What? I can't take that onboard!

In my "what can I look at next" pre-cruise daze I thought I would read about baggage regulations. Thus the list of "restricted Items" gave me a few laughs.

Some banned items

hookahs,

missile that can be fired using a propellant [no bottle rockets off the balcony, oh my],

Handcuffs [hmmm?],

Surfboards [Dude!],

Scooters and footwear with wheels,

Two Wheeled Balancing Scooters [well so much for my hoverboard],

Inflatable Kiddie Pool,

radio controlled flying toys,

Kava [my personal favorite on the list]

On the exception list is "live animals" if they are "qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking" Now I have to wonder how many times someone shows up with their "purse pooch" at embarkation.

"Google Glasses are permitted on board in public areas but cannot be worn at any gangway operation." is an interesting exception as is "Ham Radios/Amateur Radio Equipment: Permitted to be used on board."

Edited by untailored bostonian

Hoverboards are banned on Carnival, and on most, if not all, airlines. The lithium ion batteries have a tendency to overheat and burst into flames. Not something I'd want to have happen while on a plane or cruise ship. You may have seen or are aware of this, but, except for wine, bottled beverages such as water or sodas are no longer allowed. Only cans. We can thank the booze smugglers for this.

While I'm sure some ***** will want to try to take his whole ham radio setup on board, I think the allowance of ham operating equipment covers the popular walkie talkie usage.

If you buy your Kava pills in bulk, just stick them in an old Iburpofen bottle. They won't look in the bottle, but may look at your zonked out eyes and yellow skin, especially if you fall asleep while standing at muster drill:D.

While I'm sure some ***** will want to try to take his whole ham radio setup on board, I think the allowance of ham operating equipment covers the popular walkie talkie usage.

If you buy your Kava pills in bulk, just stick them in an old Iburpofen bottle. They won't look in the bottle, but may look at your zonked out eyes and yellow skin, especially if you fall asleep while standing at muster drill:D.

Why just list Kava? What bad things have happened to add just it to the list. Marijuana is on the no-go list, even medical Marijuana. There is specific mention of no Alcohol. But there is not comment about other substances you assume should not be allowed on board. ["Molly"] I think Kava is still legal, so why does it get thumb down?

BTW... I found the kiddie pool thing funny. Frankly if I had a toddler with me and a balcony, I might have tried to bring one on board.

This is great to hear. That means I can take my airplane on board!

[picture removed]

Does Carnival have an aircraft carrier cruise ship by any chance?

They ban "radio" flying things, but in the exceptions list they say you CAN have a drone intended for shore use. Can you imagine dueling camera drones on the Lido?

Why just list Kava? What bad things have happened to add just it to the list. Marijuana is on the no-go list, even medical Marijuana. There is specific mention of no Alcohol. But there is not comment about other substances you assume should not be allowed on board. ["Molly"] I think Kava is still legal, so why does it get thumb down?

BTW... I found the kiddie pool thing funny. Frankly if I had a toddler with me and a balcony, I might have tried to bring one on board.

People bring inflatable kiddie pools on board all the time if you read the family boards...repeatedly recommended as a way to bathe a baby/toddler who won't do shower.

Need to add boom box to the list.

It is on the exception list. You can have one, but in public you must use head phone with it.

As I said the list is funny. Clearly there have been "gray" areas arguments and exceptions to create such a list. I know folk who have their yappy dogs and call them their kids. I'd love to see them show up for embarkation with their "kids" in a carry-on bag.

People bring inflatable kiddie pools on board all the time if you read the family boards...repeatedly recommended as a way to bathe a baby/toddler who won't do shower.

You are mistaking a blow up kiddie "tub" for a "pool". The tubs are just about as wide as the ankle-biter's bottom, and as long as their little legs. They don't want the 4 foot diameter pool.

Ham radio equipment is allowed on some lines, but you must get permission from the Captain in advance, and the antenna set up must not interfere with anything else on the ship. Hams do have to check local laws in the countries where the ship docks to see about licensing.

It is on the exception list. You can have one, but in public you must use head phone with it.

As I said the list is funny. Clearly there have been "gray" areas arguments and exceptions to create such a list. I know folk who have their yappy dogs and call them their kids. I'd love to see them show up for embarkation with their "kids" in a carry-on bag.

Unfortunately, this happens all too often. Folks will get a bogus "service dog" certificate online for "Puddles", and then the lines don't want the hassle of debating whether the service provided actually is covered by ADA.

On our last cruise in November, a guy did bring his satellite setup to do some hamming.

Does that mean all types of handcuffs?????

On a Halloween cruise we did, one of the cruisers had her plastic handcuffs taken away. It was part of her costume.

Unfortunately, this happens all too often. Folks will get a bogus "service dog" certificate online for "Puddles", and then the lines don't want the hassle of debating whether the service provided actually is covered by ADA.

My patients frequently ask me to sign papers their pet is a service animal. Can you imagine how many dogs would be in Walmart if we signed those stupid requests? "My son has ADHD and his dog calms him so he can shop." No way. One lady didn't want to have to pay airline fee for her dog! There are sites on line that supply bogus certificates for a fee. People think they're real but they aren't. Makes me mad.

While boarding an RCCL ship in Galveston we saw them confiscate brass knuckles from a lady. She was allowed to sail, but complained loudly when they told her that she could not get her brass knuckles back after the cruise. The Port Authority Police officer put them in a box of confiscated items that he was taking back to the station.

Edited by DebJ14