2 very low mobility parents in Cozumel and Cayman

What are the options of getting 2 very low mobility adults from ship to taxi in Cozumel and Cayman without rental scooters from Florida 2 wont fit in their cabin unless I upgrade them OS or GS!

1) Is there way for Royal to store them til port days?

2) Is there any private tour companies that can meet them at the ship or just beyond that security gate? Are there private tours that specializes in this! Everything I found they wanted you to book the cruise through them!

3) Can I use special needs to wheel chair them to at least security gate! How do we get them back? They are not going to be able to walk the Cozumel 1/3 mile in the heat and humidity! I never been to Cayman so I have no idea the length. Are there private tours in Cayman as well.

4) Does anyone know if professional style camera with mega lense is banned?

Just trying to get answers before I go to specail needs. Thank you in advance for any help. I am ripping my hair out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Local wheel chairs along with someone to push them are available in Cozumel.

You may have to have the Ship's security guy at the gangplank call ashore to have them come out.

We always tipped the pushers $5 each.

They will roll you right to the taxi stand and can bring you back. On the way back you have to get out of the wheel chairs to go through security but they will pick you up once you are through.

wheel chair assistance is only for boarding and disembarking. you may NOT take them off the ship unless it is on a private island and even then, not always doable.

do not assume they can or will store multiple scooters. or that you could easily get them back on port days

tour companies may NOT access the port terminal unless they have a contract with the cruise line and you book through the cruise line

is renting travel wheelchairs locally doable? A they collapse, B do not take up much room and C can go where you go.

Karen, are your parents traveling alone? If so, being "very low mobility" will be a challenge, and scooters may be the only way they can get around. At the terminal, RCI staff will assist them onto and off of the ship. But on board, they'll be on their own. To the best of my knowledge, there is no service that will push them around (on board) all week in standard wheelchairs. The same applies while on shore. My 88yo grandmother cruises every time with us (big family group), so we've learned how to plan for and manage her limited-mobility needs.

The accessible cabins go quick, but I would second this suggestion. If they are indeed traveling alone, I would go so far as to change the sail date in order to get one. It's the most practical option for accommodating scooters. We were accidentally provided a scooter one time, we boarded to find that the rental company had squeezed it into my grandmothers standard-size room. It was not a 'fortunate' mistake, as they tried to convince us when we called, "We aren't able to correct the error at this point, but aren't you lucky?! You only paid for a basic wheelchair!". Um, no. It turned out to be a serious inconvenience to our week, because we were not prepared for it. It literally had to be forced through the door! Not something my grandmother could have done herself, btw. Our experience was that the cruise line provided no assistance in allowing us to store it elsewhere, this might not always be the case though, I can't really say. Fortunately, someone else in our traveling party had a larger room and was willing to keep the scooter for her. However, she now had no wheelchair for our tender ports, of which we had two. VERY disappointing. She has since bought her own wheelchair so there can be no more mix-ups by others that can ruin her vacation.

All that to say, if you decide to rent scooters for them, you'll need to plan accordingly. Tender ports are not scooter friendly. That said, RCI does offer accessible excursions in some ports. If you have already booked a sailing, check the offered excursions to see if any are listed.

Karen, are your parents traveling alone? If so, being "very low mobility" will be a challenge, and scooters may be the only way they can get around. At the terminal, RCI staff will assist them onto and off of the ship. But on board, they'll be on their own. To the best of my knowledge, there is no service that will push them around (on board) all week in standard wheelchairs. The same applies while on shore. My 88yo grandmother cruises every time with us (big family group), so we've learned how to plan for and manage her limited-mobility needs.

The accessible cabins go quick, but I would second this suggestion. If they are indeed traveling alone, I would go so far as to change the sail date in order to get one. It's the most practical option for accommodating scooters. We were accidentally provided a scooter one time, we boarded to find that the rental company had squeezed it into my grandmothers standard-size room. It was not a 'fortunate' mistake, as they tried to convince us when we called, "We aren't able to correct the error at this point, but aren't you lucky?! You only paid for a basic wheelchair!". Um, no. It turned out to be a serious inconvenience to our week, because we were not prepared for it. It literally had to be forced through the door! Not something my grandmother could have done herself, btw. Our experience was that the cruise line provided no assistance in allowing us to store it elsewhere, this might not always be the case though, I can't really say. Fortunately, someone else in our traveling party had a larger room and was willing to keep the scooter for her. However, she now had no wheelchair for our tender ports, of which we had two. VERY disappointing. She has since bought her own wheelchair so there can be no more mix-ups by others that can ruin her vacation.

All that to say, if you decide to rent scooters for them, you'll need to plan accordingly. Tender ports are not scooter friendly. That said, RCI does offer accessible excursions in some ports. If you have already booked a sailing, check the offered excursions to see if any are listed.

I did check the sailing that the OP is going on and there are accessible cabins available in at least 3 different categories, one being a JS.

Special needs really isn't going to be helpful in your situation. The cruise line will bring them onto the ship at embarkation and off the ship at disembarkation (beware, there may be a wait for either service depending on how many passengers require it), but that's it. No, they will not store scooters, those must be kept inside the cabin.

If you are going with them, you might want to purchase or rent travel wheelchairs that can be folded up and stored in the cabin and would fit in a taxi at ports.

What are the options of getting 2 very low mobility adults from ship to taxi in Cozumel and Cayman without rental scooters from Florida 2 wont fit in their cabin unless I upgrade them OS or GS!

How are these people going to get around on the ship itself if their scooters are in storage? :confused:

2) Is there any private tour companies that can meet them at the ship or just beyond that security gate? Are there private tours that specializes in this! Everything I found they wanted you to book the cruise through them!

Some of the RCI excursions are accessible (they are noted as such), but regardless, how are mobility-challenged people going to participate in a tour? Or are you just looking for a "driving tour" of the port, without actually going anywhere or doing anything? :confused:

3) Can I use special needs to wheel chair them to at least security gate! How do we get them back? They are not going to be able to walk the Cozumel 1/3 mile in the heat and humidity! I never been to Cayman so I have no idea the length. Are there private tours in Cayman as well.

Again, how are they going to be getting around on the ship? :confused:

Why on earth would a camera be banned? :confused: Just keep in mind that you're going to have to carry it... those pounds really do seem heavier at the end of a long day!

I'm guessing that you're going along with the mobility-challenged parents on this cruise. If so, I recommend purchasing your own foldable wheelchairs, or at the VERY least a couple of Rollator-style walkers (the ones with a built-in seat).

A wheelchair can be had for less than $150, a Rollator for $75-$150. Both will easily fit in even a standard room (although I second the recommendation for a handicap accessible room), and both provide seating for the duration of the cruise, can easily go off the ship with you (including tenders), and can go in taxis/tour buses when folded up.

If the mobility-challenged people aren't going to be accompanied by family/friends/staff who can help them, I would NOT recommend they cruise alone. It doesn't sound like they are experienced cruisers, and it just really isn't easy to be a new cruiser AND mobility challenged without an able-bodied or experienced person with you.

I am an RN who specializes in Private Duty Nursing -- I work almost exclusively with people who have experienced traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, or extensive orthopedic injury... namely, I work with mobility-challenged people in their homes and in the community. I'm also an experienced traveler.

Everything is harder/more complicated/more confusing on vacation than it is at home. You want to simplify things as much as possible. Having a wheelchair or a Rollator (and at least one able-bodied adult to help) is going to be a necessity for these people to maximize their enjoyment of the cruise and minimize the frustrations and confusion and disappointments that they will face if they don't have adequate accommodations made for their mobiity challenges.

Book a Handicap room. 2 scooters will fit, although "all" staterooms are small, but HC rooms are bigger, and should work out fine.

Personally, the only thing we ever do in Cozumel and Cayman is walk around.

You are used to traveling in the US where everything is accessible, however, overseas or in this case Mexico, will always present challenges. Most tours in the two locations you mentioned are more "action" based.

Cayman is a tender port, so you would have to walk on a "moving" ramp onto another boat, which will take you to port. You must be able to walk on the ramp. It is not wheel chair friendly. I think for Cozumel you will need a scooter. Are you looking for a Tour where they don't get out of a car/van/bus? Because even most easy going tours make stops where you need to get out, and explore, and like I mentioned early, it is not the same standards as in the US.

Just trying to get answers before I go to specail needs. Thank you in advance for any help. I am ripping my hair out!

Traveling with limited mobility is a challenge, but like everything else, those that have it learn to adapt. Cruises are a wonderful way to relax and enjoy. Don't rule out the fact that they don't need to leave the ship. Our family often "splits" up on cruises, and that is one of the great things about cruises. Don't pull your hair out. Figure out what the expectations are, and if they have scooters, bring them. Get with special needs for the paperwork.

That would be perfect.

What #'s were available 3/21/16 BOS I looked and somehow I am not seeing stuff.

Thank you all for the info! I am going with them, but I can't do this all myself! Waiting to talk to Mom and see if maybe they might want to bring a good able friend to help and I figure we could use his inside cabin to store one scooter and then a wheelchair. I am pretty confident that they will be able to walk the ship! If they get tired stop and rest. I have them right by the back elevators. I am also worried Mom will

have a time with the bathroom step.

Thanks again for all info. This is becoming a major project.

Thank you all for the info! I am going with them, but I can't do this all myself! Waiting to talk to Mom and see if maybe they might want to bring a good able friend to help and I figure we could use his inside cabin to store one scooter and then a wheelchair. I am pretty confident that they will be able to walk the ship! If they get tired stop and rest. I have them right by the back elevators. I am also worried Mom will

have a time with the bathroom step.

Thanks again for all info. This is becoming a major project.

If you switch to a handicapped cabin there is no step into the bathroom, along with the other advantages of being larger, wider doors, open bathroom, etc.

If Mom can't navigate the step into the bathroom, she more than likely will not be able to tender.

I am pretty confident that they will be able to walk the ship! If they get tired stop and rest.

There isn't always someplace to sit if they need to rest on the ship.

That's where the Rollators come in handy.... extra stability by holding onto the walker handles (motion of the ship, crowded area where they may get bumped into, etc.), plus they have a built-in seat when they need to sit. The little basket under the seat is handy for carrying hat / sunglasses / wallet / purchases, too.

2023 - Interior

7614 - Balcony

1028 - JS

Good luck, I can sympathize with how difficult it can be to organize all of this. Hope they enjoy their vacation.

Can a scooter be put on the tender in Grand Caymen? I can walk short distances, but would not be able to walk any longer distances.

When at Labdee will I be able to leave scooter a end of pier and catch a golf card to barefoot beach?

I have assumed the scooter will fit in GS. Do they give you extension cord to charge battery?

Are there any options for embankment? Do they have wheelchairs available?

Thanks

Can a scooter be put on the tender in Grand Caymen? I can walk short distances, but would not be able to walk any longer distances.

When at Labdee will I be able to leave scooter a end of pier and catch a golf card to barefoot beach?

I have assumed the scooter will fit in GS. Do they give you extension cord to charge battery?

Thanks

In our experience, scooters can not be taken onto tenders. You must be able to manage the few steps into and out of the tender. They will assist you by holding your hand, but you pretty much need to be stable and strong enough to climb down in while it bobs in the water next to the ship. Sometimes it's pretty easy, sometimes not so much. Grand Cayman often has choppy conditions.

The scooter will likely fit inside the GS, but the door may be an issue. I'm not sure the GS has a widened entry like "accessible" cabins do. I don't recall having any issues with keeping the battery charged, so adequate cords must have been provided.

I assume you mean embarkment in your last question. The cruise line will assist you (provide a wheel chair and someone to push you) onto and off of the ship on the first and last days. These chairs are returned to the terminal though. Arrangements are best made ahead of time by calling the Special Needs Dept at RCI. Still, there is often a bit of a wait.... not many chairs/pushers.

Someone else may have a better answer for you regarding Labadee. The time we tried it, I think we pushed my Gram ashore in her rented chair, left it at some kind of building where we obtained a beach wheelchair (has big, inflated tires designed for using on sand), then retrieved our chair at the end of the day. But I may be confusing this with another private island (Princess Cays). Regardless, the sand is going to be difficult walking (at the beach you mentioned) for anyone with mobility issues who relies on a wheel chair. Traveling with limited mobility can definitely be done, but you really need able-bodied companions to help out.

Edited by Ren1216

Thanks

Scooters WILL fit through the door of a GS or larger even if they are not handicapped cabins. We got a scooter for my DH on the Explorer and it was onboard when we got to our cabin..they need to be charged every night or every other day so keep that in mind. The cord that comes with the scooter is pretty long so you shouldn't have a problem charging it.

As for Labadee, if you can make it to the gangway, there are large wheel wheelchairs available and someone will push you to the tram or beach...just tip the helper who pushes you to your location.

For our upcoming cruise, we are taking our own personal wheelchair to embark and debark at ports. Around the ship my DH can handle the short walks but standing in line or walking long distances is not doable so we will use the WC for those instances. Royal is very accommodating to those with mobility needs. Almost everyone was willing to assist...every time our cabin steward saw us coming he would open our cabin door for us, etc. You will find other passengers on the elevators quite interesting to deal with tho... ;)

Just wanted to add:

My grandmother sometimes brings and uses one of those Rollators (I've always just called it a walker, but it is "fancy" with the seat, basket, brakes and nice wheels). This is very useful to her just going short distances (not for those long piers!). As already mentioned, the seat is a great thing to have, you cannot always count on there being a place to sit when she tires out or the wait ends up longer than expected. But the most useful thing is her collapsible wheel chair. We used to rent from the well known companies that service the departure ports, was fine until that one mix-up where we received a scooter instead. After that, she bought her own. Definitely worth it since we cruise every other year. Her chair is exactly what she wants, no surprises, no problems. It collapses (in width, like an accordion) and is easy enough to store in a standard cabin. Also easy to transport on private tours, I just make sure to mention it when making reservations. Works perfectly for her, however, she never cruises without help.

....You will find other passengers on the elevators quite interesting to deal with tho... ;)

Now THAT is definitely true! It always amazes us (and disappoints my Gram) to see how inconsiderate some people can be. Just plan ahead, leave a few minutes early during high-traffic elevator times.

• 7 months later...

Thank you all for your great info.

I will be with the parents on BOS. They are in an HC 7110 on BOS. I have convinced them both must have scooters. I have WC assistance on & off BOS in Tampa. I have booked Black Hat for Cozumel and they are aware the vehicle has too accommodate 2 scooters and 3 of us. We are doing Nachi CoCom for lunch and driver is showing Dick the Island for pix taking stuff.

Now I am trying to work something for Grand Cayman. How far do you have to walk from tender to taxi? Is it long like Cozumel, or like a long distance parking space to a shop/Taxi? Might there be benches to sit if someone needs to? I am pretty sure if no a long walk Mom and I can do it.

Has any rented 1 of those walker rotators from special needs? How much? Rather they pay and leave and we aren't trying to drag one on. I unfortunately am going through my own mobility issues.

GC seems like some of the Taxis are vans that could accommodate 1 scooter.

Are there any drivers for hire? I couldn't find any!

Maybe this way they can see some of GC, have lunch, and do a day pass thing.

Again thanks for pervious help and I could use more info on GC.