complaints about food

ABQrobin

I have got to say, we were pleased overall with the food on our cruise last week.

HOWEVER, we did hear some people complain that it wasn't very good.... these were the same people who we watched order "chicken fingers with french fries" as their entree in MDR or order 2 appetizers, a main course, then 2 or 3 desserts per person. Two different couples on different nights... but really! The same couple laughed when my husband ordered the Steakhouse steak... said the $20 upcharge was ridiculous, but my husband said it was fantastic and worth every cent.

Yes, the buffet food is typical buffet food. Getting there 2 hours after it was set up for the meal, of course some stuff was cold. We heard one couple complain about this at dinner one day... they missed dinner in the MDR (9:30pm, imagine that) so they went down to the buffet and amazingly the food was blaaahhh and cold. Wow.... really?

As far as the breakfast buffet went, we found some food we liked and stayed with that for the week. The scrambled eggs were bland, so I went for the hard boiled eggs which were excellent, still hot and cooked perfectly. The omelette station always had a line but we found they used too much oil for us, so we only did it once. We could have asked them to dump the oil and only use spray, but as I said, the hard boiled eggs were perfect. I like oatmeal, and they had it every day with lots of fixins. I was happy. There was also tons of fresh fruit, bananas apples grapefruits canteloupes, etc. Yogurt in all flavors, yes please! And the bacon.... well, people went for it like they have never eaten bacon before. If you watched the staff cleaning off tables you would see that I bet half of it was wasted. Sad.

Lunch --- our favorites by far were the Tandoor (really really good Indian food out on back deck by that pool) and the Mongollian Wok (my husband' favorite). We did the salad bar buffet also a few days for lunch and found it to be well stocked.

It was amazing to see some people standing in line at the burger/hotdog station and pizza station every day, seemed like the same people.

The Chocolate Extravaganza... yeah, we tried it. Okay, but we both felt ill afterwards as we just ate too much chocolate. (We ate salad bar for that lunch to save calories). Next cruise I think we will skip this indulgence.

So... JUST MY OPINION... there is really good food, and really great food available. In the MDR dinner, I ate the grilled salmon twice (it was delicious and moist) as well as usually the "healthy" option each night. I love fish, so if there was a grilled fish I ordered it. My husband went for foods he usually doesn't get at home, like lamb or shortribs. He enjoyed all of them. The only real disappointments we had were the diet desserts that were pretty bland. I was even able to turn down dessert a few nights. My husbands favorite dessert was the choc melty cake and mine was the bitter & blanc. Both had a zillion calories but we splurged.

I am sure my comments may irritate some people, but they are my opinion. If you think the food on Carnival ships is bad, then you weren't ordering the right thing. Overall, we really enjoyed the food.

I agree the food on Carnival is very good. I never have trouble finding something to choose and the food that I have had is very good.

There is such a variety to choose from in the different venues that I think the people that complain just aren't looking or are just complaining to hear themselves talk.

I have been sailing with Carnival since 2003 and yes the food has changed, but I still find it to be very good. Carnival has also added more options and venues and that is a good change.:cool:

On our last cruise we were basically happy with the MDR selections, the Steakhouse, and the brunch. I loved Tandoor as well. But the breakfast buffet was pretty bland and the scrambled eggs were so awful my husband became convinced that they were powdered eggs. I am glad to hear about the hard boiled eggs. I will look for those this time. I think the food is good, as long as you steer clear of the main buffet...

On our last cruise we were basically happy with the MDR selections, the Steakhouse, and the brunch. I loved Tandoor as well. But the breakfast buffet was pretty bland and the scrambled eggs were so awful my husband became convinced that they were powdered eggs. I am glad to hear about the hard boiled eggs. I will look for those this time. I think the food is good, as long as you steer clear of the main buffet...

They ARE powdered eggs. Yuck. I agree with all of you. They are so disgusting. I also get the hard boiled eggs and oatmeal....fresh fruit, yogurt. I am NOT a health food nut, but I always stay away from bacon, sausage...ALL high salt content breakfast foods. FEET SWELL....lol

I have never had a problem with the food on Carnival. They have a great deal of variety to choose from, and there should not be a problem finding something that is good to eat and enjoyable. I think the people who complain about the food are just going with unreasonable expectations. They want gourmet or 5 star food at Carnival prices, and that is just not going to happen.

And for those who complain about the buffet selections and temperature of the food, there are other options available that are freshly made right in front of you ie, deli etc. As someone above said, some people complain because they like to hear themselves.

Food taste is SO subjective, that when I write cruise reviews, I usually shy away from commenting on it. I will comment about quality and freshness, but not taste.

IMHO, some people may truly have discerning palates and may know what fine cuisine should taste like. On the other end of the spectrum, some people may mainly eat burgers, chicken fingers, pizza and fries at home, and when they are faced with food outside of their comfort zone, they may find it completely unappealing.

Whatever the case is, I think that Carnival does a pretty good job covering most bases. From the more upscale experience at the Steakhouse, down to the pizza and burger joint, there should be something for most of Carnival's clientele.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've always liked Carnival's food. I have to admit that Royal Caribbean edges out slightly in the MDR(escargot every night?!?!?!?!), but overall, its pans out in the end. I think Carnival wins out on the steakhouse though. However, as i said, its slight, and taken as a whole, they are both good and it balances out overall.

I have got to say, we were pleased overall with the food on our cruise last week.

HOWEVER, we did hear some people complain that it wasn't very good.... these were the same people who we watched order "chicken fingers with french fries" as their entree in MDR or order 2 appetizers, a main course, then 2 or 3 desserts per person. Two different couples on different nights... but really! The same couple laughed when my husband ordered the Steakhouse steak... said the $20 upcharge was ridiculous, but my husband said it was fantastic and worth every cent.

Yes, the buffet food is typical buffet food. Getting there 2 hours after it was set up for the meal, of course some stuff was cold. We heard one couple complain about this at dinner one day... they missed dinner in the MDR (9:30pm, imagine that) so they went down to the buffet and amazingly the food was blaaahhh and cold. Wow.... really?

As far as the breakfast buffet went, we found some food we liked and stayed with that for the week. The scrambled eggs were bland, so I went for the hard boiled eggs which were excellent, still hot and cooked perfectly. The omelette station always had a line but we found they used too much oil for us, so we only did it once. We could have asked them to dump the oil and only use spray, but as I said, the hard boiled eggs were perfect. I like oatmeal, and they had it every day with lots of fixins. I was happy. There was also tons of fresh fruit, bananas apples grapefruits canteloupes, etc. Yogurt in all flavors, yes please! And the bacon.... well, people went for it like they have never eaten bacon before. If you watched the staff cleaning off tables you would see that I bet half of it was wasted. Sad.

Lunch --- our favorites by far were the Tandoor (really really good Indian food out on back deck by that pool) and the Mongollian Wok (my husband' favorite). We did the salad bar buffet also a few days for lunch and found it to be well stocked.

It was amazing to see some people standing in line at the burger/hotdog station and pizza station every day, seemed like the same people.

The Chocolate Extravaganza... yeah, we tried it. Okay, but we both felt ill afterwards as we just ate too much chocolate. (We ate salad bar for that lunch to save calories). Next cruise I think we will skip this indulgence.

So... JUST MY OPINION... there is really good food, and really great food available. In the MDR dinner, I ate the grilled salmon twice (it was delicious and moist) as well as usually the "healthy" option each night. I love fish, so if there was a grilled fish I ordered it. My husband went for foods he usually doesn't get at home, like lamb or shortribs. He enjoyed all of them. The only real disappointments we had were the diet desserts that were pretty bland. I was even able to turn down dessert a few nights. My husbands favorite dessert was the choc melty cake and mine was the bitter & blanc. Both had a zillion calories but we splurged.

I am sure my comments may irritate some people, but they are my opinion. If you think the food on Carnival ships is bad, then you weren't ordering the right thing. Overall, we really enjoyed the food.

I disagree about the buffet in the evening. I believe that as long as food is being served and the buffet is open, it should be served at the right temperature. Hot food should be hot.

I agree about the omelets being too oily. I tried an omelet once and never went back. I don't think cruise ship food (any cruise line) in general is very good.

We really liked the food on our last cruise. We were on the Liberty which has the new American Table/American Feast. My only complaint is it seems to take so much longer than our other cruises with the old menus. I am not sure why, but, like I said, the food was fine.

I just commented on another post regarding my recent Magic trip and the food. We enjoyed it this time around but it was awful in September 2013. Same menu so I don't know what the difference was.

We all know food taste are subjective. So like Tapi I don't like to comment much about the taste. I will however comment about another thread that a poster was complaining about the breakfast buffet always having the same food. Maybe it is my lack of sophistication but truly there really are not that many breakfast foods and I could find almost all of them at one place or another. Pancakes, waffle or French toast were all there just in different lines. Same with oatmeal and at least one other hot cereal. Bacon and at least one other protein/meat. Eggs several ways. Like I said they are all there just in different places.

My DH will eat just about anything so no worries with him. I am more "picky" but can always find something I like. Not a big egg eater so I stay away from that. Normally just fruit and yogurt for breakfast. Or the brunch if it's being served (I will eat eggs there - steak and eggs or eggs Benedict).

I have never eaten from the lunch or dinner buffet so can't really comment. Buffets in general are not appealing to me (don't really like food other people have picked over). I do love the salad bar and the tuna sandwich from the deli. And one cruise I ate Rubens the entire time for some reason.

In the main dinning room, some nights are better than others. Sometimes I just have appetizers and no main course. But always dessert. And last cruise tried the Mexican buffet for the first time - I was the second person in line so everything was "fresh".:D

Definitely not gourmet food but I'm not cooking and cleaning and always find something I like so no complaining here!

Kim

I also think that the new bevy of dining options make it kind of impossible to be unable to find ANYTHING to eat. There's pizza, sandwiches, Indian, Italian, and BBQ for lunch. And since I don't really like the breakfast buffet, we hit up the dining room for brunch or breakfast. We just steer clear of the 'scrambled eggs'. :p

Here's a weird question for you.... Does anyone know if I can get access to liquid egg whites (pasteurized) on the ship? I tend to drink my breakfast: 1 cup egg whites, 1.5 cups almond milk (or skim dairy), and sugar free nesquik. As gross as it sounds, it tastes like whole chocolate milk and is a great start to the day.

I have always been able to find meals I enjoy on Carnival ships. I think honestly some people either just like to complain, or expect 5 star restaurant quality every single meal. It's just all about what you expect.

Are the meals on Carnival the best meals I have ever had? Heck no. But I have had some really delicious meals on the ships and I really can't complain.

I have also had some stuff that I have told my husband "remind me not to order that again." But you know what? I'm not going on the cruise expecting to love everything and it to all be 5 star quality.

I have never found a lack of something to eat on any cruise ship. People have to realize they are feeding thousands of customers and in a limited timeframe. We always eat in the MDR and like trying new items that we don't have at home. Breakfast has a wide variety at the buffet, some good some not. I don't like the scrambled eggs so I never have them, my DH eats them every day, it's a matter of individual taste. I refuse to eat at the pay restaurants, encouraging them to charge for your food only adds more expense to the cruise for what was formerly included and they will only continue to add more and lessen the quality elsewhere. Bottom line is we love to cruise and will always find something to eat.

On our last two cruises (Breeze & Sunshine), my only trip to Lido Buffet was one day to get sandwich at Deli. We've found:

Breakfast - best at MDR, especially Sea Day Brunch.

Lunch - Guy's, Cucino de Capitano, Blue Igauna & Deli.

Dinner - MDR, Steakhouse, Cucino de Capitano.

These provided the best meals we've ever had on any of our cruises.

(Don't forget the ice cream ;))

I really don't get the food complainers. I have cruised most major cruise lines and find the food virtually the same with carnival being slightly better.

We always opt for the MDR whenever offered and try to use the buffet for lunch or a quick breakfast. It is what it is. A buffet trying to please 2000 people.

But seriously with the egg complaints. For heavens sake, get something else and move on. A bowl of cereal, a plate of bacon , ice cream.

I have yet to see anyone look like they are going to starve.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I cruised last week too, and although the food was overall pretty good, it has most definitely declined in quality since our last cruise, and the food is pretty inconsistent as well. I ordered 2 lobster tails, and while the 1st one as delicious, the 2nd one was just OK. I ordered pork that was really good, but my husband's was wayyyyyy overcooked and dry. I certainly did not go hungry all week though! lol

I really don't get the food complainers. I have cruised most major cruise lines and find the food virtually the same with carnival being slightly better.

I hope that you're not seriously suggesting that Carnival has better food than Celebrity or HAL, much less any of the so-called luxury lines such as Seabourn or Crystal.

I really like Carnival's product (I was on Glory 3 weeks ago and am going back on her this Saturday), but food just is not Carnival's strong point. In fact, I've been sailing on Carnival for exactly 30 years now (my first CCL cruise was on Mardi Gras in 1984), and food has never been Carnival's strong suit.