Cell phones in the MDR

Norcal Cruiser

When we are in a crowed and loud restaurant my wife and I will have conversations via text message from across the table. We wouldn't take out our phone if we were seated with others during diner. Hopefully there would be some interesting conversation and we would meet new people. With that said after reading some of these treads I may insist that we text each other at a 2 top to avoid eavesdropping from the busy bodies. Isn't it also bad manners to stare someone down while they are eating. These people watchers really need to join the party and participate. They are so busy judging that they can't possibly be enjoying themselves.

However did we manage when you could only use the ships phone to contact home! On a land based holiday you had to find a phone box, yet we managed to survive!

We take our phones, but know we would only be contacted in emergency if we were really needed.

When we are in a crowed and loud restaurant my wife and I will have conversations via text message from across the table. We wouldn't take out our phone if we were seated with others during diner. Hopefully there would be some interesting conversation and we would meet new people. With that said after reading some of these treads I may insist that we text each other at a 2 top to avoid eavesdropping from the busy bodies. Isn't it also bad manners to stare someone down while they are eating. These people watchers really need to join the party and participate. They are so busy judging that they can't possibly be enjoying themselves.

When my husband brought out his cell phone at our 2 top to see what the weather was going to be at our next stop so that we could plan out our day, a woman at the next table began staring at us. She made sure she caught my eye and then shook her head disapprovingly and did an exaggerated eye roll. From that point on I felt her continued staring. I found it so strange that she mentally invited herself to our table and then seemed angry to be there. She was definitely not enjoying herself.

I'm curious as to how those who do not see an issue with cell phone usage at a table would react if I brought my Wall Street Journal to the table. Opening it wide to read, making sure I was able to get the full effect of my enjoyment.

That wouldn't be rude at all, just like using a cell phone.

:rolleyes:

As long as your elbow isn't in my face , What did Berkshire Hathaway close at ?

I'm pretty sure I'm one of those people some folks love to hate. I write a travel and food blog, and as such, take pictures of my food. I also photograph food that my friends and family are eating. Every once in a while, I get a shot of a perfect stranger's plate (with permission, of course.) And I sometimes use flash.

I always use my cell phone for this purpose. It is portable, I have it with me anyway, and it's convenient. It's part of my job. I don't spend the entire meal on photos, nor do I text, email, Facebook, tweet or anything else while out with friends or family. But photos with the phone? More often than not. (Of course, on a cruise ship, I have to make a conscious effort to bring it with me since I do sometimes forget... You know, that whole vacation thing.)

When my husband brought out his cell phone at our 2 top to see what the weather was going to be at our next stop so that we could plan out our day, a woman at the next table began staring at us. She made sure she caught my eye and then shook her head disapprovingly and did an exaggerated eye roll. From that point on I felt her continued staring. I found it so strange that she mentally invited herself to our table and then seemed angry to be there. She was definitely not enjoying herself.

I think that person has posted on this thread.

I can say that while having dinner in a nicer restaurant, in which the lighting was romantically low, the bright light of a smart phone being used for browsing by someone at the neighboring table drew my attention and held it, and was very distracting and annoying to me. Somewhat like having someone shining a flashlight in my face.

(When the above incident happened, what caused my heart the most pain was that the cell phone user appeared to be out to dinner with her husband, and they spoke not a word through the entire meal -- she interacted only with her cell phone! I think that couple needed to go on a cruise and renew the romance of their marriage!!! ;))

Since the lighting in the MDR onboard is not so low, I don't suppose others' (silent) cell phone use would bother me in the same way. But if I saw it happening around me, I, like the OP and others, would probably heave a sad sigh at the loss of "manners" and conversation in modern society.

Now, talking on a cell phone in the MDR (or having any audio on) -- as is thrust upon us in so many public contexts -- is another issue entirely, though it doesn't sound like that is what the OP was referring to...

What I HAVE seen onboard is the use of cell phones, with their accompanying bright lights, in a darkened theater during -- not only before, but DURING -- a move or show! That, ladies and gents, infuriates me!!!

DW and I have a simple rule about cell phones (or any digital device) at a meal (on land or sea). If anyone feels the need to use a device we simply wish them well and make sure we never dine with them again! It is a sad commentary on our society that many folks have forgotten good manners and how to actually socialize...face to face. There are some times when we will get a cell call while in a restaurant...and if that happens and we must take the call...we simply excuse ourselves and go outside to handle the call. As to texts, we totally ignore them while dining.

Hank

We were on the Solstice May 27th Alaska cruise and observed something we hadn't seen before. Several tables near us had many cell phones out texting and watching videos while ordering and even when eating. My opinion only but I think this is so rude to the dining staff and your fellow diners. Hopefully not the new norm. I have no problem with people snapping quick pics of the food but these phones were out and being used the entire dinner. We had a good cruise but this was unsettling.

And why do you care????

They paid their $$$$$$$$$$$

What I think is worse is other people putting their ideas and values on other people!

FRANK

OP here for the last time. I didn't stare anyone down despite being accused of it. I didn't think I was judgemental. I just stated an observation that I found unsettling. We had a great cruise. I stated that as well. We were seated at a two top table one night 6 inches next to a couple who didn't put their phones down for the entire dinner.4 out of the 6 tables around us had the majority of diners cell phones in hand.5 out of 7 nights we totally enjoyed the couple seated next to us we compared dinners and wine and enjoyed each others company. It was fun. Whatever, I guess we have to accept the new normal. I by the way am only 57.I am not looking for things to complain about. We just love cruising. There are too many posters on here ready to condemn other opinions.

DW and I have a simple rule about cell phones (or any digital device) at a meal (on land or sea). If anyone feels the need to use a device we simply wish them well and make sure we never dine with them again! It is a sad commentary on our society that many folks have forgotten good manners and how to actually socialize...face to face. There are some times when we will get a cell call while in a restaurant...and if that happens and we must take the call...we simply excuse ourselves and go outside to handle the call. As to texts, we totally ignore them while dining.

Hank

Let me get this straight, you condone people who steal and people who don't follow the guidelines as laid out by Celebrity but you ostracize people for bringing cell phones into the dining room because you don't like it? Celebrity has no issue with it. There are post from people who have a table for two so they don't want to socialize at dinner. It's not their fault the tables are so close together.

Learn to live with it, you can't have everything your way no matter how bad you think you should.

However did we manage when you could only use the ships phone to contact home! On a land based holiday you had to find a phone box, yet we managed to survive!

We take our phones, but know we would only be contacted in emergency if we were really needed.

The mobile phone really isn't the phone of years gone by. It's social media, camera, maps, entertainment and, a source of information. Looking back I don't know how we did it. Well we did have other primative versions of these things. On land trips I remember my dad taking out his AAA maps when we would stop for lunch. I don't think anybody minded that. Children were given crayons and coloring books and crossword puzzles at the dinner table in lieu of the tablet that hadn't been invented yet. Many times these items were provided by the restaurant. Mom would purchase some post cards at the restaurant and write them out while we waited for our meal to be served. So while we were clearly not in the electronic age, we still did the same things just in a different way. I dare anyone to find a payphone these days. If you do find one it's usually broken or has been vandalized in some way.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I guess this is what happens when you offer a promo with wifi included. We used to book cruises because we could get AWAY from our cell phones and internet, but apparently, they've found out and are following us...:eek:

YES, YES and YES, we leave our phones at home. DW will take her small IMAC laptop on the trip and use it for our free minutes while in our cabin.

I realize that some people have businesses or jobs that may require them to keep in touch with the office, but cell phones have become the latest portable computer and apparently irroestiable to many.

Agreed. It continues to baffle me how much people on here gossip and complain about what others do that has zero impact to them. What somebody else wears or whether someone else sends a text message (assuming the phone is on silent) is none of my business and would never impact my cruise- or dining experience.

Now - people talking loudly on a cell phone or a screaming baby that the parents don't carry out - those complaints I would understand.

I agree with you, up to a point. However, if the people with this behavior are at my table, it directly affects me.

As for dress, I don't care if someone is wearing a Tux or jeans. However, dining out in the USA, even at a nice restaurant you can find people wearing wife beater T shirts, flip flops, cut offs, which does change the atmosphere of the restaurant. There is a point which people dressing like slobs can make a difference. Fortunately, while on a cruise ship the MDRs don't allow such crude dress.

I agree, phones are multi-tools these days. I certainly remember writing post cards while waiting to be served or my grandparents reading (sharing ) the newspaper at breakfast. I don't think that would have been considered rude, or would have caused a tenth of the comments that mobile phones cause.

I would consider it ruder for a friend or family member to be continuously distracted by their phone , but not in all circumstances. I wouldn't consider a stranger sitting at my table who wanted to look at their phone to be rude at all, or read a book, yes talking loudly on the phone while sitting at a table is rude, as you are inflicting your conversation on others.

I really find it baffling why someone minding their own business, with a quit pursuit, is considered rude, while it's not considered rude to interrupt said pursuit and demand to be entertained by said stranger! It's not always possible to get a table to yourself and I don't consider it that a person is fair game to entertain you just because you are in a public space.

If you're sitting at a table with family or friends who know you and you're reading a newspaper or checking your e-mail then I see no problem with that....DH and I have a sit down Sunday b-fast every Sunday at which neither of us speaks to the other (till after coffee) except to say things like "please pass the salt"...we're both reading our respective sections of the Sunday paper...but if I were sitting in the MDR with a table for 4 or 6 of people I had never met I think it's kind of rude whether you're reading or texting....you might just as well announce to all "I don't know you.....I have no interest in knowing you....please do not speak to me"...and of course no one would come out and say that because.....well, it would be rude, wouldn't it? Now if that person is sitting at a table for 2 next to mine...reading a newspaper or texting were I to say something to them about their cel phone or newspaper....then I would be the one being rude....at least in my world.

Edited by Hydrokitty

I would love to see an experiment done. Divide the DR down the middle, phone side and non phone side. See which fills up first.

I don't even own a cell phone. No desire to. I have an iPad which I may bring for traveling to and from the port but not using it on the ship. I have no desire for a phone. My DH turns his off and puts it in the safe. Our line of business no need to see email or answer a phone. We ran into a client once on a ship and she wanted to discuss her issue, just glad she walked away with her friends. I am on vacation not to talk about your issue.

I guess I would get a table for me and DH so we don't disturb their cell phone time.

I would love to see an experiment done. Divide the DR down the middle, phone side and non phone side. See which fills up first....

Could we include cameras in your experiment too? Those snap happy foodies have been at it far longer in the MDR than the texters. ;)

Could we include cameras in your experiment too? Those snap happy foodies have been at it far longer in the MDR than the texters. ;)

I repeat my simple solution - cell phone jammers - http://cellphone-jammers.com/.

Now if we could figure out how to create a food photo jammer and a selfie jammer, life would be perfect.

DON

I repeat my simple solution - cell phone jammers - http://cellphone-jammers.com/.

Now if we could figure out how to create a food photo jammer and a selfie jammer, life would be perfect.

DON

LOL

Life would be pretty good but not perfect. But if someone also could create....

A chair hog jammer,

A table hog jammer,

A kid jammer,

Nirvana would be close.:D

Edited by DirtyDawg