Island Princess

99Cruiser

Does the Island Princess have a Sanctuary and would it be a good place to be to go through the Panama Canal?

If you're in the Sanctuary you're all the way aft, so you miss the view from the bow of the ship as it approaches a lock and is hooked onto the mules and the gates open, to me the most exciting sights in a transit. The aft of the sanctuary will provide a view of the closing locks and water flowing in, but it's definitely a rear-view mirror kind of thing. (The Island used to have great aft public viewing platforms but lost them to the Princess bean-counters.)

I generally ping-pong forward to aft and back again. The Sanctuary is comfy, but if you stay there you'll miss at least half the action.

Does the Island Princess have a Sanctuary and would it be a good place to be to go through the Panama Canal?

Thank you

The Sanctuary will cost $70/person or potentially more for the Panama Canal day and is NOT included if you book the Sanctuary for the entire cruise. It can be very hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sure appreciate all this useful information. We are booked on the Island for the Nov. 20 ocean to ocean cruise through the Panama Canal. Now we know not to book the sanctuary and to find a place to stand on the Promenade deck. - EBC

This is why I love Cruise Critic, you can ask for information / help and you will get many members that will give advise with details as to why you should or shouldn't do something.

To add to this question, is the

Sanctuary worth booking during the cruise? In October I wouldn't think there would be too many kids on a 10 day cruise so the regular pools may not be too bad.

I wouldn't recommend the Sanctuary. I've done the canal twice and my advice is to be all over the ship during the transit. For instance, it is great to be on the promenade deck when the ship is at a low point in the dock.

There is something to see from everywhere.

Agree, Have done the trip 5 times. It's best to be all over the ship. A really nice place on the Island is all the way forward on deck 11, walk the hallway all the way forward and through the door to a small observation area. There are no chairs, and the doors may be locked. No matter where you go it will be hot, so take some breaks in the shade.

Thanks for the info, I will be on the Island for the first time next week, hoping to get some good forward view on approach to San Francisco (Golden Gate). Last time around on the Star, they left all forward viewing areas locked until after we passed the bridge, lots of unhappy people!

This is why I love Cruise Critic, you can ask for information / help and you will get many members that will give advise with details as to why you should or shouldn't do something.

To add to this question, is the

Sanctuary worth booking during the cruise? In October I wouldn't think there would be too many kids on a 10 day cruise so the regular pools may not be too bad.

I had plans to use the Sanctuary a lot on our long cruise last winter. I am not a fan of Island's Sanctuary because virtually all chairs are exposed to the sun all the time. The overhead gauze "sails" do little to help. Depending on the direction ship is headed and time of day, there is opportunity for full shade on the port side - away from virtually all other loungers. I ended up only using the place for a couple of half days and it was hardly used at all.

Thank you

The BEST place to escape completely. The Island has a shower and private bathroom for guests in the sanctuary. If you want to view other areas of the ship you just go and view them. When you want a reserved lounger in t e shade with citrus water and frozen towels provided you will love the choice you made to select this great place. I book the place every cruise and it makes a big difference in the total experience of cruisng.

The day of the canal will be special and a varied menu will be served to you for enjoyment. The ships photographer will capture a photo of you experience included in the daily fee. I have cruised the canal 4 times and have booked the sanctuary every time and will do it again this Nov on the Coral.

Edited by Fat Albert
spelling

Thanks for the info, I will be on the Island for the first time next week, hoping to get some good forward view on approach to San Francisco (Golden Gate). Last time around on the Star, they left all forward viewing areas locked until after we passed the bridge, lots of unhappy people!

Can you report back after your trip on how the ship and staff is?

Thank you

While we book the Sanctuary on larger ships it isn't needed on Coral or Island. The Lotus pool area is air conditioned and has similar loungers to the Sanctuary. And it is free. Of course if you like sitting out in the sun all day the Sanctuary can do this.

When we were on the Island for our Panama cruise, the hubby went to the forward area where there is a door to go through to take photos (I think we were on deck 10 or 11) and I stayed on the balcony and took photos. There were probably about 30 or so others out there viewing the entrance to the canal and taking photos. I brought bottled water out to him but he said he would come in later. Well, about an hour later he did.

It does get very hot. I found myself going in and out of our stateroom as the sun was pretty strong.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time on the Island while experiencing the canal. The 19 day cruise was probably one of the best we have had.

Enjoy your cruise!

We did the ocean to ocean last year on the Island. We went forward on deck 10 or 11, which didn't get too crowded. There also is a spot aft, not sure what deck where we saw the locks close.

We liked the food on the Island, did a great job on fish dishes.

When we did a partial transit of the canal on the Island, we'd heard that occupants of the new balcony cabins on Promenade Deck aft who could not use their balconies during the transit since there would be cables right outside the balcony were given Sanctuary for the day.

You can go on the forward viewing decks on 9, 10 and 11

If you're in the Sanctuary you're all the way aft, so you miss the view from the bow of the ship as it approaches a lock and is hooked onto the mules and the gates open, to me the most exciting sights in a transit. The aft of the sanctuary will provide a view of the closing locks and water flowing in, but it's definitely a rear-view mirror kind of thing. (The Island used to have great aft public viewing platforms but lost them to the Princess bean-counters.)

I generally ping-pong forward to aft and back again. The Sanctuary is comfy, but if you stay there you'll miss at least half the action.

FYI. Emerald deck aft on Island Princess is still an aft viewing platform.

Got off the Island today... While I didn’t check deck 9 forward, I can confirm Deck 10/11 forward and Deck 8 aft all have nice viewing areas.

Thanks for this info ! We're booked on the Island for the Nov. 20 cruise 15 days ocean to ocean through the canal. Thanksgiving vacation was the only time that each member of the family could clear their schedules to get together, so we have to take whatever ship Princess is offering, or choose another cruise line. We chose to stay with Princess, so we're going to make the best of being on the Island. Glad to hear that Deck 10/11 and Deck 8 all have good viewing areas.- EBC