Help a Ginger ;)

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 8,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:37 AM.
Long Island ,NY
3,128 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by EmilyAnn86
I am a classic ginger with red hair, blue eyes, freckles, and VERY fair skin. Any tips on how to enjoy my cruise and not get burned? I typically don't spend more than 30 minutes outside at a time because I burn even with sunscreen. I know the basics, sunscreen, long sleeve rashguard, hat, and reapply the sunscreen often, but normally I stay indoors when the sun is at it's peak and limit my time in the sun as much as possible. I live in NC, so I know the Caribbean and Bahamas are much closer to the equator than I am used to.
Use the best quality sunscreen you can find (advice from a formerely red haired fair skin guy).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lenny
149 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by EmilyAnn86
I am a classic ginger with red hair, blue eyes, freckles, and VERY fair skin. Any tips on how to enjoy my cruise and not get burned? I typically don't spend more than 30 minutes outside at a time because I burn even with sunscreen. I know the basics, sunscreen, long sleeve rashguard, hat, and reapply the sunscreen often, but normally I stay indoors when the sun is at it's peak and limit my time in the sun as much as possible. I live in NC, so I know the Caribbean and Bahamas are much closer to the equator than I am used to.

I also believe that SPF clothing is a great investment. You will find a big selection at Lands End and a website called Coolibar. I've found that if I snorkel in a regular T shirt I get burned on my back but not in my Lands Ends SPF shirts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
72 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
You might consider a Patagonia sun hoody. I have worn this brand and type in Colorado summer back country treks. It is a breathable and is not designed to fit tight such as a swimshirt.
Bellingham WA
597 Posts
Joined May 2013
I am red head and very light skinned and live in the Pacific Northwest. I have had successful vacations to Hawaii, Caribbean and Florida without sunburn. However, I did get sunburned in Alaska! I use the spray sunscreen from Walmart. I put on my suit and jump in the shower where my husband sprays me from head to toe while I slowly turn. Be sure to wipe your feet bottoms and to run the shower to get the slippery spray off the shower bottom. I use this with a hat when I am NOT going into the ocean. When in the water, I wear a long sleeve rash guard along with the zinc based coral safe sunscreen. Works like a charm every time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

5/20/17 - Star Princess - Alaska
3/12/17 - Regal Princess - Western Carib
12/1/2016 - Crown Princess - LA to Ensenada
9/18/2016 - Ruby Princess - SEA to VAN
9/14/2016 - Island Princess - Van to SF
5/20/2016 -Crown Princess - Coastal
5/7/2016 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
2/7/2016 - Regal Princess - Western Carib
12/15/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
09/13/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
05/13/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
04/29/2015 Ruby Princess - Alaska
05/2014 - HAL - Coastal
05/15/2013 NCL Jewel - Coastal
2011 - Sapphire Princess - Coastal
2010 - Sapphire Princess - Coastal
2009 - Golden Princess - Coastal
2007 - Golden Princess(?) - Coastal
12/2002 - RCL Vision of the Seas - Mexico
1997 - Carnival Ecstacy - Mexico
2/1993 - Carnival - Mexico
4/1984 - Carnival - Mexico
6/1983 - NLC - East Carib
Charlotte, NC
2,700 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
My step-daughter and her cousins are gingers but also love being out in the sun - they go through SPF50+ sunblock like there's no tomorrow.

They all follow the recommendations that have been posted - wide brimmed hat, slathering sun block 30 minutes before heading out and liberally reapplying every 90 minutes or so and the like. As for UPF (for Ultraviolet Protection Factor) clothing - its not necessary to shell out the extra bucks for poly/spandex clothes embedded with TiO2 - clothing in general offer various levels of protection to begin with, some better than others but all better than nothing. Think of farmer's tans - tan lines in general

And yes - she found out the hard way that even out of direct sunlight, you will get UV rays bounced back off water, concrete, sand, etc. Thought she was safe in the shade of a chickee hut on the beach, but.........
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9/2012 - Carnival Victory
5/2012 - Carnival Elation
6/2011 - Carnival Fascination