Signs on the cabin door?

paul1815

We are wondering if Viking Cruise allows signs to be put up on the cabin doors. We have a large party cruising on the Orion and would like to put up a small (magnetic?) sign on each cabin door. Possibly a vinyl sign or something similar.

Anyone know what we can do or the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Check with Guest Services desk? Each cabin has a little sign next to the door showing the cabin number with a button for the door bell. Viking slips envelopes for you in the gap between the sign and the wall. Perhaps you could arrange to affix/hang a small discrete sign off that? The other "person" to contact is TellUs who would direct your question to the right place. (TellUs@VikingCruises.com)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How large is this group?

On our Grand France tour more than half the boat was taken over by an Australian car sales company. It was awful. They took over all the good spots on the boat and made us other passengers feel most uncomfortable.

Obviously the sea going vessels are much bigger but a large noisy group taking over the best seats in the bar or tables in the dining rooms would be very off putting.

How large is this group?

On our Grand France tour more than half the boat was taken over by an Australian car sales company. It was awful. They took over all the good spots on the boat and made us other passengers feel most uncomfortable.

Obviously the sea going vessels are much bigger but a large noisy group taking over the best seats in the bar or tables in the dining rooms would be very off putting.

Agree,! Not into tacky door signs either. Both give the feeling of mass market lines which Viking Ocean does not claim to be.

I have to agree. Magnets and the like aren't really Viking's style and I love that. We sail DCL as well and walking down the hallways always seem junkie because of the stuff people put up.

Totally agree. I think it makes an otherwise refined atmosphere appear tacky and cluttered. We were on DCL recently with our grandchildren and noticed the door decorations, too. Looked like a college dorm hallway. Also, seems like a fire hazard in addition to the tackiness.

Sorry to have to tell you but they are fairly prolific on the Sun on World Cruise. :eek: Not our cabin.;p

Artifact of such a long cruise? Four months, right? What are they for? Just to personalize things? Or so that groups can find each other? When I've visited folks at these huge retirement communities, personalizing/decorating the area outside your apartment is quite common. Also, it seems to be the popular thing to do in some apartment complexes where nobody is worried about things being stolen (eg our son's old apartment in Madison, Wisconsin). When I lived in an apartment many moons ago I would never have dared decorating outside my door with doormats or small sculptures such as I saw in Madison. Esp when I had to go to extraordinary measures just to keep my newspaper from being swiped by I never knew for sure who but suspect a neighbor.

Edited by CharTrav

Hey, don't blame me. I am just answering what others have posted based on what I see. If you like stuff on your door, go for it. As far as i know, no Viking rule against it.:cool:

Actually I don't. I was just ruminating on why folks do it.

So does this mean I should leave my palm tree stickers and inflatable flamingo at home? [emoji12]

Well yes, but only because you aren't going to palm tree/flamingo country. You need something Mediterranean and trade route-y? Maybe a three masted schooner or the like?

Well yes, but only because you aren't going to palm tree/flamingo country. You need something Mediterranean and trade route-y? Maybe a three masted schooner or the like?

Good point.

I know — in honor of Viking inexplicably cancelling the Alhambra excursion, I’ll put up a giant poster of that palace and drape it with black crepe paper. [emoji48]

Good point.

I know — in honor of Viking inexplicably cancelling the Alhambra excursion, I’ll put up a giant poster of that palace and drape it with black crepe paper. [emoji48]

My favorite tourist destination. I would be disappointed as well but if it has been canceled, it wasn't on a whim.

Some put decorations up so they know their room. I discovered something (kind of a secret) there are numbers that are unique to each room. Neither help if you’re on the wrong level :evilsmile:

You are writing tongue in cheek, right? It's no secret at all. Room numbers include the deck level as the first digit. [emoji849]

When I first started crusing it took me awhile to figure out starboard and port!:)

My BIL told be port and left same # of letters. Look toward the front of the ship and port is on your lelft.

As to door decorations, I never understood why anyone would do this on a cruise ship , hotel or resort.

If the secret number's even (0, 2, 4, 6 . . ) you are on the port side. If it's odd (1, 3, 5 etc) you are on the starboard side. Hope this helps!

:(Only if I can see those numbers from where I am standing, otherwise I have to use the both have 4 letters secret -- and even then I have to make sure I haven't confused my rights and lefts.

If the secret number's even (0, 2, 4, 6 . . ) you are on the port side. If it's odd (1, 3, 5 etc) you are on the starboard side. Hope this helps!

Well, they do have helpful signage pointing towards the odd and even numbered cabins by the elevators/stairs and then arrows pointing toward room sequence numbers. So no need to stress if you're like a good friend of mine who is left/right hand "challenged". Made for some hilarious car trips when we were in college regardless of who was driving or giving/taking directions. [emoji2]