"2 pieces of personal luggage"--how strict and what does this mean?

cruisegal415

I see that NCL allows "two pieces of personal luggage per person." How strict are they about this? Does this include the items we carry on? Or is that just for the items that we drop off with the porter?

Usually DH and I have one suitcase each, and than usually when we fly, a carry on with our medicines, personal items that we don't want to risk losing, for him CPAP machine, for me, all my makeup lol, and because airlines allow one carry on and one personal item, I usually also take along a very large (Vera Bradley large size) tote bag that I put all kinds of other stuff in, (kindle, iPad, extra glasses, etc).

We are not flying because we live an hour from the port, so we're not restricted on what we bring due to airline regulations. But I would envision (I'm still packing) taking our one suitcase each with our clothes, our one "carry on" size bag with our personal items, and I have a beach bag with all our beach stuff that I would prefer to bring on in addition to the tote bag. Usually the first day, since the rooms aren't ready and they don't deliver the suitcases until later, we like to have our small carry ons with us with our important personal items, and I'll also want a tote bag to lug around my small electronics and maybe some sunscreen, a hat, etc. I would prefer to check my beach bag and just take the one carry on with me on board along with my large tote.

So I guess the question is, can we check more than one suitcase each? Would a beach bag be allowed to be checked and is that going to be counted against the two pieces of personal luggage per person? Are we restricted to two pieces per person total, including a tote bag or the carry on that we bring with us when we board? What has your experience been?

I see that NCL allows "two pieces of personal luggage per person." How strict are they about this? Does this include the items we carry on? Or is that just for the items that we drop off with the porter?

Usually DH and I have one suitcase each, and than usually when we fly, a carry on with our medicines, personal items that we don't want to risk losing, for him CPAP machine, for me, all my makeup lol, and because airlines allow one carry on and one personal item, I usually also take along a very large (Vera Bradley large size) tote bag that I put all kinds of other stuff in, (kindle, iPad, extra glasses, etc).

We are not flying because we live an hour from the port, so we're not restricted on what we bring due to airline regulations. But I would envision (I'm still packing) taking our one suitcase each with our clothes, our one "carry on" size bag with our personal items, and I have a beach bag with all our beach stuff that I would prefer to bring on in addition to the tote bag. Usually the first day, since the rooms aren't ready and they don't deliver the suitcases until later, we like to have our small carry ons with us with our important personal items, and I'll also want a tote bag to lug around my small electronics and maybe some sunscreen, a hat, etc. I would prefer to check my beach bag and just take the one carry on with me on board along with my large tote.

So I guess the question is, can we check more than one suitcase each? Would a beach bag be allowed to be checked and is that going to be counted against the two pieces of personal luggage per person? Are we restricted to two pieces per person total, including a tote bag or the carry on that we bring with us when we board? What has your experience been?

The cruse line does not care how many pieces you check or carry. The porters will accept as many bags as you want (for a small tip). You can store 4 good size suitcases under your beds. Remember that for the airlines, all liquids and gels must be 3 oz or less and all must fit in one quart size ziplock each (wrt makeup and lotions).

The cruse line does not care how many pieces you check or carry. The porters will accept as many bags as you want (for a small tip). You can store 4 good size suitcases under your beds. Remember that for the airlines, all liquids and gels must be 3 oz or less and all must fit in one quart size ziplock each (wrt makeup and lotions).

Thanks. We’re driving to the port which is about an hour away. I assume there’s no limit on liquids and gels for the ship, never had to worry about that before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I assume there’s no limit on liquids

No "liquids" other than wine allowed; no water; spirits, sugar water or squashes at all; and the wine will be charged corkage of $15 per 750ml.

No beverages other than wine are allowed. Plenty of other liquids are fine. Sunscreen, mouth wash, makeup, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best that your luggage have WHEELS to handle more easily for your own use and the porters and ships crew.

Heavy stuff - plan to tip an extra bill.

Just don't plan on doing any walk-off when leaving the ship to catch the flight home (but then you live near the

port so no worry here).

Leave the Titanic steamer trunks at home and the kitchen sink too.

Plan carefully to NOT overstress your own back and body making the cruise something less enjoyable !

Plenty of storage room under your cabin bed for the empty suitcases (of reasonable size).

You don't have to worry about the airline carriage rules about liquids but you do have to worry about NCL's

liquid rules of no water - booze has to be wine with a corkage fee applied. Keep reading others will have

more hints ideas and suggestions to help.

seen a lot of people with a lot more luggage than you are talking about. I am guessing, until the day the cruise lines start announcing restrictions we will continue to see people bringing their entire wardrobe on.

I managed to get it into two suitcases, two of those carry ons that fit under an airline seat that we will carry on (wheel on), one duffle, and one tote that will have electronics, hats, sunscreen etc for the first afternoon. Whew! The liquid question was for my various hair products. Not being limited to airline sizes I’d prefer bringing slightly larger — since I’ll be in the ocean every day, I’ll need lots of hair products! I try not to bring my entire closet lol since this isn’t our first rodeo I know what to expect space wise. Mostly packing sun screen and straws. 🤪

Sent from my iPad using Forums