FL Sales Tax

weegl

It is my understanding that if you pre-order any drink packages on-line prior to the cruise, or if you purchase them when you embark in one of the Florida ports prior to departing, you are subject to FL sales tax (6%).

Does anyone have personal experience or insight on this topic? I'm considering purchasing drink packages for the family on-line, but do not want to do it if I can avoid paying sales tax by waiting for us to leave the port of Miami.

Thanks

We never have done that, because I was under the impression that your credit card gets charged immediately. I will wait until I get there and have the thing posted later on. If one works it the right way, the closing date for your credit card will occur while you are one the cruise, then you get an extra month before that thing hits your mailbox!

Jim

It is my understanding that if you pre-order any drink packages on-line prior to the cruise, or if you purchase them when you embark in one of the Florida ports prior to departing, you are subject to FL sales tax (6%).

Does anyone have personal experience or insight on this topic? I'm considering purchasing drink packages for the family on-line, but do not want to do it if I can avoid paying sales tax by waiting for us to leave the port of Miami.

Thanks

We are cruising out of Miami on Celebrity repositioning cruise thru the Panama Canal to Valpo starting Dec 5. I just purchased the Sommelier's wine package and was charged the service charge (no tax).

Thanks for the insight. Now I can purchase on-line without concern. Last year, I remember purchasing a drink in port when we boarded and they charged local sales tax. As soo as we were out of port...same drink no sales tax. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the insight. Now I can purchase on-line without concern. Last year, I remember purchasing a drink in port when we boarded and they charged local sales tax. As soo as we were out of port...same drink no sales tax. Lesson learned.

I know they charge you tax on drinks while in port, but I'm curious if they also charge tax if you were to purchase the liquor package while still in port???

You don't get charged the FL sales tax if you purchase a drink or wine package while in port since the cruise line only needs to wait to process the charge when in international waters since typically you don't really consume the drinks when in the embarkation port. I have purchased wine packages while in the embarkation port and have never been charged local taxes. Yes if you purchase one drink for comsumption while in port you could be subject to local taxes or if you take a European cruise that doesn't leave the EC (doesn't go to a non-EC port) the same thing happens.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone has been charged sales tax on a package purchased on boarding day while the ship was still in port, please step forward. So far, the only ones who actually purchased a package at that time claim they did NOT get charged sales tax. The only ones mentioning a sales tax charge on this thread are not speaking from personal experience and the speculation is getting to be frustrating.

Thanks

Hi neighbor:)...just to make you aware FL sales tax varies county to

county...you are PVB? So that is St Johns...I am in Duval and its 7%

here.....but as for the question....its the amount on the website,

no more, no less.

Thanks

We are scheduled on Celebrity Infinity from Miami to Valpo, through the Panama Canal on Dec 5. I was not charged tax on the wine package that I purchased. I was charged a service fee.

We recently returned from the Canada/NE cruise on the Summit. We were charged sales tax on drinks purchased from a ship's bar while at a US port including while anchored at a tender port. No sales tax was charged while at a Canadian port. Quite frankly I was shocked at being charged sales tax on a drink as that has never been done on any or our Princess cruises up through last April.

I used to buy the soda package after I boarded when going to the buffet at lunchtime on sailaway day. Tax was charged on my purchase. I have learned to order it before we sail. Online no sales tax is charged.

Pat

Hi neighbor:)...just to make you aware FL sales tax varies county to

county...you are PVB? So that is St Johns...I am in Duval and its 7%

here.....but as for the question....its the amount on the website,

no more, no less.

And though sales tax doesn't seem to apply to on-board purchases, those of you who are spending time in South Florida before/after a cruise might be interested to know that the sales tax rate in the Fort Lauderdale area [broward County] is 6% while the sales tax rate in Miami/Dade County is 7%...

And though sales tax doesn't seem to apply to on-board purchases, those of you who are spending time in South Florida before/after a cruise might be interested to know that the sales tax rate in the Fort Lauderdale area [broward County] is 6% while the sales tax rate in Miami/Dade County is 7%...

Hi Mike:)....Have fun in Vegas;)....wonder what their taxes are:D

I always wait until we are at sea away from any port before I purchase drinks, or wine. Some early diners are not aware that they are indeed charged tax on their drinks. For second seating diners we are usually at sea therefore no tax. I was made aware of this by an X employee.

Hi Mike

Does that tax apply to tour guides in Fort Lauderdale?:eek:

Chris:D

I always wait until we are at sea away from any port before I purchase drinks, or wine. Some early diners are not aware that they are indeed charged tax on their drinks. For second seating diners we are usually at sea therefore no tax. I was made aware of this by an X employee.

I noticed that the day of embarkation, they are up there in the passageway leading into the buffet area selling wine and drink packages as well as the Riedel wine tasting package. They take your seapass and write your name and cruise number on a sheet of paper and give you the receipt. They most likely ring it into the system once they are out to sea.

They do charge sales tax in NJ and Ft. Lauderdale while you are in port when you order a drink from the bar.

Archived