Yes or no. Do you like the new "evening chic" dress code?

A Sixth?

"evening chic" yes or no....  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. "evening chic" yes or no....

• Yes, a move forward
    • No, hate the idea.
    • Don't care

Jackets and ties no longer will be required in the main dining room on select nights onboard a Celebrity Cruises sailing. The line is replacing formal nights across its fleet with more relaxed "evening chic" nights, starting in December.

This move will get cheers and jeers!! Personally, I don't mind getting dressed up with a dark business suit. BUT, when doing long, involved trips, such as last year to Australia and New Zealand, not having to pack and deal with as much "stuff" makes things easier and less costly.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 125,903 views for this posting.

Yes, like the change. My husband doesn't mind dress slacks and a nice shirt but hates to put on a suit and tie. Especially in the Caribbean it also gets very warm and he'd end up removing his jacket at dinner anyway so what is the point. I can still wear my sparkly clothes, now a win for both of us. I, too hope it's not a slippery slope though.

I voted 'don't care'. We loved formal nights when the majority of cruisers were dressed up in formal wear including dark suits for men.

Now with airlines charging and a very high percentage of passengers not dressing in formal attire or even suits, I migrated to sports jacket, shirt, tie and stone colored chinos a number of years ago. Apparently I can now lose the jacket/tie, but will still bring them as I like a little dress up attire. I will also say that after dinner, I did go back to cabin and change into a camp shirt/chinos even when wearing a tux.

I do reserve the right to drop the jacket/tie in future if I see no need and do not use them. :)

Edited by shipshape sam

A very big vote YES!

Now, let's get real for all those who say "IF THEY ENFORCE IT...." There will be NO enforcement whatsoever, simply because there is NO SUCH THING as "evening chic". It doesn't exist. It's simply a term. People all have different standards of dress, and will now wear what they want, sans coat & tie. I don't particularly care what others wear.

Yes, Yes, Yes! Can't vote on IPad. Always enjoy meeting and dining with new people in dining room and really do not care what they are wearing. My husband and I always dressed appropriately on formal nights, and while we will never be wearing jeans and t-shirts in the dining room, we feel this new policy is more in line with what we want in a vacation.

First off, I HATE the "less packing" excuse. Secondly, Jeans (Denim) weigh a lot, much more than any of the clothes I now bring on a cruise. I never pack jeans. Thirdly, they can't even enforce smart casual, what makes you think they can enforce "evening chic".

Firstly I hate the "jeans weigh less excuse" secondly my jeans & a shirt weigh less then a tux... Thirdly you can get more use out of a pair of jeans Vs a tux... :rolleyes:

Absolutely, YES! I've worn my tux on my earlier cruises but truly look forward to the extra room in my suitcase. I don't care either way about luggage weight as that has never been a concern, but the space taken up by my tux, shoes, and accessories will now be available for other things.

Yes, yes. Yes! Cruising has never been about a dress code for us. We love the different ports and ship experience. Previously done 4 NCL cruises and big fan of their free style cruising.

Doing first Celebrity cruise in January on Reflection.

A very big vote YES!

Now, let's get real for all those who say "IF THEY ENFORCE IT...." There will be NO enforcement whatsoever, simply because there is NO SUCH THING as "evening chic". It doesn't exist. It's simply a term. People all have different standards of dress, and will now wear what they want, sans coat & tie. I don't particularly care what others wear.

Good post but few will read it. Still talking about enforcement. I don't understand how much time is wasted worrying about what others wear

First off, I HATE the "less packing" excuse. Secondly, Jeans (Denim) weigh a lot, much more than any of the clothes I now bring on a cruise. I never pack jeans. Thirdly, they can't even enforce smart casual, what makes you think they can enforce "evening chic".

Doesn't have to be jeans. Certainly won't be for me, as I'll be wearing summer weight dress pants.