For those of you that think of moving on to Viking

jabrown40

As a Celebrity cruiser, my excitement for my first Viking Ocean cruise next month is growing. it will be my first TA from San Juan to Barcelona. Love that I will be able to use the laundry room on each passenger cabin deck. They even have irons! So I can bring a 7 day wardrobe that will be fine for my 3.5 week vacation. I look forward to the resident historian lectures each day and small group conversation with them on board. Included wifi for all is a nice touch . I will be doing a live thread on this cruise.

But the biggest draw for me is the ship design. They have more al fresco dining than any ship. In the common space are floor to ceiling glass walls, many sliders, so one always have a view of the sky or sea and no heavy draped windows or portholes.

I loved the Sunset bar area on all my Celebrity sailings. So I am looking forward to the same open area on the Viking. In addition, they have a two story Exploration lounge at the front of the ship with fabluous bar, comfortable furnishings and a Scandiavaen deli for breakfast, lunch, and late night snacks while star gazing.:hearteyes:

"Three degrees" and a scooter blocking part of a hallway doesn't strike you as a potential safety hazard? You may want to research the interpretation of "SOLAS II-2/13 Means of Escape."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excuse me, but his degrees are from prestigious universities. I am only four years younger than his Mother, and I thank God (in some countries this would be frowned on) that thus far I have escaped a wheelchair. I make it a point not to associate with people who do not want my company, especially when there are other choices available. I just left a cruise ship on which scooters were in abundance. I do wonder how they would pass each other in the narrow passageways on most ships, as getting by them on foot can be a tight fit.

If I were King, I would allow people on scooters but banish men who wear baseball caps indoors.

Edited by BosoxI

Thank you to the OP, for your nicely written account of Viking. Like some others, the aspects that are not working for you, are just what we want (aged 58 and 64). I look forward even more to booking our first Viking cruise. :)

Safety isn’t the primary consideration here, and we both know it. Viking aspires to be an elite cruise line, one that doesn’t require its cruisers to vacation with people for whom they obviously have great disdain. I hope they invent a vaccine for your return to reality.

That's patently ridiculous. Anyone who uses a scooter can still use a wheelchair and book any Viking cruise. The prohibition pertaining to motorized scooters doesn't restrict anyone from booking a cruise. However, it does make the ship safer for all passengers in the event of an emergency.

Your rude last sentence says a lot about you. I guess you need a fourth degree (like I and many others on CC have [emoji56]).

And not a fourth degree from just any university; it must be from a prestigious university!

This post is a perfect example of people booking without truly understanding what they are getting. Viking has been very clear on the vibe and feel of what they wanted for these ships, and have been very open in explaining that in their press and digital statings. These ships are the ocean version of their river cruise. The experience is the actual cruise unlike most American geared lines. I personally love these ships. It is nice not to have the constant noise and harping about the next sale going on. While we still sail Royal and Celebrity, we find ourselves more and more moving our cruise dollar over to the smaller lines including Viking. For those of us who truly enjoy a more authentic experience, it is worth a look. For those who don't this is simply not the line for you. Happy sailing.

I mustn’t have been concentrating. When did the number of degrees held by posters become significant here?

Some of the smartest and most successful people that I know never went to college.

One thing that we need to remember about the cruise critic boards is that they are wonderful places to provide and receive travel and cruise information to enhance our lives.

This post is a perfect example of people booking without truly understanding what they are getting. Viking has been very clear on the vibe and feel of what they wanted for these ships, and have been very open in explaining that in their press and digital statings. These ships are the ocean version of their river cruise. The experience is the actual cruise unlike most American geared lines. I personally love these ships. It is nice not to have the constant noise and harping about the next sale going on. While we still sail Royal and Celebrity, we find ourselves more and more moving our cruise dollar over to the smaller lines including Viking. For those of us who truly enjoy a more authentic experience, it is worth a look. For those who don't this is simply not the line for you. Happy sailing.

I keep reading on CC that many Carnival and Royal cruisers are moving over to try X. Do you think it’s having a knock-on effect i.e. regular X cruisers are now thinking that X is becoming more and more mainstream and are therefore looking at the likes of Viking, Azamara, Oceania etc.? A little like where X used to be?

I still can’t get past the poster who said he or she disliked seeing scooters and walkers. If my 80 year old mother is not welcome as a fellow passenger, I wonder what kind of community this person lives in.

That attitude alone is a huge reason to avoid Viking like the plague.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What has one traveller’s “attitude” got to do with the decision to avoid a cruise line? No one said the line prohibits scooters or walkers indeed the cruise lines are always very accommodating. That traveller could be on your next cruise on anyone’s ship. If you have an issue with them, take it up with them.

I keep reading on CC that many Carnival and Royal cruisers are moving over to try X. Do you think it’s having a knock-on effect i.e. regular X cruisers are now thinking that X is becoming more and more mainstream and are therefore looking at the likes of Viking, Azamara, Oceania etc.? A little like where X used to be?

I think the cause-effect may be working the other way: Celebrity is consciously becoming more like Royal [example: the loud music by the pool] and thereby turning off veteran X cruisers. I don't care about fleeing from déclassé Carnival and Royal cruisers, but I am consciously fleeing Celebrity's new 'loud music almost everywhere' policy. I'm in the camp that found most of the things OP complained about to be good things that we will like on our first Viking Ocean cruise.

I think the cause-effect may be working the other way: Celebrity is consciously becoming more like Royal [example: the loud music by the pool] and thereby turning off veteran X cruisers. I don't care about fleeing from déclassé Carnival and Royal cruisers, but I am consciously fleeing Celebrity's new 'loud music almost everywhere' policy. I'm in the camp that found most of the things OP complained about to be good things that we will like on our first Viking Ocean cruise.

I'm with you. I was sold when the OP said that "the Viking product is great if you love to read, love classical music or quiet piano music." We spend most of our time in the Solarium or on our balcony on sea days, far from the madding crowd.

I always love it when somebody touts their degrees. A professor of mine, years ago, said that a degree only shows that one has the ability to learn and take tests. He went on to say that just because you have it on the wall doesn't mean you have it on the ball, the world is full of educated idiots.

Wow...why all the unnecessary hostility? I learned manners in kindergarten. Rudeness, like touting oneself a being better than another leaves me wondering about the real issue behind all of this. Obviously, there is something else that is the driving force of these comments...

Many thanks to the OP for sharing...life is way too short to flame!

I can definitely see your point on this...could be!

Safety isn’t the primary consideration here, and we both know it. Viking aspires to be an elite cruise line, one that doesn’t require its cruisers to vacation with people for whom they obviously have great disdain. I hope they invent a vaccine for your return to reality.

This began as a civil thread on which some of us gained valuable knowledge from the generous posts of others, as we debated the relative merits of Celebrity and Viking. You have hijacked the thread with vitriolic condemnation of both Viking and anyone who sails Viking. I do not appreciate your ridiculous categorization of those who have, or may, sail Viking as people who “have great disdain” for those who have physical limitations.

I suggest that, since this is the Celebrity board, you take your issue to both the Viking board and Viking cruise line itself.

Edited by Silkroad

Just an FYI that Cruise Critic has recently added a new Guideline:

Cruise Critic considers constantly and persistently "bashing" a cruise line disruptive to other members. Therefore, you may receive a single warning regarding this behavior. In the sole opinion of Cruise Critic Community Management, you may lose access to that cruise line forum after the first warning.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=harass

Say your piece, then let it be.

Just to be clear, my comments are not complaints about Viking. Just a description of the vibe, and an effort to provide info. I have appreciated the r and r! The free laundry is much appreciated, and the pool area is well managed. Saw towels being picked up, fresh ones laid out on chairs. Waiters bring around fruit skewers, cool washcloths, and take drink orders. Plenty of open loungers. Again, I think it’s the demographics. Went to my first lecture, it was excellent.

Just to be clear, my comments are not complaints about Viking. Just a description of the vibe, and an effort to provide info. I have appreciated the r and r! The free laundry is much appreciated, and the pool area is well managed. Saw towels being picked up, fresh ones laid out on chairs. Waiters bring around fruit skewers, cool washcloths, and take drink orders. Plenty of open loungers. Again, I think it’s the demographics. Went to my first lecture, it was excellent.

I'm appreciating your comments and comparisons since I have been considering Viking and am familiar with Celebrity. I always like to read a variety of viewpoints before trying a new line.

You’re selling it to me. Just have to wait until our teens don’t want to sail with us, which will probably be in the not too distant future ;).

You’re selling it to me. Just have to wait until our teens don’t want to sail with us, which will probably be in the not too distant future ;).

Don’t you believe it! Our adult son never comes on land vacations with us but if we mention booking a cruise...

Just to be clear, the thread did not degenerate with me, although I accept that I lost my cool. The thread degenerated with the disparaging comments about the type of people who cruise mainstream lines. But then again, such blatant stereotypes are common among people who support discriminatory policies.

As for my degrees, the only reason I brought them up is because some of you seem to think that if you don’t sail on Viking, you’re a moron. I can assure you that I am not. Not that I require your approval.

As a Celebrity cruiser, my excitement for my first Viking Ocean cruise next month is growing. it will be my first TA from San Juan to Barcelona. Love that I will be able to use the laundry room on each passenger cabin deck. They even have irons! So I can bring a 7 day wardrobe that will be fine for my 3.5 week vacation. I look forward to the resident historian lectures each day and small group conversation with them on board. Included wifi for all is a nice touch . I will be doing a live thread on this cruise.

But the biggest draw for me is the ship design. They have more al fresco dining than any ship. In the common space are floor to ceiling glass walls, many sliders, so one always have a view of the sky or sea and no heavy draped windows or portholes.

I loved the Sunset bar area on all my Celebrity sailings. So I am looking forward to the same open area on the Viking. In addition, they have a two story Exploration lounge at the front of the ship with fabluous bar, comfortable furnishings and a Scandiavaen deli for breakfast, lunch, and late night snacks while star gazing.:hearteyes:

Wow ... sure sounds nice. Looking forward to your "live thread" and reviews of your cruise.

I think its time my wife and tried Viking.

Thanks !

-- Don

I could be wrong - I often am - but I don’t think Host Jazzbeau’s caution was directed at you. [emoji41]

I appreciated your comparison. I thought it a fair assessment, not bashing. I’ve been looking for comparison posts to help me decide where we will go next.

I think the issue is that some people have a “bone to pick” with a particular line and they will not let that bone go once they have had their pick. They seem to drag it around wherever they go.

And there also seem to be those who insist on painting all who cruise on a particular line - whichever that line may be - with a broad and often dirty brush.

I think all the lines have pros and cons, depending on what an individual cruiser prefers. And I don’t think all cruisers who prefer one line over another for personal reasons, can or even should be dumped into the same box.

We have done a lot of cruises on Carnival. It just worked for us at the time. They sailed out of convenient ports. It was simple and easy to book a cruise, and the experience was mostly satisfactory. We have met a lot of great people in our roll call groups.

We are retired now, and looking for more than a quick getaway. Plus Carnival has been making a lot of changes lately that is changing the experience and not for the better,in our estimation.

I have been reading all different cruise boards to see what each line offers. I can learn the details from the cruise line’s website, but I come here for personal experiences.

We recently did a river cruise with Viking and we thoroughly loved our experience with them. But as I’ve said before - we’re not looking to go steady, we plan to date around. [emoji12]

I’m beginning to form parameters around what pleases us and what doesn’t, and I’m trying to find which lines and ships from those lines fit within those parameters.

Celebrity is one of the lines, I’ve looked at. One advantage they have for me over Viking and some other lines is that they regularly have ships sailing from the NY/NJ area. No flights goes in the plus column.

I like simple and uncomplicated, and quite frankly, in their efforts to be everything to all people many lines - both mainstream and the next step up lines - have complicated bookings with all of their packages and options and multitude of ship configurations.

One of the things, we liked about Carnival is that it was relatively simple

- pick a departure port, ship and itinerary

- decide to go with the beverage package or not

- decide on late, early or anytime dining

- choose inside, ocean view, balcony room suite

And you’re done

Other lines have added ship within a ship concepts that complicate selection, and you are still on a Mega Ship. We don’t like the big ships and we don’t like the ship is the destination trend. We like the ship experience - the actual sailing - or we would just do land vacations. But it’s the old school idea of sailing, not the amusement park, shopping mall, entertainment complex that we enjoy.

Getting back to Viking... they tick a lot of boxes for us.

The ships are relatively small with only 930 passengers. They are also quite new.

Booking is simple. Much is included. The drink upgrade (beer & wine is included with meals) is reasonably priced or you can BYOB with no hassle.

The ships are, in our estimation, beautiful, well-appointed and all alike. We don’t have to deal with liking an itinerary or departure port but wishing it was on a different ship. I hear people saying that all the time. They want to do a particular itinerary but wish it was on their favorite ship.

They have some really great itineraries. If Viking Ocean is anything like Viking River, they take good care of you. We will find this out shortly.

They provide a casual atmosphere and a quiet elegance at the same time - not an easy thing to do. Viking is not for everyone, nor do they try to be. I think they know their customer very well. They are quite happy to be a niche. We like that niche and for now, we will be fine there, but who knows what the future holds.

There was popular song when I was growing up called “Shop Around!” Just doing a bit of that here.

Namaste [emoji120]

Sent from my iPad using Forums