Research neglect and Turkish Airlines

tray

We are a family of four (parents and 2 adult children) taking our first trip to Europe. I recently went back to work and didn't take the usual time to research flights/airlines like I would have in the past. I researched our cruise in detail but didn't think about certain aspects of the flight.

So here we are.....booked on Turkish Airways. I have read that economy leg room is horrible (hubby and son are 6'4 and daughter is 5'7), that there's only central air and that it's hot (& we have an 18 hrs flight), that TK airways has big safety issues and that food runs out quickly, etc. Oh my God......and I don't even like to fly. :eek:

Please.......anyone who has had a good e perience tell me it's overblown!!!!

We are a family of four (parents and 2 adult children) taking our first trip to Europe. I recently went back to work and didn't take the usual time to research flights/airlines like I would have in the past. I researched our cruise in detail but didn't think about certain aspects of the flight.

So here we are.....booked on Turkish Airways. I have read that economy leg room is horrible (hubby and son are 6'4 and daughter is 5'7), that there's only central air and that it's hot (& we have an 18 hrs flight), that TK airways has big safety issues and that food runs out quickly, etc. Oh my God......and I don't even like to fly. :eek:

Please.......anyone who has had a good e perience tell me it's overblown!!!!

Hi, neighbor, (Missouri City here). I had a good experience on Turkish this past Sept. round trip to Istanbul. Will admit to being short (5'2"), but I didn't notice that the leg room was any worse than other airlines in coach. The air conditioning was not a problem. Also, we certainly didn't run out of food and it was as good as most and better than some. The flight attendants were nice and the entertainment (back of the seat screens) was good. Calm down, it will be OK. (I'd never say international flights in coach are fine, I am realistic!)

I have had no issues with Turkish Air. Their planes may, in some cases, be dated but the service was excellent. I am 6'1" and don't remember being anymore cramped than with any other airline. I recall, also, that they served free Effes beer (Turkish beer) as well as soft drinks.

I've only flown Turkish domestic within Turkey, but some of my colleagues have done longhaul and enjoyed it, both in economy and business classes. Just FYI, many (most?) large longhaul aircraft don't have individual air vents in economy. Certainly something I don't like, but it's not unique to Turkish.

Not knowing which aircraft you will be on, but for example the 777-300 aircraft has 31-32 inches of seat pitch (translating to legroom), and 18 inches of width. To compare, American's 777-300 has 31 inches of pitch and 17 inches of width; United's 777-200 (they don't have any -300) has 31 inches pitch and 17 inches width; British Airway's 777-300 has 31 inches pitch and 17.5 inches width. So, in reality, legroom on Turkish is average if not better, and width is better as well.

You don't have an 18 hour flight.

This was my thought too. Maybe multiple flights adding up to 18 hours, but the longest flight in the world (Dallas to Sydney) is scheduled gate to gate at just under 17 hours.

The OP said that they're going to Europe, so they are doing the nonstop Houston to Istanbul and then a flight "back" to somewhere in Europe. So, I'm sure the total is 18 hours. Turkish is offering flights to various European airports through Istanbul much cheaper than the nonstops to the various European airports from Houston. So, they are obviously doing this to save $$$$$$.

The OP said that they're going to Europe, so they are doing the nonstop Houston to Istanbul and then a flight "back" to somewhere in Europe. So, I'm sure the total is 18 hours. Turkish is offering flights to various European airports through Istanbul much cheaper than the nonstops to the various European airports from Houston. So, they are obviously doing this to save $$$$$$.

They could also be doing, say, Houston to Washington DC to Istanbul to wherever else in Europe. The Houston to Istanbul nonstop isn't a given. And then, if they are going through somewhere like DC, that puts them on an A330-300 instead of a B777-300. The A330 has slightly different seating pitches and widths than the 777-300.

Hi, neighbor, (Missouri City here). I had a good experience on Turkish this past Sept. round trip to Istanbul. Will admit to being short (5'2"), but I didn't notice that the leg room was any worse than other airlines in coach. The air conditioning was not a problem. Also, we certainly didn't run out of food and it was as good as most and better than some. The flight attendants were nice and the entertainment (back of the seat screens) was good. Calm down, it will be OK. (I'd never say international flights in coach are fine, I am realistic!)

Hi neighbor!!! What a small world! It's so funny (& a long story!!) but my nickname in my family is Tilly :p

Thanks for your info......makes me feel less concerned! We are super excited about this trip!!!!

I just completed a 6 hour flight on Turkish Airlines.

I did t find any difference in the air circulation from any other airline. They didn't run out of food. The flight crew was very friendly.

Wonderful!!! I am already feeling more relieved! Thank you :)

I have had no issues with Turkish Air. Their planes may, in some cases, be dated but the service was excellent. I am 6'1" and don't remember being anymore cramped than with any other airline. I recall, also, that they served free Effes beer (Turkish beer) as well as soft drinks.

This makes me feel soooooooo much better that you are 6'1 & felt it was comparable to other airlines. AND..... If there's free beer, who cares about leg room after one or two!!!! Thanks!

I've only flown Turkish domestic within Turkey, but some of my colleagues have done longhaul and enjoyed it, both in economy and business classes. Just FYI, many (most?) large longhaul aircraft don't have individual air vents in economy. Certainly something I don't like, but it's not unique to Turkish.

Not knowing which aircraft you will be on, but for example the 777-300 aircraft has 31-32 inches of seat pitch (translating to legroom), and 18 inches of width. To compare, American's 777-300 has 31 inches of pitch and 17 inches of width; United's 777-200 (they don't have any -300) has 31 inches pitch and 17 inches width; British Airway's 777-300 has 31 inches pitch and 17.5 inches width. So, in reality, legroom on Turkish is average if not better, and width is better as well.

Great to know about the air vents on long haul flights! After more research last night, I just decided we can layer our clothing a bit in case we need to cool off! Also.....what a great idea to look at other airlines we have flown to compare the pitch. We will be on the 777-300 and their pitch seems comparable to what we are used to flying which is very reassuring. Thanks a bunch!

Edited by tray

This makes me feel soooooooo much better that you are 6'1 & felt it was comparable to other airlines. AND..... If there's free beer, who cares about leg room after one or two!!!! Thanks!

That said, it may not be worse than any other airline, but if your son and hubby are 6'4" I doubt they are going to be very comfortable in coach. :eek:

My ex is 6'3" and is miserable in coach seats. He books them to save money, but it isn't fun for him. (not my concern any longer though, LOL)

One of the best flights I've ever had was in August from Istanbul to Toronto. I managed to snag an exit row seat at check in for no extra cost. The flight was very comfortable, food was airline food but edible. Unlimited free drinks, snacks and drinks left out in the galley to help yourself from and IFE was excellent. I too was worried but would fly them again

Terry

Flew from LHR to Istanbul 2 years ago and really enjoyed the flight. For a flight of 3 1/2 hours, they served an excellent meal IMO. Boarding can be a bit chaotic, though as people do tend to butt in line but onboard service was fine and the attendants are very friendly. The seats seemed a little wider and more comfortable than usual. Or maybe it was just that I was exhausted from the overseas flight before.:eek:

As expained in your other topic about TK, you'll find horror stories about ANY airline out there, even the 5 star ones.

The only thing I'll tell you is that TK isn't safer or unsafer than any other airline flying in/from Europe. I don't know where you get the idea Europe doesn't have such tight rules as the US and FAA do, but that's a load of BS. Anyone telling you they do, clearly has no experience with European aviation. Airlines that do not match the safety rules will be (and many are) blacklisted from entering European airspace.

Compare the number of incidents they've had over the last year with the ones that have happened only on US ground. You'll be surprised.