Multiple apps with SDP - Anyone ever actually charged?

KeithJenner

A very regular discussion on this board is regarding the restrictions on what is covered in speciality restaurants if you have the SDP.

Pretty well every such discussion is almost identical. The restrictions as per the T&Cs (limit 1 entree) are stated, and then some people come along to say that they were restricted to just one app or dessert when onboard.

One thing which, as far as I can tell, is always missing is a report of anyone actually being charged for multiple apps/desserts. There have definitely been reports of people who have ignored what they were told, ordered multiples, and then were not charged. In fact, a number of people on here state that they just ignore what they are told, order what they want, and don't get charged.

Based on this, I am almost certain that the final bill is produced automatically, and follows the actual terms of the package, so allows multiple apps without charge. However, for whatever reason (whether misunderstanding or from instruction) the servers often incorrectly tell people that the restriction exists.

Has anybody ever actually been charged for multiple apps or desserts when using the SDP? I have asked on a few threads and have yet to find anyone stating that they have, but I thought I would specifically ask the question in a separate thread.

I am not talking about the latitudes meal. We know that the restriction is often (but not always) implemented when using that.

We have never been actually charged for multiples apps with the SDP. And that’s with at least 15 cruises using the package. As you point out, the Latitudes meal operates differently but, even then, I don’t think we’ve been charged but do tell the server that we’re aware that they’re supposed to charge for extras. Caveat: this applies only to multiple apps. We’ve never ordered multiple desserts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Terms and Conditions of the SDP mention nothing about the number of apps/desserts/sides you are allowed to order. The only thing they mention is that any extra entrees will incur a charge. So besides entrees, there is technically no limit to the number of things you can order.

We never have (pretty sure husband has ordered more than one app here and there). But, we've all had the SDP, either as a promo (husband and I) or as a purchased package (our son). I do distinctly remember being told at Cagney's on the Escape that there was no limit on sides (that's all I asked about).

Now I am wondering if the notice is given about restrictions to tables of people that are mixed -- some have the SDP and some are ordering a la carte, so that the people with the SDP cannot order three apps, give them to their dining companions, and not be charged.

The Terms and Conditions of the SDP mention nothing about the number of apps/desserts/sides you are allowed to order. The only thing they mention is that any extra entrees will incur a charge. So besides entrees, there is technically no limit to the number of things you can order.

Yes, we know that. It’s not what I’m asking though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I am wondering if the notice is given about restrictions to tables of people that are mixed -- some have the SDP and some are ordering a la carte, so that the people with the SDP cannot order three apps, give them to their dining companions, and not be charged.

I’d be surprised if that was the case, as I’d have thought that was a fairly relatively uncommon situation and it seems that people are quite often being told that there is a restriction.

It’s possibly a factor though, I suppose.

We never have (pretty sure husband has ordered more than one app here and there). But, we've all had the SDP, either as a promo (husband and I) or as a purchased package (our son). I do distinctly remember being told at Cagney's on the Escape that there was no limit on sides (that's all I asked about).

No, not for us...our waiter first asked if we were all on the dining plan (6 of us) and we all said yes. He then proceeded to tell us that on the plan we can order 1 app, 1 entree and 1 dessert.

We were charged on the Escape. My daughter wanted the mushroom soup as well as warm goat cheese salad. When ordering, the waiter said no problem but we were charged for the less expensive soup @ $2.99.

We used our platinum benefit for two cover charges and paid the cover charge for the other three guests.

We were charged on the Escape. My daughter wanted the mushroom soup as well as warm goat cheese salad. When ordering, the waiter said no problem but we were charged for the less expensive soup @ $2.99.

We used our platinum benefit for two cover charges and paid the cover charge for the other three guests.

Platinum has different terms than the SDP. This post is asking about those with the SDP - if anyone has actually been charged.

I believe the only entree restrictions are in Cagneys and Le Be Bistro. This is the only mention in either the FAQ's or T&CS' for the SDP of any additional charges (not including the clearly mentioned uncharges for Ocean Blue, Sushi, ect):

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

There is no mention of limits or being charged for any additional apps, entrees or desserts in any other restaurants.

You sure wouldn't think it would be so difficult to get all the waitstaff on the same page and know the rules of the SDP.

I believe the only entree restrictions are in Cagneys and Le Be Bistro. This is the only mention in either the FAQ's or T&CS' for the SDP of any additional charges (not including the clearly mentioned uncharges for Ocean Blue, Sushi, ect):

There is no mention of limits or being charged for any additional apps, entrees or desserts in any other restaurants.

You sure wouldn't think it would be so difficult to get all the waitstaff on the same page and know the rules of the SDP.

The terms do mention that an extra entree will incur a charge...

Charges will apply for additional main course orders. - T&C

The terms do mention that an extra entree will incur a charge...

Charges will apply for additional main course orders. - T&C

Doh! I stand corrected. Thank your pointing that out. I can't believe I missed that. It's the very last sentence in the T&C section so it's not like it was buried in all the verbiage.

Two meals on the Escape in December under SDP....received the one of each category notice both times from different waiters.

Nope, we've (DW and I) or DW, kids, & I have had the SDP and been told pretty much after the waiter saying "hello" about restrictions.

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

If you read some statements from the various positions that they are trying to hire you will see several mentions of job responsibilities that center on "cost responsibility". If you are accountable for this as part of your job limiting food options would be one way to do that. Of course it should be part of their job but to what extent we don't know how much emphasis is placed on the focus.

Here is a Fleet Executive Chef one (closest I could find as of right now):

POSITION SUMMARY/ ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS

The Fleet Executive Chef is a corporate extension of the Culinary Operations. Assists with the culinary operation and development of all shipboard Food and Beverage team members, ensuring service standards are met, adherence to corporate policies and procedures, and standard operating procedures. Ensures that quality and costs are achieved and maintained within the targets established by the company. Financial/auditing reporting responsibilities to the Regional VP Hotel Operation with dotted line to Corporate Executive Chef Training and Operation. Provides general assistance to the Corporate Executive Chef’s. In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.

• Liaises with and assists the Sanitation supervisor in developing and implementing effective USPH training programs for galley operation, manuals and procedures for all food production personnel.
  • Establish and develop a highly motivated, pro-active culinary team with the highest ethical standards that delivers a cost effective and quality oriented service product.
  • Liaises with provision master and Executive Chef regarding availability, specifications, standard item lists and delivery logistics, as well as shipboard inventory levels, stock rotation and inter-ship transfers of stock overages when required.
  • Maintains constant communication with the Corporate Executive Chef Training & Operations shore side and Regional VP Hotel Operation in regards to maintaining standards, evaluation of product utilization, preservation, yield control and preparation.
  • Conducts sampling and testing of currently used and new recipe.
  • Oversee and assist with scheduling of onboard Provision Master same as scheduling of Executive Chefs.
  • Ensure that you are knowledgeable of the goals of the company and department and the action plans that will be followed to achieve these goals. Communicating these same goals as needed to the department.
  • Develop a positive working relationship with all shipboard departments to facilitate a team oriented atmosphere.
  • Ensure that all departments within F&B are working together as a team and supporting each other in a professional manner.
  • Complete daily walk-through of the culinary operation including provisions with the Executive Chef.
  • Ensure that all galley areas are maintained in accordance with Company policy, USPH, SMS and safety and environmental regulations, therefore must have in depth knowledge of these same areas.
  • Enforce cost control procedures and monitor waste and breakage.
  • Properly plan and prepare for events and cruises.
  • Assist with developing and maintaining par stocks for food product and equipment.
  • Monitor and audit food items delivered to the vessels that are in compliance with Company specifications.
  • Conducts Trip reports and discuss with senior F&B Management onboard before leaving the Vessel
  • Relief Executive Chefs in case of emergencies or Business needs
  • Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed.

Like you, Keith, I have seen lots of talk here that people are sometimes told about restrictions, but I have never seen anyone post about actually being charged for the extra appetizer or side under the SDP. And I do look for those posts.

Trying to pull this back on topic.

While we have never been told there is a limitation at ordering time, I have read here that people do enjoy multiple appetizers or desserts. I might give this an attempt on our next cruise because you know what, sometimes its just hard to decide...

But I will also add this, while NCL and its specialty restaurants does seem to hold back offering and doing (which is fine since we usually are in a food coma an hour after boarding), often in the MDR's and specialty restaurants we have enjoyed on other cruise lines, the wait staff is more than happy for you to sample multiple dishes, entrees included, and bring you things you mention you can't decide upon, just to make you happy and provide good service.

We can't eat that much food at any one time but we do enjoy sampling. ;)

Has anybody ever actually been charged for multiple apps or desserts when using the SDP? I have asked on a few threads and have yet to find anyone stating that they have, but I thought I would specifically ask the question in a separate thread.

Keith, We sail on NCL 4-5 times a year, getting the SDP free-at-sea promotions. And, maybe 1/3 the time have a waiter advise us of the 1+1+1 limits (2 sides at Cagney's). We always order what we want (extra apps) and are ready to pay for them (and take up the inconsistency of the restaurant policy with the hotel director as necessary). We have never been charged for the extra apps. Waits always just comp the extra apps to the SDP.

We don't do anything unreasonable, e.g., escargot, mussels and/or soup at Le Bistro.

And, for that matter, never had a waiter charge us for an over priced entree on a platinum plus meal.

This may be how you read it but the hotel directors on the ships don't read it that way.

Last week on the Getaway I was charged for the second app, at the price listed in the menu. They seem to be enforcing the rule on Getaway.

That’s interesting. You appear to be the only person to have actually been charged extra. Maybe you should get a prize. :)

It was definitely a SDP meal? Not platinum latitudes?

That’s interesting. You appear to be the only person to have actually been charged extra. Maybe you should get a prize. :)

It was definitely a SDP meal? Not platinum latitudes?

It was an SDP meal, and I noticed a number of people that changed orders after being told they would be charged.

It was an SDP meal, and I noticed a number of people that changed orders after being told they would be charged.

I think a lot of people do change their orders when told about the restrictions. That is one reason why there won’t be too many people who report not actually being charged, as many people never get round to actually testing it.

You do seem to have been unlucky though, as those few people who I have seen say that they have gone ahead and ordered anyway haven’t been charged, except for you.

You’ve gone and muddied the waters now. :)

If I ever were charged for extras, which I never had been, I’d have those charges removed pretty quickly. The terms are very clear, and I expect the ships to respect them.

Not only have I never been charged, but multiple times I’ve been encouraged to order whatever I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums