Do Azamara provide packed lunches?

Azamarajunkie

This is a question I’ve never considered before, but whilst planning some private tours for our October cruise it came across our minds that it may be helpful to have a packed lunch to avoid having to spend time in a lunchtime restaurant on a day tour. Especially as we want to make the most of our days in the Middle East.

Despite our cruising history with AZ , we’ve never done this other than take the odd boiled egg from the breakfast buffet to keep us going.

We were on a private tour of I think about 20 people, leaving early from the ship. The organiser of the tour arranged via the concierge for us all to have snack boxes. Don’t know how commonplace this is or how easy to organise

Steve, I don’t think they do. In my mind I think they have provided a snack lunch for one of the tours, but it was mostly pre-packed, I guess to satisfy food hygiene rules. All I’ve ever done for myself is to put some cookies from Mosaic in a couple of take out cups.

Phil

Good point about the cup from Mosaic Phil, when we took boiled eggs out with us on our Cuba tour they ended up a bit flat in our bag, easy to peel though:)

We were on a private tour of I think about 20 people, leaving early from the ship. The organiser of the tour arranged via the concierge for us all to have snack boxes. Don’t know how commonplace this is or how easy to organise

Good point, hadn’t thought of asking the concierge, I was thinking of asking our butler.

This is a question I’ve never considered before, but whilst planning some private tours for our October cruise it came across our minds that it may be helpful to have a packed lunch to avoid having to spend time in a lunchtime restaurant on a day tour. Especially as we want to make the most of our days in the Middle East.

Despite our cruising history with AZ , we’ve never done this other than take the odd boiled egg from the breakfast buffet to keep us going.

I have arranged with room service numerous times for a box lunch for delivery in the AM. It consists of a ham/ cheese/ turkey hoagie-style sandwich, cookie, potato chips and fruit. I always get two (despite asking for only one). I think they do offer choices on the sandwich filling. Other times I have made a smoked salmon sandwich at breakfast and they will plastic wrap.

Personally that is not something I’d do. It’s generally held that taking food items like meat, cheese and fresh fruit etc off a cruise ship is prohibited by the countries you visit. Whether or not you get caught is another matter. I certainly wouldn’t recommend doing it in Australia.

Phil

Personally that is not something I’d do. It’s generally held that taking food items like meat, cheese and fresh fruit etc off a cruise ship is prohibited by the countries you visit. Whether or not you get caught is another matter. I certainly wouldn’t recommend doing it in Australia.

Phil

I agree about Australia not allowing ANY food products to be taken off the ship, and I am not condoning any illegal activity. However in all European countries it is possible to take a box lunch. I have enjoyed my sandwich while people watching in many piazzas, in other ports have enjoyed a relaxing restaurant lunch, or returned to the ship for a late snack. Depends on my time, but a box lunch is a legal option in many ports.

We’ve certainly had a snack box provided by Azamara when on a ship’s tour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So have I and on Celebrity too, but this isn’t the issue. Boxed lunches provided by the cruiseline are prepackaged foods like muesli bars and crisps (potato chips), not fresh fruit, meats and cheese. This from the pages of Cruise Critic:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=1169

I guess you can try to do otherwise, but in the spirit of providing good information........

Phil

Like Phil, personally that is not something I’d do, but not for the same reason. We so look forward to trying different foods from the places we visit. I can eat the food offered on the ship anytime, but I wouldn't miss something regional from a locale we are visiting.

But that's just us.

Just ask. Be discrete. Maybe they will provide a solution.

...and apart from that I don't think I have ever needed to contemplate taking a packed lunch ashore. Maybe if going into a dessert or something like that. :cool::cool::cool:

Phil

In Australia the beagle patrols will not let you go away with it. Lovely dogs.

Ivi

I would not do this in many countries in any event as we would not have the right temperature conditions to keep food safe.

New Zealand is another country with gorgeous dogs greeting you every port. They react to anything

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
Currently on Journey and at every port the announcement is: Australia's biosecurity absolutely precludes taking any foodstuffs ashore.

In Australia yes, you'll get that (and relentlessly), you'll know the mantra off pat by the end of your trip. If you ever get to see a reality TV show called 'Border Security' you'll understand why. We have a large influx of Asian Nationals who attempt to bring in all sorts of untreated prohibited goods and foods stuffs which could cause the introductions of all sorts of 'pests' we don't need.

However as other posters have stated be discreet and ask at Guest Relations for the port you're going to. They will be able to advise as different rules apply to different countries/destinations. Enjoy your Journey, my DH will be onboard with you in Cairns tomorrow night.

Thank you for the good wishes, Aussie travel bird.

We are SO enjoying this east coast of Australia cruise! Understand the worries about "pests." Have been learning much about Australia's resident fauna (not pests, surely...) and are thinking that what doesn't maul us, bite us, sting us, or simply make a meal of us must be a successful survivor and worthy of a photo : )

Cheers,

Teri