Turkey cancelled for rest of 2016

VMax1700

Sorry about the second thread, but having read in depth today's email from HAL It says that they have decided to cancel Turkey for the rest of 2016.

I feel sorry for the people of Turkey who are losing a lot of tourist income because of the continuing unrest.

I am grateful we went to Turkey when we did. Ephesus and Istanbul are tremendous (to name just a few places).

It's sad that the turbulent times are having such a bad effect on Turkish tourism and will cause economic problems for the people there. Very sad.

We think the situation in Turkey is very sad (DW and I really enjoy being in Turkey on land or sea). However, we do not "feel sorry" for the Turks as they have made their own bed,,,,,and now have to sink into the doodoo. Turkey is still a democratic country, and a majority has decided they want the kind of country they are getting from Pres. Erdogan. What we find puzzling is that the women of Turkey (who enjoy equal rights and the right to vote) have helped put, and keep, their current government in power. In a sense, the woman are voting for a government who wants to take away their rights. Go figure.

Hank

The last scheduled 2016 visit to Turkey is the Prinsendam's October 18th sailing. Cancellation fees for this sailing went up to 50% of the gross cruise fare beginning August 18, just a few days ago.

The last scheduled 2016 visit to Turkey is the Prinsendam's October 18th sailing. Cancellation fees for this sailing went up to 50% of the gross cruise fare beginning August 18, just a few days ago.

The itinerary was changed to Rhodos and Santorini..

We will be on the K-dam and just received notice of the cancellation to Kusadasi. We were notified a few weeks ago about Istanbul. They have changed the itinerary around and have added a stop to Sarande, Albania. Have any of you stopped there?

In addition some of the days got shuffled around which is problematic as excursions have been set up for certain days. So far all the tour operators we are dealing with have been able to handle the changes.

When I went to my bank to tell them where i going I was told my CC would be denied in Turkey. Big red flag and I deal with a major bank. I'm looking at this all in a positive way, new adventures, minor inconvenience in the big scheme of things.

we are on world cruise leaving FLL on Jan 3, 2017. Istanbul is turnaround port - 2 day visit. what email did you receive? we did not. thanks

Probably because the stop in Turkey is months away in 2017. Things might calm down between now and then.

Also, I don't understand the term "turn around port". It seems to refer to a two-day port, but where does the "turn around" come in?

Probably because the stop in Turkey is months away in 2017. Things might calm down between now and then.

Also, I don't understand the term "turn around port". It seems to refer to a two-day port, but where does the "turn around" come in?

The term "tune-around port" is used to indicate the end of a cruise/voyage for passengers. In "regular" ports like Ft. Lauderdale, Vancouver, etc. It signifies the end of a seven, or ten, or longer, cruise after which the ship will be "turned around", i.e. current passengers (plus luggage) off and new pax on (plus luggage plus stores)

Istanbul, as of now, is a turnaround port on the grand world voyage next year because it signifies the end of a GWV segment (there will be some pax staying on)

Edited by Copper10-8

The term "tune-around port" is used to indicate the end of a cruise/voyage for passengers. In "regular" ports like Ft. Lauderdale, Vancouver, etc. It signifies the end of a seven, or ten, or longer, cruise after which the ship will be "turned around", i.e. current passengers (plus luggage) off and new pax on (plus luggage plus stores)

Istanbul, as of now, is a turnaround port on the grand world voyage next year because it signifies the end of a TGWV segment (there will be some pax staying on)

Thanks, Copper. I stand enlightened.

We will be on the K-dam and just received notice of the cancellation to Kusadasi. We were notified a few weeks ago about Istanbul. They have changed the itinerary around and have added a stop to Sarande, Albania. Have any of you stopped there?

In addition some of the days got shuffled around which is problematic as excursions have been set up for certain days. So far all the tour operators we are dealing with have been able to handle the changes.

When I went to my bank to tell them where i going I was told my CC would be denied in Turkey. Big red flag and I deal with a major bank. I'm looking at this all in a positive way, new adventures, minor inconvenience in the big scheme of things.

We were in Sarande in 2009 and had a wonderful day in the countryside while there. Took a ship's excursion to a castle/fort which was about an hour and a half drive if I remember correctly. Our tour guide was fabulous and the Albanians were happy to see us. Six years ago it was a country very slowly coming out of the cold war era. Tourism was almost non-existent. We wanted to buy a postcard in the town by the castle and a woman who spoke no English put a very old card in my hand and wouldn't accept payment for it. She clearly wanted to give me something of her country. It was a touching moment that I won't forget. We came away with surprisingly good memories of a day that most people didn't enjoy at all because there wasn't 'good' shopping in Sarande and complained that HAL shouldn't have taken us there. The four of us didn't support their views.

There won't be another HAL ship there until a Turkish leadership change, IMO.

I wouldn't put money on that. I think it has more to do with stability than regime change.

Turkey is a good destination from the point of view of the cruise lines -- good infrastructure, interesting sites and history, and satisfies the need to call on a non-EU port in order to avoid charging pax onboard the VAT tax for entirety of cruise.

We may not like Turkey's increasing conservatism, but cruise ships visit countries with far worse leadership, so long as they are deemed safe.