if someone asked me to move up a few seats in the theatre, I would happily do so.

When we were asked to move a few seats on our last cruise, I happily moved. My wife, stubbornly refused to do so.

I will present the case and perhaps learned CC folk can share their view on who is right or what you would do.

We were in a group of 4, comfortably seated in the reserved seating area for suites. 6 empty seats on one side of us, 2 on the other. Just before start of show, some fellow passengers asked us to move a couple of seats. Seemed like a reasonable request to me.

My wife objected. Her view was that she was happy with her seat and the view that she had. Plus she was a little annoyed that the people who had asked us to move was simply rounding up their friends who were comfortably seated elsewhere. Some but not all were suite guests so it seemed like an imposition to her. Note that seats in reserved seating area are released to all just before the show.

The person asking us to move was also a little too assertive, almost giving us a directive rather than a polite request which probably didn't help.

So CC folk. What would you do?

I would like to think that I am a polite and courteous person so if someone asked me to move up a few seats in the theatre, I would happily do so.

When we were asked to move a few seats on our last cruise, I happily moved. My wife, stubbornly refused to do so.

I will present the case and perhaps learned CC folk can share their view on who is right or what you would do.

We were in a group of 4, comfortably seated in the reserved seating area for suites. 6 empty seats on one side of us, 2 on the other. Just before start of show, some fellow passengers asked us to move a couple of seats. Seemed like a reasonable request to me.

My wife objected. Her view was that she was happy with her seat and the view that she had. Plus she was a little annoyed that the people who had asked us to move was simply rounding up their friends who were comfortable seated elsewhere. Some but not all were suite guests so it seemed like an imposition to her. Note that seats in reserved seating area are released to all just before the show.

The person asking us to move was also a little too assertive, almost giving us a directive rather than a polite request which probably didn't help.

So CC folk. What would you do?

If someone asked nicely we would usually oblige.

If someone was rude like you said i would refuse to move.

There seemed to be plenty of other seats nearby and as everyone should be quiet during the show out of respect for the performers and other passengers these people should have just sat down in the available seats.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Depends on how it was asked and if where I'm moving to is a less desirable spot or not. This has happened to me more times that I can count on a plane. It's usually a man asking me a woman for the aisle seat. I always say no. For some reason guys feel they should not be in the window or middle seat and that women will fit there just fine. But I digress. On vacation in the theatre of a ship I would likely move IF truly asked and not just flippantly stated "please move" and expected to do so

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I was asked nicely and I could see just as well from the new seat I would probably move. If someone was rude or offhand, or the new seat would make it more difficult to see I would refuse.

I'm small so if it's something I really want to see I arrive early and pick my seat carefully. I think if people are particular about where they want to sit they should do the same.

Julie

I would if someone asked nicely and if my new seat didn't have a bad view. I normally sit on the end of the row. Normally people don't want to sit there because you have to get up and down a million times

Thank you for the replies. I would move unless there is a good reason not to, in which case I would explain why I am not prepared to move.

Wife's stubbornness and the persistence of the person asking made this situation more uncomfortable than it needed to be.

I would not move if someone demands me to move, if they ask nicely and i could still see over someone heads I would. I'm only 5'1 so if I'm stuck where I couldn't see, no, I wouldn't move (yes, I know the seats are higher), just saying :)

If I was asked nicely and I could see just as well from the new seat I would probably move. If someone was rude or offhand, or the new seat would make it more difficult to see I would refuse.

I'm small so if it's something I really want to see I arrive early and pick my seat carefully. I think if people are particular about where they want to sit they should do the same.

Julie

My wife is small too so why should she move if we were there early and a move meant her view would be compromised.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I agree with the others mostly. Depends on if I would be moving to a worse seat. If I paid for a suite and arrived early enough to get the reserved seats that I was wanting... sorry, but it isn't my fault you were late to arrive, or want to bend the rules.

I'm assuming they needed 8 seats together...and right before the show. I would have moved in the past. But I'm getting tired of getting somewhere early to get a good seat then being asked to scoot over by someone who shows up late. And honestly why do all 8 need to sit together. They can't talk to each other during the show. They could have split up into 6 and 2. Maybe if there was an odd man out or a child involved....but otherwise no.

Totally inappropriate to ask anyone to move. You were seated and your wife the view she wanted of the stage. As a short person, I would not want to move if I could see the stage and then possibly move to a seat with a tall person in front of me where I could not. Either way, it is still not OK to ask people to move. I would never think of doing that in a theater.

If I'm honest, I would have moved but been annoyed about it all night. I applaud your wife for sticking to her guns, I don't always have the guts to say no to someone like that. But here's where you lost me - once your wife said no, your answer should have been no too. A simple 'sorry, we picked these seats and really wanted to sit here' was all that was needed. It didn't need to get uncomfortable, they should have just said 'no problem' and moved on. I don't think you should blame your wife for sticking to her principles here. She is not the one in the wrong. A lot more people in this world could do with hearing the word 'no' more often.

Another +1 for it depends.

If we got there early so that we would get some specific seats, it's highly unlikely that we would move. Possible, but the odds of that are the lowest.

If we were just anywhere, and there was space for a big group next to us, and two open seats near by- far more likely.

For sure, if someone didn't ask, but tell me to move, I probably would not. There's no saving of seats, especially if you are not there.

We rarely move. I do not leave single seats empty (as i feel that is also rude) but as yo uahd a pair on what side and even more on the other that is not an issue here.

DH is very tall. We get to the theatre early so people behind him KNOW they are sitting behind a tall person and can adjust accordingly. If we moved near show time, whoever we move in front of would be suddenly inconveinced.

If we were in a venue with a steep enough slant not to matter---well we would likely move to equally good seats to allow a couple with kids to all sit together or a coupel or gourping of 3 friends. But, not to allow some huge party ot not split up--it is not as if you should be chatting with on anther during the show anyway

On Majesty some girls were sitting right behind the tables with 2 chairs. A single woman walked in and sat at the table. The girl behind her told her she couldn't sit there because she couldn't see. They started to argue and then the girl at the table walked away. The girl in the seat then put her feet on the chair at the table, so no one else could sit there. That was extremely rude.

So it's a row of 10, six empty seats (1-6), you and your wife (7-8) and two more empty seats (9-10)? They were a group of 8 and wanted to sit together (seats 1-8), putting you and your wife in 9-10?

I can't imagine moving over two seats changing the viewing angle that much. As long as they were somewhat polite, we would move.

I'm one that likely would have moved. In fact, my wife would have moved without being asked. She's like that. What happens is when you arrive early and take the middle seats, as people fill in they leave seats by you empty hoping no one will show so no crowding. As the theater fills it's apparent those seats will fill up. Sometimes its an uneven number so my wife will move us over one to create an even number for people coming in. But I will say, moving 2 seats generally doesn't change the view. So I'd do it. If there was an obstruction I'd likely say something. But we cruise in a large group and try to get seats together. If we were in that situation, we'd likely not ask someone to move, we'd just take the empty seats on the other side. It's really no big deal as you shouldn't talk during the show anyway. Only reason to sit near each other is to talk before the show, and to be with "the group" during the mass exit. We would end up getting to know the people that split us up. I've met a lot of nice people this way.

Barring extenuating circumstances (disabled, kid, etc.), I am not moving. I like this age of reserved specific seats in movie theatres, even though it costs more money, for that reason. Where seats are not reserved, I like to get there early, pick a seat that works for me (acoustics, line of sight, etc) and settle in. I love to see people show up to a show with 8 people as the lights have just gone down and seem surprised they can't all sit together.

I would politely say no thank you. Now, that said, if its a situation with one empty seat on either side of us, and by moving over one seat a couple can sit, assuming my viewing dynamics were not already perfect, I might and have on occasion moved one seat.

mixplix