2 Liberty Passengers Dead in Moped Accident

Je Souhaite

Actually saw this posted on our FB roll call Saturday like an hour after it happened. Very tragic to go on vacation and pass away. Very dangerous driving in another country. I can't imagine what their families are going thru. =(

Edited by Savlamara

OMG! I feel so sorry for their families and friends. There's no way in hell I'd right one of those mopeds, especially in Mexico. Who knows what condition those bikes are in. I rode motorcycles for 40+ years and I'd never even consider riding one of these mopeds! I hope others on these boards will think twice before doing it.

Damn shame.

Hope that this bad news helps stop someone who's thinking about

doing dangerous stuff casually in foreign places......rethinks it on their

own behalf.

Life's too short to begin with.

So sad. Pure speculation as to what happened with this poor couple, but I do know that tourists wreck on the scooters all the time. Mix of inexperience, traffic, alcohol, etc. for the various reasons.

I tend to seek adventure in my travels far from cruise-sponsored excursions, but I will not rent scooters.

We go to cozumel every June. We know a lot of people there now. Almost every day we hear of some kind of traffic accident involving a tourist from one of the cruise ships.

We stay right across from pizza hut. I have seen two accidents on that corner myself.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This is a tragic reminder to the fact that things are not the same when you travel abroad. From the laws governing the rental companies to the laws of the roads to even your own health insurance. Who knows if the scooter was maintained properly, if the rider was experienced or what the other drivers might have done to contribute to this loss. Please be aware that things aren't always as safe and sane in other countries as they are here at home. My thoughts go to the families. We enjoy our travels but we use common sense and keep safety as a priority.

I rode a moped for years when living in Hawaii (on Oahu) and my wife and I rented a couple during a cruise to Bermuda. The big Guy was watching over us and didn't have any problems. The tires of those things are narrow and just a little bit of water on the street will cause you to lose control if you're not aware. Being a bit older and a lot wiser I would never, never rent another. They are just too dangerous.

This is a sad story but an important one...don't rent mopeds!

Incredibly sad.

The cruise lines tell you over and over not to rent scooters in Cozumel but we see tourists riding them every time. On our last cruise to Cozumel, a couple at our dinner table witnessed a bad accident. It was a family of four and I think the mother lost control of her scooter. They all missed the ship home because she was in the hospital. The couple at our table was really shaken up by the experience, as you can imagine.

How incredibly sad...we saw people renting them when we were in Coz last month who had NO IDEA how to ride them and were asking for instructions..and the ones we saw ( almost across from the pier) looked in rough shape.

My husband and I ride motorcycles and would NEVER ride a bike in a foreign country. I can't believe that the original post here has a video of the victims after the fact :( How heartbreaking for their families. My deepest condolences