Prepaid Gratuities

dljones

So we prepaid our gratuities today. I like doing that because I think the crew works their butts off for us. I have heard it said that the crew doesn't know but I really wonder. Do they really know who has paid and who hasn't?

Yes they know who has prepaid. I am now bowing out gracefully of this highly flammable topic before I succumb to the madness which is about to commence. Thank you for looking out for the Crew. I do the same. And that's all I'm gonna say about that :D:eek:

Edited by firemanbobswife

So we prepaid our gratuities today. I like doing that because I think the crew works their butts off for us. I have heard it said that the crew doesn't know but I really wonder. Do they really know who has paid and who hasn't?

Can't see why they'd know if you pre paid or not.

We always prepay ours, they all work hard, customer service is no joke

But what does it matter if you pre pay or just leave the autos in place.

Makes no sense to me, what does it change?

And if there's no difference between pre paying and paying at the end why would they need to know?

We always pre pay because we just like to have it out of the way and just factor it into the cost of the cruise. Not sure why it matters if they're pre paid or not tho.

that's what we do too. It's one less bill to pay. And then we always tip a little extra on the last day. So maybe... I dunno, maybe they pay a little extra attention to those who prepaid because they still might get a little more?? ;)

And if there's no difference between pre paying and paying at the end why would they need to know?

I am like firemanbobswife, I am going to comment and make some popcorn.

What is sad is those that remove the tips because "it is more than we can afford with the price of the cruise and all" OR "I spent more than I planned at the bar so I have to make my S&S bill less" Yes I have been at guest services and heard both these excuses for removing tips.

If you want to prepay look for deals that will save you money.

Amex had $75 statement credit for $250 spent on Carnival. This reappears from time to time.

Open Carnival credit card and get 10K points after your first purchase, which can be used for $100 OBC. Have both people in the room do this and you will have $200 OBC which can be used for the gratuity.

Buy gift cards from AARP / Verizon at 10% off face value, then apply them onboard to your S&S account to pay for gratuity. Sometimes supermarket chains offer even better discounts on these cards too (regional).

If your booking was direct but is fairly new and final payment date has not arrived shop it around to different TA's for the best OBC deal you can find; which can be used to pay the gratuity.

There may be some other methods that come up as limited time offers to save you money too, just be aware.

It's on their list which I have seen twice now. Just look at the room steward's clipboard. It's there. They showed me straight up. But don't take my word for it, ask them next time you go.

I have seen it too!:)

I look at gratuity as part of the cost of the cruise and plan accordingly. I was super stoked that on our Thanksgiving cruise I will on be paying 40 bucks in grats for 4 people as I was able to get 4 of the elusive 500$ Verizon GC's! I had thought about calling Carnival and getting them to add grats to my birthday cruise and buying another GC! But seriously though I bartended for years before teaching and when you work mainly for tips it sucks when someone with no clue about what you do or how hard you work doesn't tip.

Yes they know who has prepaid. I am now bowing out gracefully of this highly flammable topic before I succumb to the madness which is about to commence. Thank you for looking out for the Crew. I do the same. And that's all I'm gonna say about that :D:eek:

;)!

I look at gratuity as part of the cost of the cruise and plan accordingly.

Agreed. Hopefully that day will come when they just jack up the price and make the gratuities part of the fare. Of course cruise critic would lose this heated subject that gets debated once a month but they'll survive. [emoji51]

Agreed. Hopefully that day will come when they just jack up the price and make the gratuities part of the fare. Of course cruise critic would lose this heated subject that gets debated once a month but they'll survive. [emoji51]

I so agree! I really dislike tipping policies. Tipping makes getting good service the customers responsibility instead of the owner.

I do prefer auto tips to the envelopes they used to pass out.

What are gratuities? :eek:

Gratuities are tips for the Room Stewards, waiters/waitresses, etc. Prepaying them at the time of booking makes it easier to tip and not have to worry about it on the last day. I always prepay the gratuities and then tip extra accordingly especially if the service is good (which it usually is). The crew members get a small salary and depend on the tips of the passengers. Hope this helps.

Good points made by all posters. I to always prepaid until this upcoming cruise. Carnival has just raised the gratuities again. I have no problem with this if it all goes to the workers. I have herd and the staff will not confirm it that they don't know if the added gratuities are making their way to their pockets of Carnival's bottom line. I might add the extra tip I tender at the end of the cruise amounts to more then the rise in the gratuities.

Has any one else heard any thing on this subject? Once more I will add I would never begrudge a dime to any of the service people on board. I have always been very well taken care of on a Carnival ship. Happy cruising all!

Edited by woodman
Just a comment

Never pre-paid until the 3 that I now have booked. Added them before they raised the gratuity rate per day per person. We always tip extra, but wanted to get this additional expense out of the way. We have always had exceptional service on Carnival. I didn't really know how good they were until we sailed DCL and had a comparison. Let me just say that what we experienced on DCL was mediocre service at best.

There are some times where prepaying can save you $$ (like recently when the daily gratuity fee increased....so to prepay locked you into saving some $$. Also, to prepay means you owe less at the end, it is just one more expense you don't have to worry about. You can certainly leave the auto tip in place, but then you have to pay it at end on S&S invoice. Depends which way you desire...to each his own.

Or maybe Carnival will stop paying third world wages

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk