Panama Canal Experienced Cruisers

jogr

We are planning our first Panama Canal cruise in March of 2019.

I have a question about which side of the ship our balcony would be the best for views. Fort Lauderdale to San Diego is the route we will be taking.

Also, would you recommend the Volendam or the Nieuw Amsterdam? I think it would be a no brainer to choose the Nieuw over Volendam since it's newer and a bit bigger, but not a huge ship.

I have a question about which side of the ship our balcony would be the best for views. Fort Lauderdale to San Diego is the route we will be taking.

Also, would you recommend the Volendam or the Nieuw Amsterdam? I think it would be a no brainer to choose the Nieuw over Volendam since it's newer and a bit bigger, but not a huge ship.

We have made two transits and will make third in April.

IMO there isn't a preferred side since you won't know until you get there which of two lanes you'll be entering. The best thing is to view entering the locks from the bow, to watch some from the aft, on highest decks. You'll figure out once you're in the locks which side the scenery is on, but both sides are different.

Since it's an all day transit plan on viewing from many parts of ship, not just from your balcony.

Agree that you need to get out and move around to have the best experience. We were also on HAL for our Panama Canal cruise and really enjoyed it. Please take time to read "The Path Between the Seas" to learn a bit of the history of this engineering marvel.

Thanks all. I meant more for the entire cruise, which side of ship would be a better view coming that route. Good to know regarding the actual pass thru canal.

I totally apologize, I meant to post this on Holland America board. NCL is my favorite, but they don't have a Panama Canal cruise that leaves in Florida and ends in San Diego.

Thanks!

Thanks all. I meant more for the entire cruise, which side of ship would be a better view coming that route. Good to know regarding the actual pass thru canal.

I totally apologize, I meant to post this on Holland America board. NCL is my favorite, but they don't have a Panama Canal cruise that leaves in Florida and ends in San Diego.

Thanks!

We did HAL for our Panama Canal trip; loved every minute of it and as posted doesn't make any difference which side of the ship your cabin is on. Enjoy, but remember, NCL and keep the loyalty. We all have to venture out once in awhile. ;););) Only kidding HAL is a great line; it is very different from NCL I will add.

Agree that you need to get out and move around to have the best experience. We were also on HAL for our Panama Canal cruise and really enjoyed it. Please take time to read "The Path Between the Seas" to learn a bit of the history of this engineering marvel.

Yes. Do read that book. I've done so twice. Long, very detailed from the French first efforts until completion in 1914. But very well written. Will mean so much more to you when you do go see the PC. We've been through twice. And yes, on transit day, be out and all over the ship. Look at everything from every angle. It is a long tired day when it's over...but wonderful to have seen it all.

On thing to remember is that if you are on the Port side on this itinerary you will have no views of any land when you are at sea especially going up the Pacific coast.

For that reason, not the PC, I do recommend the starboard side also....

My balcony on the Queen Victoria was on a lower deck when we crossed the Canal. When we were in a lock and being lowered, I was almost eye level with the wall which put a different perspective on the trip.

One bad thing was I dropped my prescription sun glasses and they were crushed between the ship and wall. :eek:

Don

Did our PC (both ways) on the NCL Star in an inside cabin. We went all over the ship to get views from every direction. At first I regretted not having a balcony but realized that if you just stay on the balcony, you have a very narrow view. We went to the top, both ends, and around the promenade for varied views. Have been on the Volendam and loved it...don't know about the NA. Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Did our PC (both ways) on the NCL Star in an inside cabin. We went all over the ship to get views from every direction. At first I regretted not having a balcony but realized that if you just stay on the balcony, you have a very narrow view. We went to the top, both ends, and around the promenade for varied views. Have been on the Volendam and loved it...don't know about the NA. Whatever you choose, enjoy!

people have complained about the lack of viewing areas on the Star. ive sailed her twice, and did not find that (BUT, i did nto sail her for a cruise like Alaska or PC). what was your perspective? we are doing Star PC in April.

people have complained about the lack of viewing areas on the Star. ive sailed her twice, and did not find that (BUT, i did nto sail her for a cruise like Alaska or PC). what was your perspective? we are doing Star PC in April.

We did the canal on the Star and I was really glad it was not our first transit of the canal since bow and aft had very limited viewing room and was extremely crowded.

The window seats along walkways indoors were all full as were buffet windows. In fact at both breakfast and lunch in buffet it was harder than usual to find a place to eat because seats were taken mostly by viewers.

Since you've sailed on the Star before, you have an idea of what to expect. But I was used to ships with an observation lounge on top deck as well as more open deck space in aft.

We got out early on the top on the first transit through the locks. They also open up the front of another deck IIRC. After a good long while doing that, we walked around the ship. On our return trip we just walked around and didn't bother getting out early. I'm thinking the locks on the east side are more impressive, again if I remember correctly. Will you be in the old canal? I enjoyed seeing the vehicles that help propel the ships from a view on the promenade deck.

Should be required reading.

yes, we will be going thru the old locks. purposely why we chose a smaller ship, and going west to east was a must for us as we didnt want a flight from CA to MA facing us at the end.

we will plan to be up early to get some good viewing spots. it is what it is, i guess. given the heat, etc. do people really park in one spot ALL DAY from 5am till dark?

yes, we will be going thru the old locks. purposely why we chose a smaller ship, and going west to east was a must for us as we didnt want a flight from CA to MA facing us at the end.

we will plan to be up early to get some good viewing spots. it is what it is, i guess. given the heat, etc. do people really park in one spot ALL DAY from 5am till dark?

I guess a few might. However, the locks are at each end of the transit. Between that is a lengthy trip at no wake speed across the huge lake and then 7 miles of dredged canal that makes up the 40 mile adventure. So you have lots of time to move all over the ship, see it all from every angle, and time for lunch and getting out of the hot weather. You will have lots of opportunity to view from wherever you wish. But, yes the first locks begin early in the day and you don't exit the last on the other side until almost night.

Prime viewing areas on the Star got crowded very early when we did our transit of the canal. The Captain opened the bow of ship on deck 7 (normally closed) on the day of the transit. This is a prime viewing spot and gets crowded early. Once the ship passes through the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks the crowd at the front of the ship on all decks thins out.

294nfvm.jpg

The crew set up a refreshment stand on deck 7 during the transit which was appreciated because it was very hot during our transit.

15yaooj.jpg

3038inb.jpg

Those with the best views were the passengers in the suites at the front of the ship.

24o81vp.jpg

It’s fascinating to watch the mules (trains) as they keep the ships positioned within the locks.

xnc9ww.jpg

I also found the view from rear of the ship much less crowded and the view was almost as interesting as the front.

2j19c03.jpg

Some folks watched the transit of the canal locks from the comfort of the Atrium on the big screen. The Atrium is a prime viewing spot if it happens to be raining during your transit.

Most of the day is spent cruising through the canal toward the Gatun Locks on the Atlantic side. We spent much of the day on our balcony watching the ship traffic pass by. We absolutely loved our Panama Canal cruise on the Star.

Absolutely agree with the recommendation to read "The Path Between the Seas". It was a fascinating read.:D

Travel thru the PC !

A day or two before your transit thru the Canal - scout out the Photo-Ops.

Yes there will be people doing the same thing and more in likely will be

in your way for taking those photos. Find out if you are going to need a

extendable selfy sticks or just standing one or more steps on a stairway

to get that unobstructed view.

Transiting the Canal move about the ship be F-L-E-X-I-B-L-E.

Don't park in one spot missing the activity on the other side of the ship !

You will be able to catch the action at the bow and walk the ship's length

while the ship moves thru the canal to the next set of locks.

For west bound transits - smaller cruise ships will go thru the existing

old locks - the starboard side will be where the new BIG DITCH has been

built to accommodate the super size ships AND THE NCL BLISS !

WESTBOUND - Miami to Los Angeles

STARBOARD SIDE FACES THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE

PORT SIDE FACES THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE

EASTBOUND - Los Angeles to Miami

PORT SIDE FACES THE N.H.

STARBOARD FACES THE S.H.

And about that book thing - makes a great read - BUT - put it down transiting the canal ! LOL !

Some passages of the canal a canal spokesperson will come on board and entertain you with

the history location and details of the building of the canal.

Plan on the passage being hot humid and perhaps rainy *** the rain must fall to fill the Gatun

Lake reservoir to keep the canal primed with water to move the ships !

IN CLOSING VERY IMPORTANT POINT FOR PHOTO TAKERS

THE AIR IS SO HUMID AT TIMES YOUR PHOTO GEAR MAY FOG UP ESPECIALLY IF TAKING

THE CAMERA FROM YOUR STATEROOM TO THE OUTSIDE.

GIVE YOUR GEAR TIME TO ACCLIMATE OR TAKE A HAND TOWEL TO WIPE THE EXCESS

MOISTURE OFF THE LENS.