Early disembark

K32682

My wife and I are considering a transatlantic re-positioning cruise that ends in NYC. It coincides with a previously planned trip to Europe so instead of flying return we can take a boat back.

More convenient for us however would be disembarking a day earlier in Halifax because it lands us in our home country and we avoid having to fly back into Canada from NYC. Has anyone done something similar and how did you do it? Is this something we should notify the cruise line beforehand or just walk off with our luggage when we arrive in Halifax and let the boat carry on without us? If notice is suggested should it be before booking or after departure?

My wife and I are considering a transatlantic re-positioning cruise that ends in NYC. It coincides with a previously planned trip to Europe so instead of flying return we can take a boat back.

More convenient for us however would be disembarking a day earlier in Halifax because it lands us in our home country and we avoid having to fly back into Canada from NYC. Has anyone done something similar and how did you do it? Is this something we should notify the cruise line beforehand or just walk off with our luggage when we arrive in Halifax and let the boat carry on without us? If notice is suggested should it be before booking or after departure?

You must have written permission from the cruise line since it involves customs in Halifax.

You must have written permission from the cruise line since it involves customs in Halifax.

What would prevent me from just getting off the ship and going home. Sorry, I should clarified I'm a Canadian citizen and resident and have landed in my own country. Why would I need permission from the cruise line?

What would prevent me from just getting off the ship and going home. Sorry, I should clarified I'm a Canadian citizen and resident and have landed in my own country. Why would I need permission from the cruise line?

When you arrive home on an international flight do you simply say "I'm a Canadian citizen returning to my own country so customs and immigration rules don't apply in my case?"

Your last port before Halifax will be a foreign port. Home country or not you just can't terminate your voyage as you please. You most certainly will be stopped by the authorities if you are carrying any luggage larger than a day pack as it will not have been inspected as it would have at the scheduled disembarkation port. The ship will have presented its manifest to the authorities in Halifax as a list of day visitors only, and that is the only permission granted; anyone not returning to the ship is considered an illegal entrant--even citizens of that nation. You will be returning home a wanted man.

When you arrive home on an international flight do you simply say "I'm a Canadian citizen returning to my own country so customs and immigration rules don't apply in my case?"

Your last port before Halifax will be a foreign port. Home country or not you just can't terminate your voyage as you please. You most certainly will be stopped by the authorities if you are carrying any luggage larger than a day pack as it will not have been inspected as it would have at the scheduled disembarkation port. The ship will have presented its manifest to the authorities in Halifax as a list of day visitors only, and that is the only permission granted; anyone not returning to the ship is considered an illegal entrant--even citizens of that nation. You will be returning home a wanted man.

I understand that I would have to go through re-entry procedures with the Canadian Border Service Agency just as I would for any return to the country but that is strictly between me and the CBSA. My intention would be to settle my account, pack my bags and as a courtesy inform the cruise line shortly before departure I would not be coming back.

and who says there will be a CBSA agent at Halifax port? you MUST get permission from the cruise line as they are the ones that get into trouble if you do not disembark correctly. many cruise lines now charge a fee for everyone who wishes to disembark early.. and no you cannot do so the day of or the day before..it must be arranged for prior to boarding the cruise.

I understand that I would have to go through re-entry procedures with the Canadian Border Service Agency just as I would for any return to the country but that is strictly between me and the CBSA. My intention would be to settle my account, pack my bags and as a courtesy inform the cruise line shortly before departure I would not be coming back.

I see this thread turning into a broken record very fast.

Again, in order for the cruise line to arrange for the CBSA to be expecting a disembarking passenger you must obtain consent from the cruise line well in advance of boarding. And have a copy of their consent in writing just in case there are any issues.

As for "strictly between me and the CBSA" the carrier most certainly has a role in insuring that its ticketed passengers follow the rules and regulations of any and all nations they call at. As they are subject to huge fines and possible dis-invitation to return for failing to do so.

You should clear this with the cruise line ahead of time because you may be stopped if you try to depart with your bags.. They may need to arrange for the proper customs people to be at the port, because technically everyone on the ship is "in transit" and not formally going through customs. They may also charge an extra fee for this service.

K32682, you have asked for advice and information but seem to not want to accept the responses. Please believe that all of the information you have received is accurate. You will need to get prior permission with the cruise line as to your plans for early departure. That port of departure will also have to be notified so that they can have the proper representatives on hand to clear your reentry as that is not the original termination port for the ship. There may also be a fee required to make any special arrangements to handle your departure.

I would suggest that you contact your cruise line to confirm this.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

As many have said you must arrange this ahead of time with the cruise line getting it in writing.

The crise line must arrange this with the Canadian authorities.

You asked what might happen. Well simply you might be turned down by the Canadian local authorities as you try to exit the pier with luggage.

Again take the advice from all of us and just get this approved.

Keith

Let me explain it in a little more detail. When a cruise ship enters a port of call (not an embarkation or disembarkation port), customs and immigration come onboard and clear the ship both into and out of the port at the time of docking, using the passenger manifest presented at arrival. This is because the cruise line and the officials assume that the passenger count, and hence the manifest, will be the same for arrival and departure. The customs and immigration officials leave the ship at the time it is cleared for passengers to go ashore for the day. There is no guarantee that there will be officials manning a line to clear anyone permanently into Canada.

Now, when you leave the ship at that port, the ship has to submit a new passenger manifest to customs and immigration, and immigration needs to return to the ship to clear it for departure. So, it is the cruise line's business that you are leaving, so they can prepare a new manifest, and pay to have the officials return to the ship to clear outbound. Particularly for a final leg between Halifax and NYC, this will also affect the ENOA (electronic notice of arrival) that the ship has to submit to the USCG 72 hours prior to arrival in the US, and which includes a passenger manifest.

If you were to just settle up onboard and walk off the ship, if there were no customs and immigration officials to clear you permanently into the country, very likely the next time you went to leave the country you would be flagged as never having re-entered the country, and all kinds of problems would crop up (fines, delays while status was resolved, etc).

If you were to just settle up onboard and walk off the ship, if there were no customs and immigration officials to clear you permanently into the country, very likely the next time you went to leave the country you would be flagged as never having re-entered the country, and all kinds of problems would crop up (fines, delays while status was resolved, etc).

Regardless of other complications, this is the one which immediately sprung to my mind.

There have been occasions (not talking here about cruises) when a foreign visitor has entered the US through the usual channels & their entry recorded, but their departure wasn't logged. Perhaps because - like K32682's plan - they departed without going through usual channels, perhaps because they departed correctly but a mistake in the bureaucracy meant that their departure wasn't recorded.

When they next visit the US - mebbe 2 or 3 years later - they're flagged as not having left the country & having therefore over-stayed their visa / ESTA / whatever.

Even if the traveller had stuck to the rules & the error was on the part of Homeland Security, the result is a stack of grief.

And if the traveller had broken the rules I have no doubt that the result would include fines etc.

So no, you don't have to notify the cruise line - you have to ask them.

JB :)

This topic always comes up on the European boards as a lot of people want to disembark at LaHavre to go to Paris. The answer is that the people have to get written permission from the cruise line. Many have apparently done it at LaHarve so you can try at Halifax. As a Canadian, I would be curious as to the answer.

This topic always comes up on the European boards as a lot of people want to disembark at LaHavre to go to Paris. The answer is that the people have to get written permission from the cruise line. Many have apparently done it at LaHarve so you can try at Halifax. As a Canadian, I would be curious as to the answer.

I'm certain that with the process described by the respondents to this thread it can be done. The issue is more that it cannot properly be done without following it.

Doing it at Le Havre is potentially easier process, depending on where the ship is coming from. So, may not be an apples to apples comparison.

I'm certain that with the process described by the respondents to this thread it can be done. The issue is more that it cannot properly be done without following it.

This. If you are going to do it, you have to do it according to the process, even if the OP doesn't understand the reasons behind the process.

You asked what might happen. Well simply you might be turned down by the Canadian local authorities as you try to exit the pier with luggage.

Again take the advice from all of us and just get this approved.

Keith

I know from previous experience Canadian authorities will not deny entry to the country by a Canadian citizen. They have to let us in eventually providing we go through the appropriate procedures.

In a private aircraft or boat what is required is to notify the CBSA telephone reporting center which can either approval an oral declaration or send officers to inspect. I note that Halifax is an authorized disembarkation site for cruise ships and an approved entry point for private vessels.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/se...o-onc-eng.html

Certainly, I do not intend to circumvent the law. I would notify cruise ship officials and make arrangements with the CBSA to be cleared if necessary using the reporting system that is already in place. I don't need "approval" from the cruise line to enter my own country unless they plan to forcibly prevent me from leaving the ship which would be, er, an interesting turn of events.

Another question is whether cruise passengers who are day visitors to their own country undergo closer scrutiny that those from other countries. I've never landed in Canada as a cruise passenger but know from previous experience the customs and immigration procedures in foreign ports for cruise passengers vary widely are often best described as cursory.

I know from previous experience Canadian authorities will not deny entry to the country by a Canadian citizen. They have to let us in eventually providing we go through the appropriate procedures.

Which has nothing to do with a ship's requirements for passengers leaving an itinerary early.

In a private aircraft or boat what is required is to notify the CBSA telephone reporting center which can either approval an oral declaration or send officers to inspect. I note that Halifax is an authorized disembarkation site for cruise ships and an approved entry point for private vessels.

But it is not the intended termination port for your itinerary and may not be set up to clear you as a result without prior notification. Please re-read chengkp75's response. BTW he is a career Mariner and as such is an authority.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/se...o-onc-eng.html

Certainly, I do not intend to circumvent the law. I would notify cruise ship officials and make arrangements with the CBSA to be cleared if necessary using the reporting system that is already in place. I don't need "approval" from the cruise line to enter my own country unless they plan to forcibly prevent me from leaving the ship which would be, er, an interesting turn of events.

No but you need their acknowledgement if you plan to leave the ship earlier than the intended itinerary termination port. What part of this don't you understand?

Another question is whether cruise passengers who are day visitors to their own country undergo closer scrutiny that those from other countries. I've never landed in Canada as a cruise passenger but know from previous experience the customs and immigration procedures in foreign ports for cruise passengers vary widely are often best described as cursory.

See my responses in red. I don't understand why you seem to continuously challenge the correct and factual information that you are receiving from the posters on this thread. We are only responding to your request for information to try to help you. Believe what you wish, but don't ask for advice and information - especially when it is accurate - if you are going to choose not to accept it.

Enjoy your cruise - and your early disembarkation.

OP - one other thing to consider: ships don't always make every port on an itinerary. For example, there were 40 passengers on our Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale cruise a few years ago who had received permission to disembark in Charleston, SC. We were within sight of the dock when the captain announced that he, in consultation with the local pilot, had determined that a serious storm was headed to Charleston and it would be necessary to cancel the stop (it was better for the ship to be at sea than tied to the dock when the storm hit). The next port was Fort Lauderdale and all those passengers had to arrange transportation back to South Carolina.

While you are correct that CBSA cannot prevent you from returning to your own country, any more than CBP can prevent a US citizen from returning to the US, they can make it difficult if you don't follow their procedures. In your case, there is no need for "approval" to disembark into your country, but just like a the US PVSA which prevents a passenger from disembarking at a different US port than they embarked at, Canada has the Coasting Trade Act, which precludes foreign flag ships from disembarking passengers at different ports in Canada, and the cruise line ticket contract specifically spells out that there are cases where you agree to disembark at a prescribed port, so there are certainly instances where you require the cruise line's "approval" to disembark.

Your mention of private aircraft or boats is irrelevant, as you are not traveling by those means, and while the CBSA office in Halifax is open during the day, they may not be able to process you without the correct passenger manifest from the ship.

What can also happen, even if CBSA clears you when you disembark, is that the ship gets fined for improper manifests upon departure (listing you as departing on the ship), or the line incurs additional cost for preparing and submitting the revised last minute manifest (after you check out at guest services), and they will place you on their "no sail" list for future cruise bookings. It's happened. The ticket contract also allows the cruise line to pass any fine incurred by the cruise line because of your early departure to be passed to you.

As to whether or not you would be subject to more scrutiny when entering Canada than a non-citizen, no, you would not. However, when you settle your account at guest services, or if you just tried to walk down the gangway with your luggage, security would be notified, and you would be directed to guest services to settle your bill, and/or security would notify the purser's office, which would need to notify CBSA to clear you into the country, and start the paperwork.

If you notified the "ship's officials" at the time you are departing, they will definitely make things difficult for you, for causing the last minute problems, and even if you notify the ship's staff several days in advance, they will need to clear this with corporate, so there could be delays in disembarking anyway. As for forcibly restraining you, all they have to say is "there are no CBSA agents available at this time, please have a seat, we will advise you when they arrive to clear you off the ship" and CBSA would back them up on it.

I don't know who/what CBSA is - - but I assume it is something to do with customs and immigration. If you are coming back from another country, your customs and immigration people would want to know about it ; they are not prepared to process incoming people from every cruise ship which calls.

Sure, you probably can - but you need to set it up in advance with the line so they can set it up with the customs and immigration people.

I am speaking from comparable personal experience- I got permission to debark a Celebrity T/A in New York (its second US port) before it went on to Bermuda and finally Florida. My US citizenship does not give me the automatic right to just drop in, but arrangements can be made.

For some reason I am reminded of the family who got off the ship in Jamaica, they had family there and they wanted to visit. Thing is the ship waited around for them for two hours, and then reported them (all 3) lost at sea. Which created all sorts of problems. When the family saw a newspaper article about the missing folks they then contacted the cruise lines, stating that they didn't know they were supposed to tell anyone.

You have to get your early departure approved. i'm sure that it will work, and I hope that you have a great cruse.

Get the permission to disembarrk early in writing (e mail) and when you emb ark the ship at the sttarrt of the cruise, be sure to remind the office of your plan and show them your written approval to do so. Communicagtion frorm home office to the ship w could have gotten confused so a reminder is in your best interest. As sttated above, they must arrange to have the proper Immigration and customs officials available to clear your entry.

After contacting the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and three cruise lines including the one I may sail the results are surprisingly mundane.

It is apparently quite common for passengers and crew to leave a ship before it reaches its final destination due to staff reassignments, entertainers leaving, changes in travel plans, family emergencies, medical issues, etc.

The CBSA said all that is required is to inform them upon arrival of your intentions and the passenger would undergo the same screening as any other border entry to Canada. Their cruise ship facility in Halifax is open from 8am to midnight. They confirmed a Canadian citizen would not be prevented from entering the country under any circumstance.

The answers from the cruise lines were generally similar although it was a challenge finding someone to speak with who was knowledgeable and could answer questions. I spent a lot of time on hold.

They agreed it was quite typical for people to leave before the final destination. A passenger does not need “approval” to depart or written permission. They could accommodate a final departure at any time but stressed that earlier notice would be appreciated and paperwork would make the process smoother but not impossible.

There was no mention of additional fees for an entry into Canada and they dismissed any suggestion that a passenger who wanted off would be prevented from leaving the ship. They did make clear however that once disembarked I would not be allowed to return and was entirely on my own regarding customs and ground transportation, etc.

The advice received was specific to an entry into Canada by a Canadian from a ship that originated outside of the U.S.A. There are different regulations for other countries, nationalities and itineraries. Check with your line and the relevant government authorities.

We did it a couple of years ago, disembarking from a transatlantic repositioning cruise at Port Canaveral rather than Miami. It was all very painless, but we needed to get written permission from the cruiseline and we had to present that letter upon embarkation in Southampton (England). I understand that was because at that point we were noted by the ship as being passengers only until Canaveral. Our letter confirmed that (whilst also no doubt confirming that we knew that too!). We were told the reason for having to seek permission was because it is not always feasible for the cruiseline to arrange appropriate passport control and customs presence. There was no fuss, the cruseline - Celebrity - was very helpful, and the letter was emailed to us. From their response it was clear that they get this a lot; so long as you keep yourself and them legal, they're happy. I think the price was even adjusted for the shorter duration! We had only asked on the off-chance, and were very pleasantly surprised that it was possible. Didn't occur to us just to leave the ship without sorting it out beforehand. Maybe we're 'too' law abiding? Anyway, hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did - best ever!