Thoughts on going from RC Oasis of the Seas to Carnival Miracle?

The only thing that would keep me from booking the Miracle is her lack of upgrades. The size doesn’t bother me (obviously since I’ve sailed smaller), but I’m one of those cruisers that really loves Guys and Blue Iguana:D

I do, however, agree with jsglow that we probably won’t ever sail the mega RCL ships only for the reasons they stated.

I wouldn't do it but that's just me. We generally cruise for the ship. We have been on Allure, Escape, Dream, Explorer which at the given time we cruised were all the biggest each line had to offer. I think you would be let down if Oasis has been your only cruise. Carnival design and decor is also much different the RC. You are a Floridian so you are lucky your cruise options are endless. I would try a dream class ship if you have some carnival credit.

The Miracle is a great ship. I love the Oasis class and it beats anything Carnival has. The itinerary would be a huge factor. Oasis class offers a far better ship experience (wow factor) but it's also nice being on a small ship like a Spirit class.

The only thing that would keep me from booking the Miracle is her lack of upgrades. The size doesn’t bother me (obviously since I’ve sailed smaller), but I’m one of those cruisers that really loves Guys and Blue Iguana:D

I do, however, agree with jsglow that we probably won’t ever sail the mega RCL ships only for the reasons they stated.

Yessss! This is something I had not realized when I originally inquired. I'm kind of a taco/burrito connoisseur (not really, but I'd like to be) and I think missing out on this would stink. And Guy's! These seem like two staple things that help make the Carnival experience what it is. But, also, it sounds silly to pay several hundred dollars more for bbq and tacos... Haha.

The Miracle is a great ship. I love the Oasis class and it beats anything Carnival has. The itinerary would be a huge factor. Oasis class offers a far better ship experience (wow factor) but it's also nice being on a small ship like a Spirit class.

Right. The one thing that annoys (albeit is understandable) me about RC is the lack of cruises that hit 4 ports. Or, if you're doing 3 ports on an Oasis-class, your itinerary probably includes Nassau, Cozumel, or Costa Maya (all ick to me). Welp.

Ive been on one RCL cruise and 1 Carnival Cruise, and it just so happens they were on the Oasis and Miracle.

In short, unless you have to have rock climbing, ice skating and ziplining onboard you will have a good time on the Miracle.

The Miracle is older and some of the decor is godawful, but for us that has no impact on our enjoyment of the cruise. The comedy shows are second to none, there are several fun bars to spend time at and a descent variety of food options on board.

DW gets motion sick and she found there to be no difference between the ships (didnt have an issue on either one).

While I wouldn’t seek out a cruise on the Miracle, I would say save the money, make it easier on you, and enjoy the Miracle cruise.

This may be a minor point to some, but to others it could be a deal breaker. Carnival has a different type balcony door than Royal. They are not sliders and do have a tendency to bang when closed if not held. A 7 day cruise will probably not be bad, as long as those on either side of you aren’t in and out every minute while you are trying to relax.

But I do love the Spirit class ships. Very easy to find your way around.

I haven't been on Miracle yet, but started looking into it for a December cruise. I've got it narrowed down to Breeze, Magic and Miracle. It's only 35 minutes to the Tampa port and I have yet to cruise from there. Even after cruising on the Vista in May, I like the setup on the Magic better. My vote is for Magic!

I have been on both the Allure and the Oasis. Just got off the Miracle on Sunday. We chose the Miracle this time because the cost of taking 4 adult kids with us was much more reasonable. That being said, we all wished we were back on Allure/Oasis. We never felt like the buffet on the Allure/Oasis was crowded. On the Miracle I wanted to give up eating because of the terribly long lines. We stayed on the 8th deck on the Miracle and I never felt like our room stopped vibrating. Never felt the boat moving on the Allure/Oasis. Can't wait to get back to RCCL!

This is a great perspective! You're right. If we don't try a little bit of everything, then where's the fun in that? I guess my main worry is that I'll get seasick on the smaller boat, and then won't be able to enjoy anything at all. :o
My adult daughters get extremely sea sick, even car sick! We took ginger pills (ginger root) for them and they never got sick at all! First day a couple in the morning and one at night, unless more was needed. You can take them every 4 hours as needed. They only took one at night and one in the morning and did great! They are hooked on cruising now with 5 cruises and more scheduled!:):)

My adult daughters get extremely sea sick, even car sick! We took ginger pills (ginger root) for them and they never got sick at all! First day a couple in the morning and one at night, unless more was needed. You can take them every 4 hours as needed. They only took one at night and one in the morning and did great! They are hooked on cruising now with 5 cruises and more scheduled!:):)

Awww, yay! That’s a fantastic idea. Do you remember if they could feel the ship “sway” at all? I could feel even Oasis swaying when I was on lower floors, so that’s why I’m kinda worried. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Awww, yay! That’s a fantastic idea. Do you remember if they could feel the ship “sway” at all? I could feel even Oasis swaying when I was on lower floors, so that’s why I’m kinda worried. Haha.

Yes, they always feel the swaying as they are super sensitive to motion, I dont feel is as much. But with the ginger pills it didn't bother them, they actually were joking about it hahahaha So I think you will do great with the ginger pills and actually forget about the motion :)

The Breeze is a great ship, I'm Diamond on RCCL and we've been leaning toward Carnival lately because of the value. The Breeze is the ship that sold me on Carnival and it's similar in size to the Freedom Class, which is my favorite that Royal has to offer. I went from the Freedom of the Seas to the Carnival Fantasy as my first cruise on Carnival and it was fine. Neither my wife or I felt movement and it was a great trip. You'll have a fantastic trip on the Breeze or Magic. Hope this helps.

Any of the pills will not help you not feel the sway. They're to help you not feel sick from the sway. And as to what to use, I can't recommend highly enough using Bonine. Over the counter and great stuff.

Any of the pills will not help you not feel the sway. They're to help you not feel sick from the sway. And as to what to use, I can't recommend highly enough using Bonine. Over the counter and great stuff.

I took Bonine and Dramamine every day on the Oasis and was still feeling “meh”! Going to add in ginger pills to the mix this time and cross my fingers.

Update: My husband’s family found a decent deal on Allure of the Seas September sailing... so it’s back to RC! We have a $400 Carnival credit, though, so we’ll make it on one of the ships soon enough! I’m feeling at ease of going back on a huge ship. I think the Miracle would be fine entertainment wise, but I have a sneaking suspicion I wouldn’t be feeling too well.

Thank you everyone for your help! I very much appreciate it. :)

Update: My husband’s family found a decent deal on Allure of the Seas September sailing... so it’s back to RC! We have a $400 Carnival credit, though, so we’ll make it on one of the ships soon enough! I’m feeling at ease of going back on a huge ship. I think the Miracle would be fine entertainment wise, but I have a sneaking suspicion I wouldn’t be feeling too well.

You will have a great time either way. The motion on the ship depends on the weather, calm or rough seas, and time of year. The official hurricane season for the Atlantic Basin (the Atlantic Ocean, the Caribbean Sea, and the Gulf of Mexico)is from 1 June to 30 November. The peak of the season is from mid-August to late October. So during these times you might feel motion on any ship :) Have a great time!

As a carnival cruiser I have to say .....There is absolutely no comparison between these two ships! Royals Oasis class ships are the bomb ! We sailed Allure in 2016 and I’m hooked! We did sail the Glory this year and yes she’s an older ship but I’ll probably never sail on Carnival again. I always rolled my eyes at the whole Royal / Carnival, who’s better but Royal has it going on, they’ve kept up with the times as Carnival is old and stale. I did sail the Breeze when she was new but once again it’s the same old same old with Carnival

Can’t go wrong on the Oasis !

I took Bonine and Dramamine every day on the Oasis and was still feeling “meh”! Going to add in ginger pills to the mix this time and cross my fingers.

use bonine only. there's no side effects. Dramamine has some side effects on how you feel.

btw, I've cruised a lot and feel the smaller ships rock less. they seem to cut through the water better.

A lot of times that is all in your head.

My wife for the first few cruises we did she always got the patch and told everybody how she never got sick with the patch.

I always countered with, how do you know you wouldn't have gotten sick without it?

I finally got her to try a cruise without it. 33 cruises later has not been sick once.

Bill

Take a moment to crunch some numbers. Ships tonnage divided by total Passengers. The larger the number the less crowded the ship will feel. I have not sailed on any RCL ship. The Spirit class ships on Carnival win this battle.

Take a moment to crunch some numbers. Ships tonnage divided by total Passengers. The larger the number the less crowded the ship will feel. I have not sailed on any RCL ship. The Spirit class ships on Carnival win this battle.
What were the numbers when you crunched them to declare the spirit class ships the winner?

Bill

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

This all has a lot to do with your own preferences and here on Cruise Critic you will find people who would never go on Carnival because they don't like it, but just as many who would only go on Carnival because they love it. Of course they have no ships comparable to Oasis at the moment.

In general, if you liked the first cruise, and think you'd like another cruise, then you most likely will. If you are the kind of person who does not sweat the small stuff and who lets the occasional hiccups of a vacation roll off them, you will like this ship just fine. There are many aspects of Carnival that are common throughout the line so that the experience is not so different from ship to ship.

I can only tell you what I would do in your situation - if I still lived in Florida my family would be taking the cheapest cruises we could find so we could do it multiple times per year. We would not really be influenced by the logo on the ship but just the cost. More cruises are better for us. I would, in the Kmom fantasy world, like to cruise exactly one time on every flippin' ship on the planet.

Our most recent was Oasis and like you we really enjoyed it, but surprisingly some experienced cruisers do not, and prefer smaller ships. Even so, there were minor things we prefer with Carnival over Royal Caribbean and vice versa, but none of them trump the things that really matter to us which are:

1. When we can travel - have a 12 year old in public school

2. How easy to get to port / cost of flights if applicable

3. Weather - Husband and daughter don't like the heat so Caribbean only during Christmas break or Spring Break.

4. Cost - we work for a living. If possible I look for $100 pp/per day before taxes, fees, and gratuities, and then take into account that some cruises have massive port fees (Alaska, for example). And then we spend more on WiFi and many other things onboard.

In the end only you know if the cruise looks like something you think you will enjoy. If you know it's not what you're looking for, then don't bother. If you are salivating looking at the website and thinking . . . . we could literally leave home and be onboard in one hour, gimme gimme, then hurry up and book it, and have another fantastic vacation on the water.